AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my 20 year old big tower Klipsch 5.1 system with a smaller updated setup 5.1 setup. My room is a finished basement. I am looking to do bookshelf speakers upfront, stands for wallmount is fine, and wallmount bookshelf speakers for the rear. To start they will be paired with my old slow Def Tech PF1500 15" 300watt sub which I will eventualy replace with somthing smaller (10" or 12"), faster, and tighter. I am looing to spend $600 or so for my front and rear speakers. This will be a 85% Home Theater setup with some limited music.

I have looked at the following:

NHT Absolute zeros front and Superzero 2.1 rear - seem nice, good size, but might lack on bass and they are not very effecient and a little expensive.

Infinity Primus 163 front and 143 rear - Great price, great reviews, but seem way to big.

Boston Accustics - Seem to have nice speakers but I have never really liked their sound.

Def tech - SM45 front and rear - they seem nice but a little expensive and I am not sure how low they will go with only a 4.5" woofer? 100hz to meet my sub? They seem a bit big to wall mount. I dont like their Promonitor series.

They leaves me to my main question, Energy V-Mini's as front and rear or CB-20 front and CB-5 rear? Energy seems like they are a good size and fit my bugget. The V-Mini's I am affraid will leave a hole at 100hz since they are onlyl 4.5" woofers, but I love their look and size. The CB-20 and CB-5 seem nice but and the CB-20s should play lower then the V-Mini's but are they are really any better?

Thanks for any help and I am open to other ideas.

·
Registered
29,062 Posts
If you want bigger sound go for the CB-20 as fronts. Are you going to use a center speaker too?

the V Mini's are nice satellite speakers but the CB-20 will have much more bass and a fuller sound. I have RC Mini's which perform the same as the V Mini but I use them as surrounds, not front speakers. I have used them as fronts but my larger RC-10s are much better.

The V Mini will need to be crossed over at 100hz whereas the CB-20 which has a 6.5" woofer and a much larger cabinet can be crossed over at 80hz easily.

As far as your Def Tech option you should look at the SM350 which is on sale for $199/pr and much cheaper than the SM45 for similar performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325059

Another option would be the HTD Level Two speakers for $199/pr. The matching center is $129.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Center-Channel-Speaker

They offer a free 30 day in home trial too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will end up buying the matcing center for the fronts. Either the V-Mini Center or the CC-10.

What is the better rear speakers for the CB-20s as fronts, the CB-10 or CB-5? I would like to wall mount them so I would lean toward the CB-5 for the rears. Any thoughts?

I would consider the Energy V-5.1 for fronts but i cant find them for sale online.

I have never heard of HTD, are they a new company or just similar to HSU / SVS?

My brother inlaw has the SM350s and I am pretty impressed, i might even go for the SM450s as I am not too worried about the size for the fronts. I would worry that the SM series is almost 15 years old which defeats part of the reason I wanted to update to newer spearks. Plus I think the matching center for the SM series is harder to find and expenisve. Plus I could not mont the SM350 as rears because they are so big.

·
Registered
29,062 Posts

Quote:
I have never heard of HTD, are they a new company or just similar to HSU / SVS?

They are an internet direct company like SVS, HSU, Ascend Acoustics and others. They've been around since 2001.

http://www.htd.com/About-Us-HTD

The CB-10 is better than the CB-5 but if you've got space concerns then get the smaller speaker.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am still looking at these, just waiting to sell my current speakers. Is the CB-20 too big to wall mount?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts