AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!!! First time poster here... umm... few months audio enthusiast! heh..

anyway... any of you here own any of these bookshelves? what do you think of them? What kind of amplifier do you have for them?

I am thinking of buying either one of these. It's for a stereo setup. Only for listening to musics for my room. CD and FM for now. DVD-A/ SACD players to come sometime in the future when the dual format players go down in price.

the prices for these two speaker are pretty similar (if you opt for the better paradigm finish, heh)... I've listened to both of them for a few times already. And i liked Veritaz 2.2 better. Although the salesman argues that the s/40s are just powered by sony amp. which is why it doesn't sound as good as the veritaz..

the sound imaging was a tad off. when style tyler was singing 'It's amaaaazzzziinggg..."

"it's amaaa" would stay in the middle... but when he goes "ziing.." his voice would jump to the left of speaker.... and that didn't happen when i was auditioning veritas.

Again... the excuse was because of the Sony a/v receiver's being used for amplification.

soo uh.. what you guys think?

for sound source and amplification.. i was thinking of using NAD C270 with L40 cdplayer/ tuner combo. The good thing about C270 is that it is the same amp (kinda) inside the C370 integrated amp. so if ever i decide to spend some extra cash for bi amping, i'll have a matching pair of amps...

yeah.. advice seriously appreciated. Show some love to the n00b over here!!! heh..

it's for a small room. for music listening.

*note if i had the floorspace. i would definitely get s/100..

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I would get the Energys over the Paradigm. I really don't understand why so many people like Paradigm. I owned a Paradigm before (mini monitors), and have heard the Studio 20 in a store. From all of what I heard with Paradigm speakers, the monitor series sounded too rich in the bass, lacking in the midrange, and the tweeter was harsh. The Studios were just over generous on the bass. To me, Paradigms are totally unmusical. Just play a solo piano recording and you'll see how the Paradigms color the midrange.

Anyways, as i said before, I would definately get the Energys over the Paradigm. I the Energys before, sounded pretty good, but the balance was a little on the treble side. Because of this, I got Sound Dynamics instead, it uses similar or the same midrange drivers as the Energys since they are in the same distributing family (API). However, the better part of Sound Dynamics is the tweeter, it uses a soft dome. Because of this, the high notes of the Sound Dynamics is much smoother without the metal characteristics of the Energy. Although Sound Dynamics is now preety hard to find since they have been discontinued, I still recommend these models: RTS-P100, RTS-11, and RTS-9. AudioAdvisor.com carries a few models but not the ones that I listed. They do have the RTS-7, dual 5.5" woofer, 1" soft dome, and it is a tower for only $299/pair.

About for amplification, NAD products are very good sounding for the price.

James

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the balance on the treble side.. i don't mind. because i will be using an 8" sub with it.. and the sub should help balance out the sub.

anyway.. now that you mentioned about the harsh tweeters... you are the 2nd guy i heard it from. First time, i just overheard it from a customer on the store that sells Energy - he was listening to Missions. I didn't thought of it then. But loking back... when i was rewinding (err is that word still used?!?!).. err... since i kept going back to the line "It's Amazing" because of the sound imaging problem... the sound did kinda got stuck in my head. and did notice that with the veritaz 2.2, Tyler's voice did not gone as high as the paradigms. And the same with my pair of energy xl150 bookshelvs.

well.. i'm just waiting for the store to open. and i will come back with a few piano only soundtraks.. why i bothered to not bring 1 when i was listening the other day, idunno! i guess since i thought they were flagships, piano sound should be easy enough for them... lol. brought a few orchestra pieces instead.

LoTR: FoTR and Star Wars Ep II: AoTC soundtracks - yep... those were my orchestraded pieces!!!...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi, I am going to jump in here because I happen to own a pair of Veritas speakers (so obviously I am biased towards Energy). But yeah, I would take the Veritas over the Paradigm. I feel the Midrange/tweeter module in the Veritas is superior to any paradigm design to date. Also the woofer design used in the veritas is very unique. Next time you see the speakers notice how the woofers slide along the aluminum pole piece in the center, those pieces are actually bolted to the back of the cabinet.

The only negative to the Veritas 2.2 is that they will lack bass because they are smallish bookshelf speakers.

IMO, the only way to accurately audition speakers is within your own home with your own equipment because they will most certaintly sound different than in the shop. The veritas are very accurate speakers and will sound very bad with a low quality source. However, I only have 1 set of ears so I can only tell you what sounds better to me. Audio is entirely subjective. With cars or computers you can actually measure performance but with audio there is no way to prove something sounds better than something else.

I have the Veritas v2.4 which are the big brothers to the 2.2 and they are some of the best speakers I have ever heard period, regardless of price.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh... yeah...

i didn't really cared much for the bass. because i will be using a sub with it - my current s8.2 that i use with my XL150s It's not much. But it should help extended the low freqs a bit..

so bass was acctually not much of a factor on the decision... But i will be replacing the sub in the near future...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I checked the price of the Veritas 2.2 and did not know that they were that expensive. Anyways, if you are going to spend that much money on a pair of bookshelfs, listen to a pair of Revel M20s. These speakers are more accurate and better build than the Energys. Might cost a little more though. They seem like the reference bookshelf speaker under 2K.

Also, have you heard about Athena Technologies, it is a new company from the distributor API (same distributor as Energy). They have very good sounding speakers for the money, much like Sound Dynamics.

I told you about Sound Dynamics before (the second reply). Give these speakers a try. I own Sound Dynamics speakers and are so proud of them. I mean I have heard so many speakers and None, I mean none approach the quality and value these speakers provide. They are so well balanced and highly musical I can only compare them to speakers that many people cannot afford (wilson, dynaudio, revel). In fact, its musically is so good, I don't even think about upgrading. Even if I have the money! I am not kidding about Sound Dynamics awesome ability to reproduce music. I even compared my tweaked RTS-3 to a B&W Nautilus 805 and was shocked at how it sounded better than the 805. I used to have a pair of Dynaudio 1.3 and sold them because my Sound Dynamics RTS-3 sounded better overall.

James

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vertiaz 2.2 isn't really that expensive... i'm getting it for around 1,300 us for the pair after tax. The Paradigm 40s were just 850 usd equiv. for the plain mdf cabinet. and 1050 for the veneer cabinet.

Yeah.. I've heard about Athena Technologies... the reason why they cost so much less than Energy or Mirage is that they're manufactured in China. As opposed to being manufactured locally in Canada... But were engineered in Canada too though.

The speakers I REALLY AM CURIOUS ABOUT though is TagMcLaren. Well cause I am an F1 fan myself. And i seriously would wanna hear the speakers that Tag Heuer and McLaren made based on their F1 expirience...

read a few reviews on their site.. www.tagmclaren.com and it seems that most european speaker mags liked what they heard.

Anyway.. about athena... i guess they do merit atleast a listen. i've heard the audition series... and wasnt too fond of them. and the SCT series... i hope the mid and highs can sound good on their own without the subs attached to them... but maybe next week..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.