AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently designing my new home theater an am looking for any opinions on the Energy Veritas line of speakers. A search if this forum returned no results.

I was considering the V2.2i bookshelf's for the front, the V2.0c Center and the 2.2HM in-walls for the surrounds and rears

Are just not a good speaker or are they too new that folks haven't formed an opinion yet?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
wantin'atheater,

I'm not sure how you are performing the search, but I had 155 matches on the word Veritas in this forum. These speakers are not that new, they have been around, and in my opinion they are very good for the money.

I have had a pair of V2.3 main for 2 years, and recently I upgraded my center to V2.0Ci and surround to V2.0Ri . I have been very happy with the matched set for both music and home theater.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I auditioned a pair of these just a few weeks ago. I had to actively seek them out due to lack of dealers in my area and ended up traveling 75 miles to hear them (I was very interested).

They were pretty damn good, with great bottom end extension (I had them run 'em without the sub) and clarity throughout the entire range. What struck me was how detailed they were. Very very detailed. I had read that these were bright speakers and were afraid they would sound harsh.

They were also set up in a 'theater' type showroom (about 20'l x 9'w x 8'h) with carpeting, fabric walls, acoustic ceiling tiles, and several room treatments. When I asked the salesman about the potential brightness of the Veritas line (ala aluminum midrange and tweeter) he did not comment.

My point is not to bash these speakers, I liked them, alot. But my impression was that in anything other than a heavily treated room they have the potential of being harsh.

BTW, they were being run off an Arcam setup. the fmj AV8, and associated amp I believe.

As always, this was my impression only, YMMV.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have not heard the new "i" series but I did have a set of 2.2's in house for a couple of weeks. My overall opinion of the speakers is very positive but, the one area that affects me most (treble) was as issue with the 2.2's. Not that they were excessively bright of harsh, just a prominent rise in the treble region. It made them very detailed. Great recordings sounded very good indeed. Not so great recording (like most CDs) sounded poor. I chose to wait on the new Conisseour series and went with the C-7s.

·
Registered
859 Posts
"My point is not to bash these speakers, I liked them, alot. But my impression was that in anything other than a heavily treated room they have the potential of being harsh. "

They're actually far from being bright. paradigm, Def tech, Klipsch, even B&W's highs are far far more brighter than the Veritas..

I am powering them with Anthem MCA 20 (2x 220wpc) Amplifiers and i even daresay that they are ONE the warmer speakers i have ever heard.

first time out of the box, i had to get used to their warmness (a touch warm than what i like). But then again, the Anthem Amps could tame the Paradigm Studio's highs.. so it could be my amp that is warm, and not the speakers themselves...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreatBop

They're actually far from being bright. paradigm, Def tech, Klipsch, even B&W's highs are far far more brighter than the Veritas..

Actually GreatBop I think this may be more personal percieption and varying listening environments than anything else. I have auditioned all of the speakers you mentioned and found none of them excedingly bright (to the point of fatigue) except for the Paradigms.

Again, YMMV.

What I probably should have stated was I liked their presentation, but didn't think they would work in my room (with lots of brick and glass) as they would probably be much brighter than in the fheavily treated showroom.

Wantinatheater has a different room than I do, so they may work for him.

·
Registered
556 Posts
All of Energy's tweeters have a reputation for having very detailed highs with out becoming aggressive or spitty as some brands tend to (Paradigm, Klipsch & B&W come to mind) This, IMO is one of there biggest selling points.

Jonesy, if you are unable or unwilling to even do basic sound treatments like heavy drapes on windows etc then you may be better off with speakers that use soft dome tweeters such as Totem Acoustics

J.R.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah aud19, thats basicall where I'm at now. The room is as treated as it's going to get. Heard the Dynaudio 52 SE's and liked em. I'll probably go that direction (long way off).

I just saw some Totem's in person for the first time. Interesting diminuitive floorstanders (I didn't hear them). What's your take on these?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonesy09
Yeah aud19, thats basicall where I'm at now. The room is as treated as it's going to get. Heard the Dynaudio 52 SE's and liked em. I'll probably go that direction (long way off).

I just saw some Totem's in person for the first time. Interesting diminuitive floorstanders (I didn't hear them). What's your take on these?
Incredible would be in my choice of words. Their entire line sounds amazing. DynAudio sounds very similar to Totem, Totem actually uses their drivers in some of their lines. They sound fantastic as well. Two of my favorite manufacturers.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Totem's do sound awesome. I've never heard Dynaudio's myself but have read many good things about them. Personally I prefer metal over soft dome tweeters hence why I own the Energy's. But you certainly have to take your room in to consideration when purchasing and if you've got a bright room you have to get warmer speakers and electronics. That's just the way it is. Totem is a very good place to start if soft dome and warmer is your thing :)

J.R.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.