AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just picked up a pair of energy c100s for my bedroom from woot.com. I was pretty excited when I saw how cheap they were. I also ordered a c-c100 center channel to match up with these bookshelf speakers. I was given a receiver from a friend. It's a really old HK av110 with only 50 watts per channel. ? Is this sufficient for these speakers? If not, I have an onkyo 605 in my living room which has 100 watts per channel. I can upgrade the one in the living room to a 805 if need be, although I'd rather not spend the money at this time.

One more question, I have kef 3005 system in my living room. How does this compare to the c-100s. If the c100s sound better, than I may just finish out the energy setup with a sub, and a couple of rear surrounds for my living room. I can then retire my 3005 to my bedroom. I just received the pair of c100 speakers today, and they sound great for being only a pair with no center channel, and sub. I'm wondering is they're a complete set, will they outperform my kefs?

Thanks in advance,

Ivan

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Most Harman Kardon amplifier sections, since the '70s, have been more "high-current" than the competition. That 50 watts might play as loud or louder than something else rated at 100 watts. I would try it first. That woot deal on the Energys looked pretty good.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hooked it up tonight, but I have to turn up the volume to -17 for movies which is much louder than I normally do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
As long as the the H/K will play as loud (and cleanly) as you want it to, I would use it. Save your money for some future audio upgrade.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i got the C-100s from woot as well. good speaker, the bass is tighter than that of my B&W CM1s (which I spent 10x on!). The midrange and treble sound a little flatter and less effortless than that of my B&Ws, but that could partially be because I haven't broken them in yet.

I would say that based on what I've heard on the C-100s, they'll probably provide a stronger L&R pair than the KEF 3005 satellites, given the larger woofer that they have (extend deeper). That said, the KEF setup is quite a bit prettier than the C-100...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The aesthetics of the kefs are what originally drew me in. If these energy's sounds better, I'm gonna put them in the living room in place of the kefs. From what I can tell, the energy seems much more full which I guess is due to the woofer. Then again, The kefs have pristine clarity. Hearing an acoustic guitar on them is a treat. I can hear each guitar strum very clearly. I have no where to audition the energy locally in a 5.1 setup, and I think it's unfair that I judge them based on the 3.0 setup that I have now in my bedroom.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivas /forum/post/15591764

The kefs have pristine clarity. Hearing an acoustic guitar on them is a treat. I can hear each guitar strum very clearly.

I second that, the only caveat is that they can't play all types of music with equal measure.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, when I watch movies. The kefs sound anemic, and sometimes "tinny" compared to the energys. The dialogue in movies is sometimes hard to understand. I'm always fumbling with the remote, turning up the volume during dialogue, and turning it down during explosions and such. Which is weird, because vocals in music sound excellent. I dont have to do that with the energy.

I havent yet calibrated the kefs with an spl meter, but I did do the audyssee calibration.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts

Quote:
I have no where to audition the energy locally in a 5.1 setup, and I think it's unfair that I judge them based on the 3.0 setup that I have now in my bedroom.

Bring the KEF sub into the bedroom when you test the Energy's. Or test the Energy's in the room where the KEFs are located. If you use banana plugs, you can quickly disconnect and reconnect each set of speakers.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts

Quote:
I just picked up a pair of energy c100s for my bedroom from woot.com. I was pretty excited when I saw how cheap they were. I also ordered a c-c100 center channel to match up with these bookshelf speakers. I was given a receiver from a friend. It's a really old HK av110 with only 50 watts per channel. ? Is this sufficient for these speakers? If not, I have an onkyo 605 in my living room which has 100 watts per channel. I can upgrade the one in the living room to a 805 if need be, although I'd rather not spend the money at this time.

I have a HK 325 that's only 55 watts per channel and it has no problem powering the Energy C-100s. Its definitely louder and cleaner than my Onkyo that claims to have more power. Your 110 will be fine. The volume control goes to 0 or even +5. You still have room to go louder even if you're playing it a -17 right now.

You should probably recalibrate your system too with the new speakers. You can adjust the channel level for each speaker and for each input on the HK.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The KEF 3005 setup still has wonderful resale value. $900+ isn't out of the question if you know how to sell.

If you aren't happy with it by all means flip it while it's still got value. That amount of money should buy a lot of SQ if you can deal with bigger speakers.

I think the KEF's are great but there are sacrifices in such a small satellite, and sub is merely average for a 10" imho. That level of money opens up a lot of options.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you think that the energy's would sound better since they're bookshelf speakers though?

The cheapest option for me if I were to replace my kefs would be to sell my kefs, and buy this.

http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...rs/33/144559//

take my current pair of c100's and c-c100 and use them as surrounds and center with the speaker set linked above. Then take c50's and put them in the bedroom, and have money left over for a new receiver.

basically that would come out to

living room:

2x c-300 as LR mains

c-c100 as center channel.

2x c-100 as rear surrounds

I'll buy a sub also

Bedroom:

2x c50 as LR mains

c-c50 as center

1 - 12 of 12 Posts