Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at getting the onkyo TX-DS696 and am currently debating between Polk Audio's RM6600 and the rough equivelent on the Energy side.

Opinions?

I need a very small set of speakers, the smaller the better due to my apartment size.

Thanks all,

friendlyghost

·
Registered
413 Posts
Take a look at Definitive Technologies ProCinema 80. Satellites are a mere 4 lbs. They have incredible sound for their size. I am using them with an Integra 6.2.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Listening is different room with different stuff I much prefered the Energy to the Polks. That said I think you should also look at Gallo Acoustics (smaller) and Aura Sounds Baby Grand and new Whisper system. Cheap and excellent sounding stuff.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When I was looking for a small sub/sat system I too auditioned the two Energy offerings as well as several Polk's. Although speaker choices are always going to be a matter of personal preference and individual room response, my recommendation between the two is Energy. The Encore system wins hands down verses anything Polk has to offer, IMO. However, the Take 5.2 is a next best against the Encores for about have the cost.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just went through this audition phase starting with the Energy 5.2s, the Encores, the Polk RM6600 and RM7500/7600s.

I did this "blind" focusing using the same receiver playing music in a DLP II mode and then the same speakers in a surround application. I drove the salesperson crazy switching back and forth in a numerical order.

As a long-time Energy Take 5 user, I was surprised in the order of my preferences. As your results may vary my opinions are simple:

Polk RM6600s - back of the bunch.

I liked the Encores much better than the 5.2s

I didn't expect to like the Polk RM7500/7600 as much as I did.

So I managed to find the RM7500s for $599 locally and bought those along with the PSW-650 sub. I've been enjoying them for the last month.

Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JokJok
Are you stating that the 5.2 are better than the Encore?

How about the PSB Alpha Intro?

Thanx
JokJok,

Assuming you're directing that question to me, the answer is no. The Encores are better than the 5.2. I didn't audition the Alpha's, so I won't comment on a comparison to them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fishferbrains
I just went through this audition phase starting with the Energy 5.2s, the Encores, the Polk RM6600 and RM7500/7600s.

I did this "blind" focusing using the same receiver playing music in a DLP II mode and then the same speakers in a surround application. I drove the salesperson crazy switching back and forth in a numerical order.

As a long-time Energy Take 5 user, I was surprised in the order of my preferences. As your results may vary my opinions are simple:

Polk RM6600s - back of the bunch.

I liked the Encores much better than the 5.2s

I didn't expect to like the Polk RM7500/7600 as much as I did.

So I managed to find the RM7500s for $599 locally and bought those along with the PSW-650 sub. I've been enjoying them for the last month.

Good luck in your quest!
Personally, I found the RM7500 did not have enough detail, especially in the midrange which I considered muddy. As far as the PSW650 sub (which is suggested to comp-liment the RM7500's), I thought it was too boomy (which for HT is not terrible); Not tight enough for music (hence loss of detail and low note definition).

I found the 8" Encore sub to be very tight (excellent for music) though it could not produce reference level HT effects. Of course, at that price range there is always compromise.

For a small sub/sat combo that would deliver a resonable performance for both music and HT, the Encores should be, IMHO, a top choice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would also be remise if I didn't mention Paradigm. If you want something that can handle more power than the Cinemas, you can mix and match various speakers from their Performance Series. Paradigm is, without a doubt, one of the best values (price/performance ratio) in speakers today. You definitely should check them out if you can. Personally, I found it extremely difficult to find a dealer that carried Paradigm & Energy for a side by side comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.