AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ... so ... i am ditching my cable company .... enough!

Question........

I now have an antenna connected to TV. How do I get the TV sound to come out of Receiver and thus my home theater?

My TV is Panasonic TH50PX60U (see pic of back of it I attached here) and my receiver is Denon 4311.

Question #2 is ..... what other equipment should I add to this set up to improve my "non cable tv" TV programming? HD converter or something?

thank you

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

Your TV has a built-in tuner so you shouldn't need any converters or additional equipment besides the antenna. With broadcasts being digital now, they should be clear and shouldn't need any improvement. If you're having pixelation issues or don't receive many channels, your antenna may not be very good quality. If it is a directional antenna, it also may be pointed in the wrong direction. You can use the link below and type in your zip code or address and it will tell you where the towers that transmit the signals are so you know where to 'aim' for signal

http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1520137/enough-of-cable-bills-no...from-tv-to-receiver-please-help#post_24416994

1) use the digital audio out jack on the back of the TV.

It's called a Toslink cable. Connected into back of the AVR.
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Toslink-Cable-Feet-Optical/dp/B004LSNF04

2) can't answer, I live in the sticks, my only option is Satellite .

where is my Optical input on TV? I can't seem to find it on the back of the TV.

thanks

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718  /t/1520137/enough-of-cable-bills-no...from-tv-to-receiver-please-help#post_24417691

thanks

It's an optical OUTPUT....out to your AVR.

It is to the left of all of the other jacks,right next to "ANT" jack.

Reactions: old corps

·
Registered
7,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718  /t/1520137/enough-of-cable-bills-no...from-tv-to-receiver-please-help#post_24417691

thanks

Right next to the antenna input, it says "Digital Audio Out". That's it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so now, on the receiver that optical cable goes into (IN) Optical TV) right?

so to get that input to work, on remote what should be selected? to indicate to receiver to pull sound from that input.

thank you

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718  /t/1520137/enough-of-cable-bills-no...from-tv-to-receiver-please-help#post_24417738

ok, so now, on the receiver that optical cable goes into (IN) Optical TV) right?

so to get that input to work, on remote what should be selected? to indicate to receiver to pull sound from that input.

thank you

Correct. I'm not familiar with your remote but there should be TV button for audio...........

Ed

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718  /t/1520137/enough-of-cable-bills-no...from-tv-to-receiver-please-help#post_24417738

thank you

That's were the fun begins!
You may have to go into your AVR menu

And "assign" to optical input to the tv button/setting. Most AVR's assume

That you are going to use HDMI.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1520137/enough-of-cable-bills-no...from-tv-to-receiver-please-help#post_24417753

That's were the fun begins!
You may have to go into your AVR menu

And "assign" to optical input to the tv button/setting. Most AVR's assume

That you are going to use HDMI.

+1

I'm guessing it might say TV on the remote since it appears that is the default assignment on the receiver.

Ed

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I'll find out tonight :)

I feel bad I didn't get rid of cable a long time ago. But when they increased my service from $100 to $140 with absolutely no way to get a discount, it was enough for me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another thing to bare in mind is that some TVs only process 5.1 channel audio from OTA sources. So if you have a smart TV, or Roku/Apple TV going into the TV via HDMI, you may not get multi channel sound from that source. Just an FYI.

I've been a cord cutter for years and it only gets better. The only live content I watch is football...so I get that in high def with multichannel audio right over the air. All other content is online. It's really liberating and saves a ton of money.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80  /t/1520137/enough-of-cable-bills-no...from-tv-to-receiver-please-help#post_24417960

I'm assuming your HDTV does not have HDMI OUT (or HDMI return)

The easy way to get sound from your TV to your AVR is to use the TV headphone jack (or audio OUT) and connect it on the AVR side with RCA plugs to TV/DVD IN.

Your cable should look like this: http://www.parts-express.com/35mm-slim-plug-male-to-2-x-rca-male-adapter-cable-5-ft--240-065

If your TV has the Optical OUT, then I agree with others, that would be your best option.

The only option that will get him multichannel audio is optical. I don't know of many (if any) TVs that have HDMI out, and the other options you mentioned only provide stereo output.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you have internet to your house, (I'm guessing you do, since you're on this forum), you should get a Roku. Get the cheapest one - it only outputs 720p video, but you have a 720p TV, so it's perfect. They're only $49.99, and they work great. If you have a wireless router in your house to use laptops, etc, it's a snap to hook the Roku up to your wifi, and you can stream the dozens, hundreds, of free internet video sources in 720p hd to your TV. A Netflix online subscription is still only $8/mth I think, and gives you access to a LOT of content. Hell, they just added the last series of Breaking Bad, so right there it's worth it. If you don't have a wireless router, you should get one - get a refurb from newegg.com or somewhere, it'll only be about $29.99, and you're off to the races. Youtube is fantastic these days btw - it's not all just kittens playing the piano - there are channels dedicated to a multitude of things. I watch full length rugby matches from Europe and Australia/NZ for instance. It's free. Pandora is on the newest high end Rokus, but not the lower end models, (I think). I set my 85yr old mother in law up with exactly this combination two years ago, and she's now a Netflix pro - loves it.

BTW - I still have almost that exact TV - I have the TH50PX75U - it's still got a great picture, but lightning took out its HDMI port

·
Premium Member
93,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novum Dives  /t/1520137/enough-of-cable-bills-no...v-to-receiver-please-help/0_100#post_24417970

The only option that will get him multichannel audio is optical. I don't know of many (if any) TVs that have HDMI out, and the other options you mentioned only provide stereo output.

He was referring to HDMI(ARC) that is featured on most every HDMI 1.4 TV going back 3 years; however the OP's TV pre-dates HDMI(ARC) and although his AVR has the feature, unless the TV does as well, the audio cannot be passed back to the AVR over the HDMI cable that connects them. Also note that although a couple of years ago it was true that HDMI(ARC) could only pass stereo PCM 2.0 audio, many current 2013 models will actually pass DD 5.1 or DD+ (Netfflix) via the HDMI(ARC) connection.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novum Dives  /t/1520137/enough-of-cable-bills-no...tv-to-receiver-please-help/0_50#post_24417970

Thanks, it's called ARC (audio return channel) and I thought I was going crazy to mention it! I was sure I knew what it was, until you challenged the idea, then I wasn't sure.

http://hdguru.com/what-is-hdmi-arc-and-what-does-it-do-for-your-hdtv/

Now I'm sure.

+++

Edit: Sorry Mr. Smoothie, I should have read the entire thread instead of responding prematurely. Your explanation was much better than mine.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718  /t/1520137/enough-of-cable-bills-no...from-tv-to-receiver-please-help#post_24418300

any benefit from using....

Viewtv At-163 ATSC Digital TV Converter Box and Media Player w/ Recording PVR Function / HDMI Out / Coaxial Out / Composite Out / USB Input

http://www.amazon.com/Viewtv-Converter-Recording-Function-Composite/dp/B00GGVPKKC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1393538703&sr=8-4&keywords=hdtv+dvr

The documentation is skimpy, but in general this class of device is stereo-only, no multichannel.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, Optical cable made everything work fine. I do get 5.1 channels in Dolby from my Antenna TV watching.

only issue is ... most channels display in 720p and only channel 4 and 2 are in 1080i.

how do I better this?

also, seems like when I walk by the antenna, picture gets lost or pixalated. Will a better quality antenna do a better job? I am awaiting a delivery of my Mohu Curve 30 Designer HDTV Antenna tomorrow. For now, using Radio Shacks $10 antenna.

and last but not least ............. reprogrammed my universal remote Harmony to function with my new TV watching .... everything works fine, BUT ... i still can't make universal remote change channels of the TV. Still have to use my TV remote to do this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts