AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a while since pirates of the Carribean has debuted on Starz-HD and its still upconverted.Love that its OAR but come on lets get it in true HD already! I would think they would have corrected this by now.What are thay waiting for over there? Sorry just needed to rant about this. J.H.

· Registered
720 Posts
Yeah, you can immediately tell it's not true HDTV. Still with the OAR picture and DD 5.1 sound it's worth archiving if you don't already own the DVD.

Pirates surprised me. I was expecting something mindless but instead got a very entertaining and humorous film. Depp was top-notch as the somewhat brain-addled Captain Sparrow.

Kurt

· Registered
17,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carlos_Salcedo
There's nothing to correct...this is not a StarZ problem...this is a Disney problem...they are the ones that won't release the HD master to StarZ. If you really want to vent...email Disney...I have many of times...
Your source of information for this? Because usually it's whether the broadcaster is willing to pay extra for an HD transfer or not.

Whether an HD version is available or not, it costs more to send it to the station in HD. If it gets shipped on tape, it costs the studio a $100 D5 tape as it doesn't get returned. If it's sent via satellite, it costs more in transponder bandwidth rental. So, usually this cost gets passed on to the station.

· Registered
8,759 Posts
Would that cost be per about a million viewers?

· Registered
2,750 Posts
I sincerely hope Starz doesn't have it in HD because they won't put out another $100.

Shouldn't we expect a newer (and big name) movie like this was transfered in HD for the dvd?

· Registered
13,761 Posts
Many Miramax titles are distributed in Canada by a different company and that is why titles like KILL BILL V1 & V2 are shown in HD. Other than that, forget about it. If Disney has the rights here or wherever, it won't be show in HD.

· Registered
3,644 Posts
LOTR : Return of the King *should* be HD/OAR on Starz, since the previous 2 LOTR films have been shown in 2.35:1 on Starz in the past (The Two Towers was shown several times OAR, it was the extended version also!!!)....

it seems that most New Line transfers on StarzHD are OAR.......for instance, when HBO (or was it cinemax?) was showing Goldmember cropped, it showed up 2.35:1 on Starz.

that being said, i'm getting sick and tired of all the crop jobs that routinely show up on HBO, Cinemax, and StarzHD....

· Registered
13,761 Posts
Actually, both FELLOWSHIP and TTT were cropped (Fellowship was open matted about half the time) on Starz. ROTK will likely be cropped as well, unless clearer heads at both Starz and New Line prevail.

The Extended versions were played (not very frequently) and were OAR because Peter Jackson only allowed OAR HD masters to be made. All of us HD hounds are begging God to make Starz repeat the FELLOWSHIP Extended since no one had the ability to record it at the time it aired.

· Registered
3,644 Posts
matt -

i didn't know that, that's horrible. especially since most New Line titles seem to be shown OAR on Starz.....

judging by the running time i doubt they will be showing the EE version of ROTK in november....it better be OAR!!!!

oleus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.