AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is really sickening thinking of all the people living with small TVs because "it had to fit my entertainment center." This is really a stupid way to approach TV buying. The entertainment center was created to fit TVs, not the other way around.

If I would have followed this method for buying TVs, I would probably be stuck with a tiny 19" TV!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, if you were starting from scratch I would agree. In my case we bought a house with a custom built in that is too nice to tear down. It would probably cost about $6,000 to build another one. It's a beautiful piece of furniture that my wife will not part with. A HLN467 will fit perfectly in the space but was made for a 36" direct view set. There are a lot of people in the same boat.

Gombo

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am amazed at how long it is taking furnitrue makers to catch on.

When I decided I needed a stand to handle a 34-inch wide-screen, I looked all over the place, including many of the online furniture websites that have TV stand lines. Sauder, Bush, etc. Very few of these TV stands were big enough and when you find one that is big enough, it is low. (Too low and if you sit back with you your feet up, you're trying to watch between your toes)

I ended up having a piece custom-made, which had its own hassles: having to match the color of the room, 8 weeks for delivery. And I had to do it before ordering the TV, because otherwise, the TV would have to sit on the floor.

When you take furniture into account, you start to realize the appeal of plasma. I spent $800 on the custom-made piece.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say you guys aren't married.

I would have gone for that metallic look when I was a bachelor.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tech_rich

Reminds me of the days I had a bachelor pad. I had all black lacquer furniture with the Memorex poster on the wall. You know the one with the guy sitting in his chair getting blown away. Those were the days. Now the wife wants to hide the TV?

Gombo

·
Registered
385 Posts
True, not married, but when you got a 36 inch silver and grey tv, it looks perfect on a matching stand. I believe electronics can have there place in a well decorated room if done properly. For example, I use silver and black for all my electronics (after all, they are by design, modern) but earth tones and more tradtional fabrics for pieces associated with everyday living. Strangely enough, every lady who's ever been over has made nothing but positive comments on how I've got everything set up.

Want a picture? ................okay. You can see the edge of the tv on the left.

Click here then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FYI:

Hooker Furniture is sold in most medium-end furniture stores, and makes some nice pieces. Their website allows you to filter entertainment centers by TV size:

I can't post the link here b/c of the whole # of posts issue, but look for hookerfurniture.com

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have my 910 on a beautiful b'ello stand but it hangs over the edges on both sides by about an inch. I don't like the common practice of putting tv's close to the floor. I like my viewing to be eye level. Otherwise I'd just get the sony stand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I spec'd out entertainment centers to fit a 36xbr450...by then the 40xbr700 was out and luckily the entertainment center I found to fit the 36 was able to hold the 40 by taking the back off and removing the pocket doors from inside. Perfect fit, just hard putting the tv in from the back! Looks custom. Broyhill Millwood Creek entertainment center ($1300)...nice looking but still particle board on the sides. That series has since been discontinued but unless you want to spend the really big bucks its a good compromise, holds my gear and is at the right height...Hooker was the only other brand at the time that would fit and for that you're talking 2-3 grand - as much as another tv!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow, $3000 for the Hooker? We priced the one for the 40" Sony XBR at a local retailer - they would special order it for $1452.

I can't post the link, but if you go to hooker furniture.com, its product number:

503-55-229 Chateau Philippe Collection

Its essentially a large armoir that will hold massive TVs

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joemama
Wow, $3000 for the Hooker? We priced the one for the 40" Sony XBR at a local retailer - they would special order it for $1452.

I can't post the link, but if you go to hooker furniture.com, its product number:

503-55-229 Chateau Philippe Collection

Its essentially a large armoir that will hold massive TVs
I have this unit and it is an excellent piece of furniture. I plan on putting plasma in this unit when the prices go down. Right now I have the RCA 38F310 along with the following:

Phillips DSR6000

JVC DVD Player

Yamaha Receiver

Polk Center Channel Speaker

Sony Carousel CD Player

Motorola HD Cable Set Top Box

JVC VCR

and about 200 DVD and CD's.

I had to find this unit before my wife would let me buy the RCA and an after an extensive search I could not find another enclosed unit that would fit the RCA and all of my gear.

Regards

Jeff

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've done some digging lately looking for something to fit a possible new tv. Now, I'm not planning on getting anything fancy in the tv land, probably just a 32" or so, but I have to admit I'm finding it tough to find an entertainment center that I like that a) isn't extremely expensive, and b) big enough to fit the tv. Heck, the way things are now with tv's, a lot of the 27" tvs no longer fit in the unit I have my current 27" in (a lot of tv's have the speakers on the side now, which is annoying, since I don't use the tv speakers). I don't really want to spend a lot either, since this tv is mostly a stopgap until I get something better, largely so I can move the 27 upstairs to watch hockey up there (hockey on a 13" tv sucks). Sauder especially has a lot of things that are listed as fitting certain sized tv's, but they obviously hasn't looked at the size of tv's these days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tech_rich

took the words out of my mouth :D :D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.