AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Engadget

Every Thursday Michael Gartenberg of Jupiter Research contributes an interesting item of gadget-related research data. This week’s factoid: TV on a PC.

With the release this week of Media Center 2005 from Microsoft, the age old discussion emerges of whether consumers really want to watch TV on their PCs. A recent JupiterResearch survey reports that only 34 percent of online users want to record TV on their PCs to watch on their PCs’ monitors. That, however, isn’t the real question to ask. When asked about the ability to record TV on their PCs and then watch this content on their TV, the number of consumers interested changes dramatically to 51 percent. PC hardware and networking OEMs do have an opportunity to broaden their entertainment reach into passive video—including DVD, TV, and personal video recorder (PVR) functionality. However, the opportunity involves supplementing, not replacing, homes’ primary TVs and is going to require a significant amount of education and marketing to be successful.

http://www.weblogsinc.com/common/ima...5122377645.JPG

Question: Sample was split randomly into two equal parts: “Computer manufacturers are developing new technologies that will allow you to use your computer to manage media, video, audio, games, etc. You will be able to create and edit music, video, etc. on your computer, but watch and listen through the TV, stereo, etc. Which of the following activities are you interested in doing on such a computer, using your TV and stereo or home theater system? (Select all that apply.)â€

Source: Jupiter Research/Ipsos-Insight Consumer Survey (7/03), n = 1,432 (US only)

©2004 Jupiter Research, a division of Jupitermedia Corporation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Gartenberg is vice president and research director for the Personal Technology & Access and Custom Research groups at Jupiter Research in New York. Contact him at [email protected] . His weblog and RSS feed are at http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg.

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My only problem with recording TV on a PC is that you would need to almost dedicate that PC to that function which I don't think the average J6P would want to do or even realizes.

· Registered
2,556 Posts
You mean the infamous household "media server"??? Gee, where have I heard that before??? I think in 10 years every new house will have one the same way they come with heating and air. Media server, furnace controller, burglar alarm, plus the interface to connect to the fridge with the touch panel that says "buy milk" or kick off the dryer when rates are lowest, etc.

· Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loren Kruse.
My only problem with recording TV on a PC is that you would need to almost dedicate that PC to that function which I don't think the average J6P would want to do or even realizes.
yer memory was being modal and surely lapsed

An XBOX marketed differently would be that dedicated PC of which you speak.

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
yer memory was being modal and surely lapsed

An XBOX marketed differently would be that dedicated PC of which you speak.
But that is not what the people answering the above questionnaire were thinking. Plus performing multiple activities on any device where you can add/remove software makes it vulnerable to failure.

· Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by adone36
You mean the infamous household "media server"??? Gee, where have I heard that before??? I think in 10 years every new house will have one the same way they come with heating and air. Media server, furnace controller, burglar alarm, plus the interface to connect to the fridge with the touch panel that says "buy milk" or kick off the dryer when rates are lowest, etc.
And it is sad to say that the ReplayTV is so close to being a full featured media server...

· Registered
8,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin'EZ
Has anyone found a PC video/tuner or PVR card that can produce a decent picture on a 32" TV?
There are HDTV tuner cards for PCs. If you want to hedge your bets against the July 1, 2005 Broadcast Flag cut off date you might want to get one.

I plan to get a linux version soon (if I'm not too late) and put it under my bed for a year or two.

They go for ~$200 though.

I need to figure out if they will output to non-HDTVs.

It seems to me the media companies are laying low like a submarine with everything shut off. For instance, no gripes against 4xxx/5xxx owners using RTV IVS, HBO isn't turning on their macrovison to stop premium recordings. It's hard to tell the future because the broadcast flag is so riduculous in the first place. However, the broadcast flag has been coming for a long time and it doesn't seem anything is stoping it. And the few people who talk about it (like I am right now) come off as uncredible alarmists. Hmm, I think I'll visit the HDTV forums again. I asked about it a few months ago but there wasn't any enlightening replys.

The point in brief is that you might want to look into it and form an opinion on buying a $200 HDTV card instead of a $100 standard card.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.