AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Enter the Matrix game for Xbox is going to support 720p (or 1080i!)?


I'm seriously considering getting an Xbox just to be able to play this game in my HT! :D


(EDITED to change 720i to 720p...DUH)
 

·
Preditor
Joined
·
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davewood
Does anyone know if the Enter the Matrix game for Xbox is going to support 720i (or 1080i!)?


I'm seriously considering getting an Xbox just to be able to play this game in my HT! :D
It will support both, plus 5.1 audio
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool. Curious how you know that (I searched all over and couldn't find that information).


Thanks!!!


-dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bwiklem
I'm working on the product
Dude, you have got to be kidding! I have read everything I can get my hands on about Enter the Matrix and there has been not even a HINT that it might be HD.


I mean, I hope you're right. That would be awesome. But considering the game is coming out in less than a month you'd think that would be established by now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
bwiklem,


Thanks for the scoop!!! I have been waiting for an HD shooter. Based on your info I will pre-order Enter the Matrix.


The contempt with which the gaming community treats HDTV is frustrating. Heck, Microsoft's own Xbox website usually doesn't mention resolution on their HD games. They must think that all gamers are pimple faced 15 year olds playing on a 27" TV. Don't they realize that a lot of their best customers are affluent 30 somethings with fancy home theater set ups?


bwiklem, can you give a mini-review?

1. What games is ETM similar to?

2. Is the playability on the level of Halo?

3. What's the replay value?

4. Is the high resolution taken advantage of?

5. How big are the levels?

6. Can you roam around levels like GTA?


This is great news! Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
bwiklem,


I totally believe you, but I am astounded that Enter the Matrix is an HD title. Why hasn't this feature been talked up more? I would assume the marketing department at Shiny would want to get the word out how great Enter the Matrix is. True crime won't be out for many months and they are making a big deal out of that it's HD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I had been assuming that it wasn't going to be HD given how much I had searched for that information without being able to find it. This is great news as it gives me a great excuse (for myself anyway) to get an Xbox now! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
I am sorry guys, but I must be the devil's advocate here. Maybe the Xbox has some magical components that make it do extrodinary things, but I am very very skeptical that any game that is not cell shaded or like Dragon Lair will run 1080i. Think about it, is there any game on the PC right now that will run at the resolution of 1920x1080 and will still run smooth on a GeForce3 card??! And we are not talking and old engine like HalfLife here. I assume Matrix will have T&L lighting, bump mapping, and descent polycount models. The GeForce3 chip has only SO MUCH POWER. It just seems very very improbable. Now 720p is a much more attainable setting and since Soul Caliber 2 is going to be 720p I could see how the Matrix game could easily be. I just won't be holding my breathe for 1080i games until Xbox2. Sorry guys, my opinion. But someone here tell me how a GeForce3 chipset can run such a high resolution with advanced shaders and mapping and keep a steady framerate!


|..frizzo..|
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,387 Posts
I personally don't care if the game is in Hi Def or not. As long as it's a good quality game I'll be picking it up. However, in all honesty(no offense bwiklem) I'm not expecting it to be as most movie games aren't all that great. However, I hope I am wrong and it turns out to be something both fun and innovative. I know that the Wachawskis are big gamers and that they worked with the developers a lot, so I have more hopes for this game than any other game based on a movie. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not only did they work with the game developers a lot, but they shot several HOURS of additional footage for the game using the real actors. The motion capture stuff was done with the real actors as well. Apparently, Niobe's script for the game was more involved than her script for the movie.


The way it's described, it also sounds as though you'll actually get more out of the movie if you also play the game. The example I've read is that in the movie a scene may start with someone walking through a door while in the game you'll actually see what happens to that character up until the point they go through the door. Really sounds quite impressive to me (for what that's worth coming from a non-gamer who may get an Xbox just for this game).
 

·
Preditor
Joined
·
1,510 Posts
Quote:
However, in all honesty(no offense bwiklem) I'm not expecting it to be as most movie games aren't all that great.
None taken, as I agree with you, most movie games aren't great (or even good). I think this one will turn some heads. But as stated previously, I'm not going to say much, would rather see what people think on their own without commentary affecting their opinion.


Still loved Batman on the Sega Genesis, great movie game.

Quote:
The way it's described, it also sounds as though you'll actually get more out of the movie if you also play the game
That's one of the things that separates it from practically all movie games. It's not a game version of the exact movie you watched (with some other fluff to make it a game thrown in). It's a parallel story that intersects with the movie in key scenes. Those who watch the movie and play the game will have a greater understanding of the story and movie vs. the person that just plays the game or just watches the movie. And if you watched the "Final Flight of the Osiris" that was in theaters recently, where that story ends, the game story begins.


Hang in there, a few more weeks and you'll be able to check it out for yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by frizzo
I am sorry guys, but I must be the devil's advocate here. Maybe the Xbox has some magical components that make it do extrodinary things, but I am very very skeptical that any game that is not cell shaded or like Dragon Lair will run 1080i. Think about it, is there any game on the PC right now that will run at the resolution of 1920x1080 and will still run smooth on a GeForce3 card??! And we are not talking and old engine like HalfLife here. I assume Matrix will have T&L lighting, bump mapping, and descent polycount models. The GeForce3 chip has only SO MUCH POWER. It just seems very very improbable. Now 720p is a much more attainable setting and since Soul Caliber 2 is going to be 720p I could see how the Matrix game could easily be. I just won't be holding my breathe for 1080i games until Xbox2. Sorry guys, my opinion. But someone here tell me how a GeForce3 chipset can run such a high resolution with advanced shaders and mapping and keep a steady framerate!


|..frizzo..|
This is totaly different. 1920x1080 on a comp. monitor is TOTALY different than 1080i. 1920x1080 on a comp. monitor is 1080p a much higher resolution. 1080i and 720p both use about the same amount of data. There should be no reason a game can't do both 1080i and 720p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,010 Posts
VTBoy,


1080i is equivilant to 540x1920, 60 times a second. Thus 62,208,000 pixels a second.


720p = 27,648,000 pixels a second.


So 1080i requires over half the data as 720p. Considering the vast statistical difference it is amazing how similar they appear when viewed on an HDTV.


How this affects the quality of presentation on the Enter the Matrix game, I have no idea.
 
1 - 20 of 156 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top