AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new entertainment wall is literally being delivered now as we needed more storage space and a good centerpiece for a small living room space (22 x 15 with 10 ft ceilings).

I currently have a Panasonic plasma TH-42PHD8 (no speakers) where I run the sound through a ~20 year old Technics high school all in one stereo...no joke.

So now I get to buy a receiver and speakers but don't know where to start outside of CNET and Consumer Reports reviews.

Speakers:

I don't know where to start. I have read several threads and keep seeing the Energy Take Classic as a popular recommendation but I have also seen people adamant about doing it piecemeal. I am open but need some guidance.

Receiver:

I have been considering the Pioneer 1019AH-K but overall I am not looking to go over $1000 with the whole purchase. Here is what I am looking to hook up:

DVD - Pioneer DV-444 (not blu-ray)

Wii

HD DVR - Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD

That is it for now. I suppose I'll have to purchase a CD player but we don't use that much anymore. Would consider a blu-ray upgrade but I am not dying for it. Use an iPhone/iPod, hence the interest in the 1019.

Any help on the speakers or receiver would be appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
751 Posts
Nice receiver you've selected, but that's going to eat too much of your $1k budget, IMO, particularly considering the TV you have. Does it have the optional HDMI input? If not, you can pick up a bargain non-HDMI receiver instead, and direct the savings into speakers. Sounds like a key feature for you is Ipod connectivity. Just about any AV receiver will work well with an Ipod, though you'll have to check about on-screen display of your library and album art, etc., if that's something that's important to you. Try posting in the receiver forum. And search Audiogon.

As for speakers, the Take Classics would be a fine choice. My brother in law has that set and is very happy. For me, they're just too small and limited in output. But, the speakers are a BIG part of my TV room. It comes down to you level of interest in AV equipment and your lifestyle. If you want something unobtrusive but competent, you can't do much better than the Take Classics for the money. "Going piecemeal" requires a lot more effort on your part. And, not just in shopping. If you are going to go with larger speakers, you should take care in placing them and learning a bit about room acoustics. If you're more of the set it and forget it type, stick with the a Take Classic -type packaged system. I'm a big fan of Harman International's products, so I'll also recommend the Infinity Primus series:
http://store.audioholics.com/product.php/2058/0 . Check out the owner's thread if you want more info or endorsements.

A competitor to the Take Classics is Klipsch's Quintent II system:
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synerg.../dp/B00009L1UX . I haven't heard it, but recall some favorable discussion.

Paradigm is another brand you should consider, though this particular system is pushing your budget:
http://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-Cinem...4&sr=1-1-fkmr1

Good luck, and if you can decide between the micro systems and larger bookshelf models, I can provide more suggestions.

Oh, and why do you need to buy a separate CD player? Won't your DVD player do that?

· Registered
1,379 Posts
What is the speaker size you are looking for? Will you be hanging it on the wall? Place it on a stand? For me, I am just not a fan of those tiny, dinky, little speakers. Bookshelves would be the smallest I would go. I would suggest you looking into refurbished receiver to save you some money. A $500 receiver will definately limit your selection on speakers and subwoofer.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amicusterrae /forum/post/18125144

Nice receiver you've selected, but that's going to eat too much of your $1k budget, IMO, particularly considering the TV you have. Does it have the optional HDMI input? If not, you can pick up a bargain non-HDMI receiver instead, and direct the savings into speakers. Sounds like a key feature for you is Ipod connectivity. Just about any AV receiver will work well with an Ipod, though you'll have to check about on-screen display of your library and album art, etc., if that's something that's important to you. Try posting in the receiver forum. And search Audiogon.

As for speakers, the Take Classics would be a fine choice. My brother in law has that set and is very happy. For me, they're just too small and limited in output. But, the speakers are a BIG part of my TV room. It comes down to you level of interest in AV equipment and your lifestyle. If you want something unobtrusive but competent, you can't do much better than the Take Classics for the money. "Going piecemeal" requires a lot more effort on your part. And, not just in shopping. If you are going to go with larger speakers, you should take care in placing them and learning a bit about room acoustics. If you're more of the set it and forget it type, stick with the a Take Classic -type packaged system. I'm a big fan of Harman International's products, so I'll also recommend the Infinity Primus series:
http://store.audioholics.com/product.php/2058/0 . Check out the owner's thread if you want more info or endorsements.

A competitor to the Take Classics is Klipsch's Quintent II system:
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Synerg.../dp/B00009L1UX . I haven't heard it, but recall some favorable discussion.

Paradigm is another brand you should consider, though this particular system is pushing your budget:
http://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-Cinem...4&sr=1-1-fkmr1

Good luck, and if you can decide between the micro systems and larger bookshelf models, I can provide more suggestions.

Oh, and why do you need to buy a separate CD player? Won't your DVD player do that?

The TV does have the HDMI that I use currently to hook to the cable box. Based on your feedback and another that I got, it seems the 1019 is likely too much for my needs right now. Apparently the 919 would do the job and allow for another couple hundred towards the speakers. The iPod feature is nice but honestly if I have to give that up to get a better receiver/speaker system than I am willing to do that.

As for the options you present, I must admit that while I typically like to research excessively, I don't know much about speakers and I just want to get some very nice sound for music/movies which probably puts me into the package system group. I will take a look at your other suggestions.

Thanks very much

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs /forum/post/18125564

What is the speaker size you are looking for? Will you be hanging it on the wall? Place it on a stand? For me, I am just not a fan of those tiny, dinky, little speakers. Bookshelves would be the smallest I would go. I would suggest you looking into refurbished receiver to save you some money. A $500 receiver will definately limit your selection on speakers and subwoofer.

Thanks calnbs, I am realizing the 1019 is likely too much of a receiver for my needs. That puts close to 70% my budget towards speakers. As I have admitted I am brand new to speakers (hence the high school stereo for 20 yrs), I would really appreciate some bookshelf recommendations so I can take a look and see if that would work with my living room.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,379 Posts
These aren't the best but definately a bang for the buck brand. I honestly wish your total budget was $1,500. It would definately open you up to more options.

Speaker is such a personal tastes but I'll try to point some out in your price range for you to look at. I don't know if you'll like them or not, it comes down to how picky or critcial listener you are.

Newegg: 2 pairs of Polk Monitor 40+Polk CS2 $428.

Amazon: 2 pairs of Bic America Venturi DV62si+BIC America DV-62CLRS center.

Go to the subwoofer forum and look for a bang for the buck subwoofer. Maybe a Premier Acoustic, Bic, or Elemental Design sub.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the information. Gives me a good idea of what it looks like. I don't think I can go up to $1,500 but out of curiosity what does that mean to me? Is it that much better? Speakers aren't something you buy every 5 years, at least as I understand it, so if it really makes sense to invest more now I might consider it.

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.