Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally get it :D

I'd seen projectors at stores, went to the SF Show and saw SXRD and Runco's masterpieces but not until I brought a lowly Epson Powerlite 30c home last weekend did it hit me.

I ran composite video to an 800x600 LCD on slightly peach walls from 11' producing almost a 10' diagonaly picture. I sat 12' away from this $900 image and was blown away. My kids were blown away. My dogs were blown away. My wife...well, most women are from a different planet anyway, "why does it need to be so big?" Please :rolleyes:

Yeah, very slight screendoor, yeah the "black bars" weren't really black, yeah the color may not have been "perfect". So what :confused:

Then it hit me again, I'm a Deadhead, I'd go to the ends of the earth for the perfect bootleg, I upgrade and trade and collect and immerse myself. That's what you guys MUST be doing 'cause if I never saw a better image I'd still be giddy like a kid everytime I turned on that projector.

The problem with this forum is it makes the decision process harder with every post read and every thread followed (links and all).

To anyone on a very tight budget, like me

GO BUY A PROJECTOR. I say again GO BUY A PROJECTOR.

$800-$1000 will get you into the game and you WILL be blown away!

$2000 you get 1024x768, HD, even DVI with Optoma

by $3000 you're spending 3x the amount, is the pic 3x better? I don't know, are you an Enthusiast or Lunatic?

$5000+? Projectorheads the lot of you.

thanks, all you tweekers (by the speakers:D ) it's good to be home

David

·
Registered
728 Posts
Well, the Lunatic Fringe has multiple projectors:

One in the Kitchen, a lifesize Julia Child does wonders for honing your cooking skills, while suppressing your eating skills.

One in the bedroom, low resolution. (Jay Leno's chin blown up and in HD leads to nightmares.)

One in the Hunting room. Be sure that you wear active noise suppression 5.1 headphones for anything larger than a .22.

One by the Hot Tub. Shield it properly while watching naughty bits. Neighbors can complain...

One in the Nursery- Low resolution, what goes for Leno goes double for Barney...

One for the Bathroom. Viewable from any angle; use front surface mirrors. Should be instant-on for bathroom breaks during halftime.

One for the Garage. Why drive out when you can Drive-In.

One for the Planetarium. Watch out for "Bad Influences" when your teenage daughter plans a Laserium night.

Two for the Library. One to project a wall of books, (Who has time to read these days.), and one to project a fire in the fireplace. Very ecological!

And finally, a projector on the front porch, Use on Holloween with various Ghosties and Ghoulies and Long-Leggedy Beasties to entertain the children. It also scares the hell out of Jehova's Witnesses knocking on the front door.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
The decision is easy. If you have a grand an X1 is the best choice (unless you're affected by rainbows). A $999.00 X1 is all I need. I was blown away by it. Far more than I expected to be. Great onboard Faroudja deinterlacer. You should take that $900 Epson back and get a $999 X1 then you'll really be blown away by what you can get for under a grand.

I run mine at 9 feet diagonal on a 16:9 screen (started off with a textured white wall) and in a lot of cases it gives me better picture quality with DVDs than my Toshiba HDTV. I sit and watch in awe. I never dreamed I could own something of this quality for under $1,000.

Seriously though, there's not much price difference between the X1 and the Epson. You should think about trading it for an X1. The X1 has a good contrast ratio and not to mention a Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer (My favorite part). The bulbs are cheaper than most and last upto 4,000 hours, and the X1 comes with 5 years warranty.

As long as you don't see rainbows (I don't) and screendoor is only visible up close. X1 = Best Bang for the buck in Digital Home Theater.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The best of points is made here.

While many of us are here to find the right solution (in an environment where we will be spending a good chunk of change for a projector we've never seen before it shows up), many of us let the comments here feed our paranoia about how the experience of finally getting our projector and watching it may turn to nitpicking and second-guessing ourselves.

There will never be a kid that visits your house and says "Look at those rainbows. How can you watch that thing" or "What are those faint lines behind the picture. That FPN really must annoy you"! The kids will only say "COOOOOOOOOL.... You are sooooo lucky. I've never seen anything like that before". Then they will proceed to ask to watch everything and say "Can I come over again tomorrow"?

At some point during our lives, because of working for every dollar we get, we lose part of the enthusiasm necessary to enjoy the fruits of our efforts. The child-like joy is replaced by more artificial needs like building the perfect theater, having the perfect car, perfect house, or perfect golf-swing. True, goals are motivating and a driving force. Just don't let them consume you.

Your boss probably doesn't expect perfection from you every minute of every day so don't expect it from the things you buy with the money you make doing your job. Learn to enjoy that PJ for what it is.

Fun. Something enjoyable that your ancestors never had. Life is good. Projectors make it even better. Be a kid again!

·
Registered
18 Posts
As for someone who is in the "deciding" process, I can't tell you how reassuring it is to read a post like this. Read my first two posts and you'll understand.....

So lets go over those aspect ratios again. I think there was 1.33, 1.78, 1.85, 2.00, 2.35, 2.4, 2.5, etc.. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't actually BUY the Epson, I can borrow it most anytime from work as the 800x600 is just not good enough for static, computer based presentations. The "boss" only wanted to spend $900 delivered. This was when the X1 was still $1299. Can you remember way back then?

I would definitely go for the X1 from what I keep reading. I'll be converting a 18' x 10' garage conversion to a theater nex spring (I hope) and would really like a sub $2000 1024 unit.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreggPenn
The best of points is made here.

Your boss probably doesn't expect perfection from you every minute of every day
Like hell he doesn't...

And make it not only my boss, but my wife as well...:D

piesek

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The "pursuit" of perfection seems to be the raison d'etre of these forums and I wouldn't have it any other way.

But at some point you both said "close enough" a got married anyway :D

There'll always be bigger, faster, sharper, louder out there. I just wanted to throw in my .02 for not feelin' like you had to be out there pushing it every second.

Ignorance can be bliss :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.