AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah, just noticed the review myself, 10 minutes ago.

WOW.. what a review!!!

Go read it RIGHT NOW, you owe it to yourself. ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good review indeed.

They noticed only 1 (color temperature) of the 3 bugs/issues that

have been mentioned here (the other 2 are:

s-video better than component (which I'd love to have

Bob from infocus acknowledge/explain) and how to get 4:3

with black bars and no stretching on a 16:9 screen (native))

[plus imo that screen door *is* quite noticeable even at normal viewing distance... and there is some more fan noise than I'd like... nevertheless, I'm very happy with my X1 (for the price) (and I'll be even happier when the issues will be addressed (I tried sending a support request to infocus and I have yet to get an answer or even an acknowledgment of my submission... Maybe they are swamped...]

·
Registered
785 Posts
My X1 gets here on Thursday. Glad I ordered before the inevitable rush!! I was especially glad to hear the X1 does a nice job with HDTV. Yahoooo!:)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey Flooper!

I had hoped you would have received your X1 by now. Well, Thursday will be here soon. I spoke with John at the company we ordered from and he said he has sold about 8 since I bought mine. He is ecstatic. I told him about this AVS forum and he asked how they could get involved. I told him to check it out and contact them to discuss. Maybe he will, and maybe they can work out a power buy! Only for not less than we paid.

I am very glad to hear about the quality of a HD picture. You told me it should be fine, but based on the report, it may turn out better than I expect. TimeWarner will be here Monday to run a cable and bring me the HD box. I am getting excited about see HD!

Let us all know what you think of the X1 Thursday!

patrick

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was a bit dismayed by the optimal screen size. Have the x1 owners on this thread experienced the same (i.e. best picture is at 80" diagonal??)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Really noticed something cool yesterday. If you look in the lense just as the unit powers up you have about 5 seconds to look at the dlp array. Some of the mirrors are flipped on and are reflecting light the others that are at an angle are virtually black and I mean black it's amazing how little reflection there is off those mirrors when the are perfectly flat. Becareful because you don't have much time before they all snap in line and shoot the blue screen up.

Just kind a neat to look at, kind of looks like stars in the sky.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
hmm, just read the review. it was practically useless. except for mentioning the ideal screen size, what did they talk about performance wise? There was zilch talk about how well the X1 does in shadow detail and all that other stuff.

Is it just me or are projector central's reviews getting less useful as time goes by. They used to talk about performance back in the day but now it is nothing. Just mention the specs and say the image looks good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by _dl_
...plus imo that screen door *is* quite noticeable even at normal viewing distance... and there is some more fan noise than I'd like...
You may want to get the store you got your X1 from to check it out. I've been sitting with the X1 about 18" from my ear and don't find the fan distracting at all. I can only hear it when there is no or very low audio, other than that I can't hear it unless I concentrate on it. As for screen door I'm projecting an image 80" wide and can't see the screen door from 10' away (high sharpness setting and optimally focused. I've set the unit up to project a 92" wide screen and find it bright enough with the appropriate settings of contrast and brightness.

OK, you guessed it I'm blind and deaf!!!! No, not really, But seriously you may have a unit that doesn't quite meet specs.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The bigger you are..the more powerful your voice...the more careful you have to be.

For example, I used to be the average peon (not that I feel that I am not now). Soon as I slipped into manufacturing, the line stated to blur and shift. Now? .....I'm not allowed to have an opinion on this forum. It's podiums and prepared speeches for me, from now on. BAH! :mad: :p :mad:

Nuns. No sense of humor.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Good review indeed.

They noticed only 1 (color temperature) of the 3 bugs/issues that

have been mentioned here (the other 2 are:

s-video better than component (which I'd love to have

Bob from infocus acknowledge/explain) and how to get 4:3

with black bars and no stretching on a 16:9 screen (native))

[plus imo that screen door *is* quite noticeable even at normal viewing distance... and there is some more fan noise than I'd like... nevertheless, I'm very happy with my X1 (for the price) (and I'll be even happier when the issues will be addressed (I tried sending a support request to infocus and I have yet to get an answer or even an acknowledgment of my submission... Maybe they are swamped...]
The color temperature bug will be fixed in an upcoming firmware maintenance release. I have also asked that the NTSC "native" resizing mode be made a more useful 4:3 aspect ratio. I presume that this will be fixed at some point as well, since those with 16:9 screens do not have a good option for viewing 4:3 content. I am not aware of any issue with component inputs on this projector. Could someone explain what the problem seems to be?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audible
You may want to get the store you got your X1 from to check it out. I've been sitting with the X1 about 18" from my ear and don't find the fan distracting at all. I can only hear it when there is no or very low audio, other than that I can't hear it unless I concentrate on it. As for screen door I'm projecting an image 80" wide and can't see the screen door from 10' away (high sharpness setting and optimally focused. I've set the unit up to project a 92" wide screen and find it bright enough with the appropriate settings of contrast and brightness.

OK, you guessed it I'm blind and deaf!!!! No, not really, But seriously you may have a unit that doesn't quite meet specs.
I was wondering about that. But it got shipped directly from Infocus (and I ordered from the orange sponsor on top of this page; ie over the net, so there is no store I can go to to check [afaik, there are no stores that have it in stock anyway] ... Maybe I'll return it when/if there is a fix for the other minor issues...)

On the other hand, for the screendoor at least, projectorcentral and others also note that it is there.... But I'm sure you're not blind and deaf ;-)

I'll take pictures this week end that should show the s-video/component problem and the screendoor (with my 3.3Mpix dslr, I expect the screen door to show even when shot with "normal" (eye like) full screen perspective (from 10 '))

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Williams
The color temperature bug will be fixed in an upcoming firmware maintenance release. I have also asked that the NTSC "native" resizing mode be made a more useful 4:3 aspect ratio. I presume that this will be fixed at some point as well, since those with 16:9 screens do not have a good option for viewing 4:3 content. I am not aware of any issue with component inputs on this projector. Could someone explain what the problem seems to be?
Bob,

Thanks so much for your reply, this is very encouraging.

About the component problem:

Using the same sources (with 2 different dvd players which can do component output) and with expensive, clean cables, I think I see the following:

On white letters on blueish background for instance, the inner part of the letters are clean white with s-video; while with component cable, there is some variable brown tints. It looks like the colors aren't perfectly aligned or adjusted when using component. Also, overall, the image quality does not seem better, it seems at best equal or even slightly inferior in component vs s-video, which is the reverse as one would expect. I will try to capture that in pictures if that can help.

Another question: that firmware fix: will it be possible to do it somehow with a usb cable or something ? (ie without returning the unit, or if return is needed, would it be free/with the warranty)

Thanks a lot for all your time !

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonyc
Really noticed something cool yesterday. If you look in the lense just as the unit powers up you have about 5 seconds to look at the dlp array. Some of the mirrors are flipped on and are reflecting light the others that are at an angle are virtually black and I mean black it's amazing how little reflection there is off those mirrors when the are perfectly flat. Becareful because you don't have much time before they all snap in line and shoot the blue screen up.

Just kind a neat to look at, kind of looks like stars in the sky.
What a beautiful observation. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlindo
hmm, just read the review. it was practically useless. except for mentioning the ideal screen size, what did they talk about performance wise? There was zilch talk about how well the X1 does in shadow detail and all that other stuff.

Is it just me or are projector central's reviews getting less useful as time goes by. They used to talk about performance back in the day but now it is nothing. Just mention the specs and say the image looks good.
Huh???

The review speaks enthusiastically about many PQ issues.

Sounds like some anti-DLP sentiment coming through...

As for me, I find it hard to justify buying an SVGA projector in this day and age, except for someone who is just starting out.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by patrick21
Hey Flooper!

I had hoped you would have received your X1 by now. Well, Thursday will be here soon. I spoke with John at the company we ordered from and he said he has sold about 8 since I bought mine. He is ecstatic. I told him about this AVS forum and he asked how they could get involved. I told him to check it out and contact them to discuss.

patrick
Hey Patrick,

I also talked with Leslie at the same place. I've sent about 3 thousand PMs so far (I"m sure you have too) and she said she's been getting a ton of orders. I'm thinkin' maybe we should get a commission! Yeah, Thursday has been a long wait...I was just too cheap to pay for faster delivery, and went with the free ground shipping. Oh well, now I won't be as tempted to take the whole week off playing with my new toy. I'm very anxious to see how the X1 compares to my Sony W400Q and Infocus 425Z--I'll be sure and post a report as soon as I can. I returned the Dalite HCMW screen (too many waves), and based on several posts by the inimitable KBK, ordered a HiPower--glad I did now that I read that in theater mode the X1 loses about half its lumens. I'll let everyone know how the x1 and HiPower work together.

mike

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Bob,

Thanks so much for your reply, this is very encouraging.

About the component problem:

Using the same sources (with 2 different dvd players which can do component output) and with expensive, clean cables, I think I see the following:

On white letters on blueish background for instance, the inner part of the letters are clean white with s-video; while with component cable, there is some variable brown tints. It looks like the colors aren't perfectly aligned or adjusted when using component. Also, overall, the image quality does not seem better, it seems at best equal or even slightly inferior in component vs s-video, which is the reverse as one would expect. I will try to capture that in pictures if that can help.

Another question: that firmware fix: will it be possible to do it somehow with a usb cable or something ? (ie without returning the unit, or if return is needed, would it be free/with the warranty)

Thanks a lot for all your time !
The firmware will be available at our web site (under "service and support") once ready. You can download it and install it yourself at no cost. You will need a USB cable and a PC.

I will investigate the component issue you have described.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Too bad that the unit is 4:3.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.