Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From PC World:

"NEC is previewing a projector designed to provide large images even in the tightest of spaces. The WT600 uses no lenses to display your images; instead, it has a system of four aspherical mirrors that bounce the image back and forth until it's projected onto a screen or wall.

The unique mirror system enables the WT600 to display a large image even if the projector is as close as 8 to 10 inches away from the screen. The prototype model displays images 40 to 80 inches across on the diagonal. When the projector ships this fall, it should display images up to 100 inches on the diagonal, according to Dan Zubic, NEC product line manager for projectors.

The unit weighs about 10 to 12 pounds and offers all of the usual ports and inputs, including standard RCA, S-Video, and two-way USB. You can connect it via wired or wireless networks, and it has a resolution of 1024 by 768.

The product is similar to NEC's LT260 in terms of optics and image quality, Zubic says. Pricing is not set, but Zubic expects it will sell for less than $7000. NEC plans to formally introduce the WT600 at the InfoComm conference in June. "

Throwing a 100-inch image from 10 inches away, eh? I look forward to this innovation being adopted by many other manufacturers.

Mark

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Quote:
The unique mirror system enables the WT600 to display a large image even if the projector is as close as 8 to 10 inches away from the screen.
Wouldn't this block your field of view?? With the projector sitting 8-10 inches in front of screen.

Isn't it too late for April fool's jokes???

Mike

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It is for real.

Will be good to use for thin rptvs. With fp you can move about in the room without blocking the picture. It ramains to be seen how PQ is affected by this mirror system. A very interesting innovation I think.

I have read in a swedish av-magazine that clained info from a source in Japan that Mitsubishi is working towards a dispaly only cms thin with this technology.

·
Premium Member
25,539 Posts
It seems it will need some super screen technology (a no doubt very expensive Fresnel lens for A=RP) top avoid hotspotting. And I wonder how much light is eaten up by all the bounces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.