AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just got a new house that was last renovated in 1960. It has lots of cable on moldings, which I hate, and it's difficult (not impossible, but difficult) to run wire. So I'm thinking I'd like to figure out if everything can be done wirelessly. I'm also considering cutting the cable. Things that need to work:

1) TV - Multiple Tivos? Will they stream HD OTA to other units? Or maybe Slingbox HD?

2) Speakers - any in-wall wireless speakers? I could use the Sonos Play3's or similar, but might be nice to have in walls instead

3) Telephones - the house is spread out, so I'm not sure a regular multi-handset system will work, is there something that can handle more than 8 stations and/or repeaters?

4) Alarm system - are wireless sensors generally "just as good"?

Not sure if I'm missing anything. Think there's sufficient bandwidth in wireless protocols to make this all work?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
If you are technically-inclined and understand networking, or can hire someone to do this for you, assuming you don't have a noisy WIFI environment (neighbors are far apart), the best u can hope to attain is 2 simultaneous HD wireless video feeds with current 802.11n standard.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Changing batteries for wireless sensors is an annoyance.

1960? Might be time for some remodeling, and new cables.

Drywall repair is cheap, spot painting the repair is more difficult. Generally, if the whole room will be painted, there is no reason not to run some new cables.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I understand. Drilling through wood framing blindly is unnerving. That's why many people avoid it by exposing both sides of the framing member before drilling - cut into drywall above the sole plate (from the outlet hole upstairs) and below (new hole in wall near ceiling downstairs).

Crawlspace below and/or attic above help tremendously. Sub-ing out the cable installation work to an experienced installer is certainly the easiest way. Make sure the guy is insured, as he may be one to drill blindly, to save time.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I've had an alarm with wireless sensors for years without any significant problems related to the wireless aspect. The sensors use lithium batteries which are good for several years (I think mine have gone 4 or 5 before needing replacement).

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djMaxM /forum/post/20895847

So I'm thinking I'd like to figure out if everything can be done wirelessly.

Nightmare in the making IMHO. Not only will everything have to play nicely together, but with anything your neighbors have. And if you don't have them yet, you will be getting smart utility meters that can cause their own problems. If you want a reliable system, hard wire it.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/20896278

...the best u can hope to attain is 2 simultaneous HD wireless video feeds with current 802.11n standard.

And those are highly compressed. There are no consumer products that do HDMI wirelessly. They all compress it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hire someone.

Depending on what you need the premium that you pay for wireless devices may be enough to cover getting the house wired. Simple alarm sensors that you mention would run you $25+ vs. $2 hardwire, plus the receiver. How many sensors do you need? Add in wireless speakers (don't even know if there are any good ones?), etc. costs will add up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.