AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have owned the 720p BenQ PE7700 for 5 year and just sold it (bulb died). So the PE7700 have a 5x color wheel and I never saw rainbows (neither did my wife).... so I just tried out the BenQ W1000 and it was amazing!...but I saw a ton of rainbows and my wife got a headache in 5 minutes... so I had to return it.

So It seems to me that the entry level DLP's with their 4X color wheels are out of the question. So I can either get a entry level 1080P LCD, like the Epson pro 1080, the Sanyo Plv-Z700, the Viewsonic 8100Pro (once they are back in stock, or if they are ever back in stock at TD), or some other sub $1500 LCD 1080p projector...

OR...

I can try and find a DarkChip3 DLP 720P model from a few years ago for probably about $1200 or less if I can find it.... BenQ PE7820, Optoma H79, etc etc....

I will probably set about 10 feet from the screen...maybe 11 feet...and screen size I guess will be based on what I get.... I had that BenQ W1000 pumped up to 135" on my tan well and it looked pretty awesome if the HD feed was good enough.... but at 720p, I'd probably keep it around 100" or so...

What do you all think? Anyone else have the same dilemma? Is there any place to find like refurbished DarkChip 3 projectors?

I think the cheapest 1080P dlp with a fast enough color wheel would be around $1800 and the entry level 1080P LCDs are very good, but I think all of them are a bit lacking on contrast vs. a DarkChip 3 model... but I'm guessing a bit as I have owned neither!...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would think the Epson 8100 or the Viewsonic Pro8100 at Tigerdirect would be where you should be looking. If you are looking to pony up another 500 or so look at ABCwarehouse for the 8500UB which is much better than anything you have mentioned. JMO

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindbartimaeus /forum/post/18150154

I would think the Epson 8100 or the Viewsonic Pro8100 at Tigerdirect would be where you should be looking. If you are looking to pony up another 500 or so look at ABCwarehouse for the 8500UB which is much better than anything you have mentioned. JMO

Well the Viewsonic is on my short list for sure, but TigerDirect (as of today) now says 'Product unavailable', and I have heard rumors that no more will be supplied to them... time will tell, but the Viewsonic was actually my frontrunner with the Bing discount, etc.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglk /forum/post/18151301

hey just letting you know that i was able to order the 8100pro through Tiger as of about 2pm yesterday so either u just missed it or its not showing up right for you.

I think you got the last one for now. I chatted with the CSR at Tiger and she says they have another shipment due in next week. I hope the Bing cashback is still in effect =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.