Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry the Dennon should be the 910

So having read many post I think that springing for the DCDi is worth the extra money...

There seem to be three main contenders in the entry level and each has some short comings but I need your help deciding witch or maybe all are good choices?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The Philips Q50 is a 2-3 year old model with the older Faroudja chip, its probably discontinued - the only ones you can buy are older probably refurbished models. The Denon DVD-910 and Mitsubishi DD-8040 are newer models with the newer version of the Faroudja chip that supports minimal scaling.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a Philips 963SA and it has severe lockup problems too. It seems that the newer models are no more reliable than the oler ones.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
The Philips Q50 is a 2-3 year old model with the older Faroudja chip, its probably discontinued - the only ones you can buy are older probably refurbished models. The Denon DVD-910 and Mitsubishi DD-8040 are newer models with the newer version of the Faroudja chip that supports minimal scaling.
This model is still available as new. My unit (new, not refurb) has an Oct 03 manufacturing date.

NO lockup problems thus far.

As for reliability and Philips, I've had 4 different players during a 4 year period and have never had a problem with most anything I try to play. Rentals, VCD, SVCD, Mp3, DVDRs. Two of them were getting old, so I donated them to a charity. Still working great though. I've only had one issue with an older player and Philips fedexed a firmware disc to me even though the warranty was up.

Scott

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
I purchased a Philips DVDQ50AT just last week. It has a manufacture date of Feb 03. Purchased direct from Philps online store.

I have played it almost continually all day long probably 35 DVD's and 25 or 30 CD, CDR, MP3. No freezes, just great picture (Wow!) and the bonus was really great sond. Must use failey good audio DAC's.

It is connected to a Hitachi 57XWX20B RPTV and a Kenwood/Phase Linear 700B combo to B&W DM603 S2 speakers and twin BIC 10" SW.

The sond and video performance is great. Over the Holiday's I purchased and took back:

Sony NC685. Panasonic F85, and a Pioneer 563SA.

Video on the Sony and Panasonic were not up to par with this Philips. The Pioneer was really bad on video. Very soft, no detail picture.

The Sony had bogus "Cinema" modes. Precanned color, contrast, and brightness settings that were hard to turn off.

The Philps has a 30 day return for cash if you don't lie it and a 1 year comprehensive warranty. For 180 to $200 on line you can't beat it, especially with the DCDI Farouda chip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I looked all over the Internet and could only find 6ave.com selling for a bit shy of $200 on a new Philips DVDQ50AT. Please let me know if this player is still available thru Philips directly as Phase700B suggested just last week. Calls to Philips resulted in dead end. Ebay usually has one albeit refurbished for sale for

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I seen both Denon and Q50 at it, to me hands down for price, style and qualtiy of image the Q50 wins. The Denon is a over priced unit and full of hype. This is to my eyes.

Q50 is like $150.00 less and blows it away.

At least the units I tested ... It did.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The 1600 is much better than the 910. If you can still find one go for it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
What are the MSRP for these players?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Are there any multi-disc players with DCDi for a reasonable price that anyone would recommend? I really like the feature-set of the Panasonic F85, but it doesn't have DCDi. I particularly like the way it handles disc memory/resume. I tried the Denon DVM-2815 but it had black-level and picture quality issues that I couldn't resolve.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Even though I had gone ahead in purchasing the Panasonic F65 5-disc changer/player, I just want to point out that QVC currently has the lowest price on a NEW Philips DVDQ50AT player with Faroudja chip for approx. $180+shipping.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Highvista,

You said in your reply that "I particularly like the way it handles disc memory/resume." What did you mean by that. I have had the f85 for about 4 months now and I can not seem to get the resume to work correctly. It works if I stop a disk and them restart it without turning off the machine or moving to another disc, other than that. My machine just starts from the beginning of the disc. Am I missing some setting, I have looked in the manual but have seen nothing to lead me in the right direction. I know the Sony's have memory/resume for all 5 disc. I might have to go into that direction, if I can't figure it out. Anyone?

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
ebay has better prices for all these cheap Faroudja players.

I tried Denon 900, Sharp and Philips Q50 with all type of DVDs (interlace, progressive, anim, video, dv) and I feel it is not worth to look for Faroudja and miss many features (media Compatibility, VCD/mp3 etc, custom features, quality, pric etc).

Denon 900 sucks. Period.

Sharp S2? sucks. Period.

Philips Q50 way better to above 2.

Panny Cp67, rp62: no point in buying that old model as they do not read DVD-r or scratched disks.

I am going to try $35.00 prog. player this week.

·
Registered
79 Posts

179.00 at QVC

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CRXtasy
I looked all over the Internet and could only find 6ave.com selling for a bit shy of $200 on a new Philips DVDQ50AT. Please let me know if this player is still available thru Philips directly as Phase700B suggested just last week. Calls to Philips resulted in dead end. Ebay usually has one albeit refurbished for sale for

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Since someone mentioned upscaling, I wonder how the Zenith DVB318 is going to match up against all the DVD players mentioned in this thread?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.