AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a cheap open-box Pioneer VSX-D711 receiver and a Yamaha NS-P220 5.1 speaker set, however I just noticed on the side of the box of the Yamahas that all the speakers are rated at 6 ohms. The manual for my Pioneer receiver states I should "use speakers with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms to 16 ohms". Even though I will be using the system mostly at low volume, could any problems develop over long-term?

Also I notice the manual of the D711 is shared with the D811S model which seems to be highly recommended by some people here, but in general isn't a receiver that requires min. 8 ohm speakers considered a crappy receiver? Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
You should be fine. I have always run 6 Ohm speakers without a hiccup from all of the receivers I've ever owned...several of them with the same impedance rating as your 711.

·
Registered
813 Posts
PocketProtector,

As impedance goes from 8 to 4 Ohms, current demand on the receiver doubles. A drop from 8 to 6 Ohms calls for a 50% increase in current. This can be too much for some receivers. If it is, then the receiver should go into self-protection mode, i.e., it should shut down automatically.

There is no way to tell if this will be a problem until it happens. It would be helpful to know your speaker's sensitivity, minimum impedance and your maximum SPL for listening. When you set your equipment up, leave room for ventilation. Cooling is important for heavier loads.

In your situation I would give it a try, but caution would be wise since you are not following Pioneer's speaker recommendation.

Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.