AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., typical newbie post. 99% of this stuff is over my head. I'm in the process of putting together my home theater. So far,

Mitsubishi 55" WS55859 widescreen TV

Panasonic RP82 DVD player - on the way

Now, I would like to upgrade my receiver. It's a JVC RX-801V that's about 13 years old.

My requirements (I have been reading the board):

- Home Theater is primary use

- Component inputs/outputs

- Dolby Pro II, Dolby Digital, DTS,

- Probably only need a 5 speaker setup with this unit (speakers will be next on my list)

- THX - Not sure if I need this or not?

It doesn't need to be a cadillac. In a few years, I'll worry about getting into the high end of things.

I would like any feedback/opinions regarding the following, which seem to meet most of my feature criteria (except for THX only on the Kenwood):

JVC RX-7020VBK

Kenwood VR-509

Panasonic SA-HE100

Pioneer VSX-D711

I know people probably get tired of these types of posts from new people, but I would really like the opinion of some people who are knowledgeable. I don't want to make a mistake with my next purchase.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

I would suggest the following brands as they are pretty popular among HT enthusiasts as a kind of "better than mass market, but not super-expensive" companies (check out their respective entry-level HT digital receivers at their own websites for a good run-down of the specs...).

Denon

Marantz

Onkyo

Harmon Kardon

Outlaw Audio (internet only)

Yamaha

Of course it'll depend on your budget, but I believe the entry-level digital HT receivers from these companies all come in at sub-$500. In some cases, like the Marantz, I think the next step up from entry level is still sub-$500.

Also, especially if you think you might upgrade sometime soon and don't need to spend more than you need to, look at these companies' models from last year (e.g., the Denon's entry level HT receiver is the 1803, but last year's model, the 1802, is still pretty highly regarded as a budget receiver and you may be able to find a good deal on it because it is last year's model...)

William

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heh, sorry to hijack this thread in any way, but I thought it redundant to start another one and waste bandwidth.

I have a Pioneer VSX-D209 currently, and during the couple of years I've owned it the flaws have made themselves known; a relay blew, it doesn't manage its rated power without a lot of harmonic distortion and the bass is nonexistent - to see any improvement I usually have to crank the levels on the receiver and use DSP at its maximum, which is just exacerbating the distortion problem.

I'm looking at receivers in the sub-$200 range with reasonably good bass reproduction and maybe even a little bias in that direction so I don't have to resort to a ton of equalization, and most importantly, if it says 100 watts per channel I'd like it to perform at that standard.

With that mess said, can anyone suggest a good model or three for me to check out? I don't want to recreate buying a receiver and finding out it's not what I'd hoped for.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by deadbrain
I'm looking at receivers in the sub-$200 range with reasonably good bass reproduction and maybe even a little bias in that direction so I don't have to resort to a ton of equalization, and most importantly, if it says 100 watts per channel I'd like it to perform at that standard.
Stop at your local Radioshack and see if they have a STAV-3990 on clearance. I paid $200 for one in June, and I just saw someone say they got an open-box one for $129.

I'm under the impression that all receivers at a reasonable quality level have essentially flat response, so I doubt you'd get better or worse bass from this as compared to other receivers. It's spec'd at 100W. x 5, but how honest that is, I couldn't say. It does not have Dolby ProLogic II, and it's lowest settable sub crossover setting is 100Hz (both of which are bad things, IMO).

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The two lowest price units that get good marks currently are the Panasonic HE100 you mentioned, and the Pioneer 811s.

They are both 6 channel rather than 5 channel amps with component switching so they are a little more future proof than some you've listed.

Plus the Pioneer has preamp outputs so you can upgrade with a separate amp later and use it as a preamp. It's available for very cheap on the web, do a nextag or pricegrabber search...

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
You've got a great widescreen TV and a great DVD player. $200 might be scraping the bottom a little too much. I'd bump the budget up to $300 if you could. Like the other poster mentioned:

- Panasonic receiver: $299 @ Circuity City, but less when buying on-line

- Pioneer 811: Runs $399 in the retail channel, but less on-line.

Also, don't forget to look through the used/for sale market:

- Denon AVR-1802: Can pick these up for under $300 - shipped.

In my experience, the Denon is a very capable receiver. The AVR-1803 has come out to replace the 1802. Also, the 1803 can be found as a AVR-883 receiver for $327 + a small shipping fee @: NXGen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.