Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which would be more fitting for me?

how accurate are dennon receiver specs compared to hk? my understanding is that hk actually exceeds the listed wattage specs by a few watts-while dennon's listed watts are a bit iffy, not really outputting what is listed.

the hk lists at 55 watts per channel

and the dennon lists 80 watts per channel.

how accurate would you consider the rating for the dennon? as an entry level denon i dont know if the ratings should be taken seriously, same goes with hk, but i think id find hk closer to the real output that is listed for the receiver.

dts es and dd ex does not matter to me, im perfectly fine with a 5.1 set up at the moment, so what i want to know is between the two models, which receiver provides the most reliable performance and quality?

the 225 and 1803 are both listed at 500 dollars, but the denon offers 6.1 decoding as opposed to hk's 5.1 decoding and 25 watts more power,

since im new to the audio world, id like to know how the pricing of these companies work..

am i just paying extra money for nothing with the hk? or is it the other way around in which im sacrificing performance, and false power specs, with the dennon?

which receiver would be the best for me? if the denon will at least output a minimum of 55 watts @ 8ohms through 6 channels continuously with head room to spare, then ill get the denon, its hard to believe that the denon can out 80 watts through 6 channels sontinuously for a 500 dollar entry level receiver.

ill be using it a lot for music, so i need a clean sound, itll will be used for movies too, but mainly for music.

is the denon 1803 receiver high current like the harmon kardons also?

---------

another entry level model im looking into is the pioneer 912k, which seems to offer an abundance of feature for 300 dollars? listed at 110 watts through 6 channels? now i dont know if this reciever is just spewing out marketing mumbo jumbo, because i cant possibly conceive why anyone would pick an hk or denon if theres a reciever like 912k in the sub 500 dollar price range.

i assume, the quality of sound and performance was greatly sacrificed to fit all that into a 300 dollar reciever? i keep reading about fake specs by companies low end receivers, so i would assume that the hk would produce better power output over the pioneer? they may say its 110 watts but most likely itd be 40 watts x 6? am i correct in my assumptions?

ive been force feeding my brain with all this audio research to prevent me from falling victim to marketing hype or getting ripped off

forgive me if my questions are sound silly, but im an audio noob, i hope you guys can bare with me, as i expand my knowledge about audio

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
This may help...think of your receiver as an all in one package, that is, processing and power. Good clean power is essential to Music and HT enjoyment and this is an area where many receivers can fall short (depending on speaker demands). So with lower level receivers you may want to have pre-outs for as many channels as possible so that you have the option of increasing power with an amp purchase while using your receiver as a processor. This may or may not be important to you now but I can assure you it will likely raise its ugly head as you progress in this pursuit.

The 1803 while a fine all-in-one package lacks pre-outs. Again, this may not be a personal concern for you. Denon also has a very strict warranty policy so you would have to mindful and buy from an authorized source if important.

The H/K 225 is conservatively rated and is also rated for all channels driven. Unless you have very demanding speakers or a very large area to fill with sound it will more than suffice. But it also appears to lack pre-outs. The 225 will also handle 4 Ohm speakers. (In the interest of disclosure I own and use a lot of H/K equipment, thus far problem free.)

The previous Pioneer series was well thought of, especially the 811S. It delivered decent honest power but was not recommended for 4 Ohm speakers. As it featured pre-outs in this price class, many owners took to using it as a budget pre/pro for their systems. The same is likely true of the new series.

What speaker set are you planning on running?

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Check closely the AVR 225, its audio/sonic performance is excellant and due to its higher amplifier capability it will drive virtually any loudspeaker cleanly. But its features are quite significant for its price point such as 6 Digital inputs including front panel inputs. If U only need 5.1 then the 225 would be a good choice... :cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i plan on combining the reciever with an all omni polar speaker set up

omni 60 book shelfs for fronts

30-125 watt rms

91 decible room efficiency

4 ohm minimum, 8 ohm nominal

omni cc for the center channel

30-150 watts rms

90 decible room efficiency

omni 50 book shelfs for the surrounds

30-150 watts rms

91 decible room efficiency

these are the speakers i intend to use

regarding pre outs, if i buy the 225, i can get it for 350 online, at that price, i dont mind the "no preouts" i dont intend on using an amplifier with the receiver anytime soon for these speakers. as long as i can drive these speakers without fear of clipping/harming and underpowering, im a happy camper :)

if i can get clearer audio and stronger sound form the hk over the denon, want the hk :) i dont care about 6.1, by the time i upgrade to 6.1 id rather buy a higher end then the entry denon. with preouts ;)

sinitri, would you say that the 225 will be more then capable of dishing out 55 watts per channel as its listed? it should do this easily, if the power ratings of hk receivers are conservative. but my fear is that, since its entry level, it may not be as accurate as the higher end models?

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Well then, if future power flexibility is not in question, I suggest you try to audition them with similar speaker sets. Both deliver a 'warm' sound but my preference is for H/K. Your mileage may vary. Feature set and remote are important considerations as well.

I'll let Sinitro answer for himself but I can assure you the 225 is more than up to the task. The amp staging on H/Ks is well regarded.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Actual output power of AVR 225 is very conservative and as previously mentioned should drive your target speakers fine. If U do want to have Pre-Outs the AVR 325 is available as a refurb for around $400 and it has Pre-Outs and 6.1/7.1. Also more remote control features as well... :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.