AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on mounting an LCD flat panel above a fireplace. The fireplace has an oversized firebox (31" high) so I expect the bottom of the LCD will only be 12" to 18" above the firebox. I have looked on Sony, Samsung, and Pioneer's web sites and I do not find any environment specifications (max tempature). The fireplace vendor has measured that a spot 12" from the top of the firebox and 7" out from the wall is consistently 97 degress farenheit. I have two questions:

1) How high do people typically hang their projectors above the fireplace.

2) Does anybody know where I can get the environmental specifications for flat panels?

Thx

Bryan

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarcia /forum/post/14184660

1) How high do people typically hang their projectors above the fireplace.

Typically people avoid this, not just for the heat issues, but also because it places the display too high on the wall resulting in an uncomfortable viewing experience.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I have mine over the fireplace. a mantel that catches most of the heat is definately a plus. As far as viewing height, be sure to use a mounting bracket that allows you to tilt the display down toward the viewing location.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The other destroyer of electronics is very present when hanging a TV over the fireplace. Soot/Dust/smoke/etc. I almost had a plasma slide out of my hands when i tried to take it off the mount over a fireplace once. Owner of the home damn near had a heart attack. When i had the set opened up (maintenance, blew a fuse on the power supply), it was just oily and black inside on the sheet metal. The guy had also noticed the picture get a little dimmer too, windex'd the screen, YUK. Now, he had a little ventilation issue, but i've seen buildup on ALL sets over a fireplace (woodburning that is, gas is pretty clean, imagine that.
)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts