AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Have been lurking for a while and following the great threads on home bar construction and have started my own. I am planning to use aluminium checker plate on my bar top with envirotex over the top. Can this be done? Will it set over aluminium?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have wondered the same thing myself for a while.

While I like my zinc counter top, the OCD in me hates the scratches and water marks I keep having to polish out. I keep thinking a layer of Envirotex is just what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
What ever substrait you are covering must be free of oils and dirt. It should also be glued down well (no flexing). ETex sticks to just about any clean surface. I would test a small sample before committing the entire bar top to be safe.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I used Duct tape with good results. Sounds weird.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I picked up a couple of kits this evening and plan on coating the bar top and back bar in a couple of weeks after carpet gets installed. I couldn't pass up the 50% off coupons for super tuesday at ac moore. I'm just reading the instructions now and as Randy mentions, yes, it can go over metal. In fact, it says it can even go over bread dough!

A seal coat is recommended (over open grained woods, etc) prior to a full pour to seal off the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatime /forum/post/17024198

I picked up a couple of kits this evening and plan on coating the bar top and back bar in a couple of weeks after carpet gets installed. I couldn't pass up the 50% off coupons for super tuesday at ac moore. I'm just reading the instructions now and as Randy mentions, yes, it can go over metal. In fact, it says it can even go over bread dough!

A seal coat is recommended (over open grained woods, etc) prior to a full pour to seal off the nooks and crannies.

I highly recommend the seal coat, I have big problems with my bar rail by not doing it (see my thread for the pictures). I still haven't got around to sanding it all down and starting over because there is so much white dust that comes from the clear it's not even funny. I was sick, still sick to even look at it but I plan on getting to it soon. Just hoping to share my mistake so others don't have to go through what I am going through.

Dennis

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'll have to check out your pix tonight since I can't get to photobucket at work :-(

Good point on the dust...I saw on a google site, or maybe it was Etex where they recommend doing the final flood pour in an area with bare concrete flooring to minimize dust being kicked up by carpet, furniture, and AT wall fibers. I think I'll try to tackle the pour BEFORE the carpeting is installed even though the bar area is ceramic tile. Just hooked up the PJ last weekend for the first time and and it's amazing to see all the dust particles in the air right in front of the lens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.