AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this isn't the right place to be posting this, but it seems appropriate enough:

I wrote to apple's QT trailer comments address ([email protected]) regarding my disgust with their taking advantage of Star Wars fans by forcing them to pay $29.99 to get access to the highest quality Star Wars Ep 2 trailer download (by purchasing Quicktime 5 pro). To my surprise, they wrote back to me. They, of course, are saying that they need the extra money to pay for the bandwidth required to serve the high quality trailer. I contend that if apple hadn't negotiated the exclusive rights to the Ep2 trailer that they wouldn't need to have nearly as much bandwidth as is required now. The number of hits they're getting on the site will probably add up to more than enough income in advertising dollars to justify their bandwidth.

Another statement I find ridiculous from the email is the assertion that people should "support the cause". This isn't some sort of religious or political cause, it's just offering ADVERTISEMENTS for download on a web site for cryin' out loud!

Let's send a message to apple that we don't want to pay to "support the cause". Though I am willing to pay for good content, I am not willing to pay to be advertised to, especially when they are charging more than the eventual DVD will cost just to see the highest quality trailer. They claim not to have received too much criticism on this new model, so let them know what you think either way by writing to [email protected] .

In the interest of fairness, here is their side:

Quote:
Joel,

Thank you for taking the time to email us about your QuickTime Pro complaint. Here is some background we hope will help clarify things.

Three years ago when we posted our first trailers, it was a technology example. Never in our wildest dreams did we think we would be where we are now as the #1 destination to view trailers- above AOL and others. You will notice that the EP2 teaser is only one of a few trailers that are requesting that you have QuickTime Pro. Even then it's not to view the trailer, only

to view the largest file and the one that consumes the most bandwidth. We are not preventing access. We offer the best quality and most downloadable trailers anywhere. QuickTime Pro provides the capability to save most trailers (except those disabled at the request of the studio). Most of the email we get is asking "how do I save trailers?" One of the goals of

encouraging the purchase of QT Pro is to make it easier to save files.

If you come to our site on a regular basis, you know this site is in a constant state of evolution. We experiment with a variety of options for our site visitors, attempting to ask them to help "support the cause" of our hosting trailers by purchasing QuickTime Pro is one of them. Judging from your feedback it sounds like you're in the "no" column. To be honest, we

haven't had any feedback about this and it's been a week. Your email is the one of a few. If visitors don't want to buy Pro, traffic drops, or many choose to email us (like you), we will notice it and consider our options. No matter what it is, if it's a bad idea, we will look at it. The next few days/ weeks will tell for our current implementation.

We're disappointed you feel this way and wouldn't want to stop you from visiting us. We need every eyeball we can get! Several of us were here all weekend until 1am or so just to post this latest crop of trailers- for *you*.

Thank you again for your feedback. We need all of it, good and bad to keep "tuning" the site and improving it. Reply back if this doesn't satisfy your comments.

·
Banned
992 Posts
Go to the theater.

Pay for a ticket to "Monsters Inc".

See the new trailer in much higher resolution.

Call apple and tell them "I helped the cause, and spent $7 with Disney instead of $30 with you."

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yup, as an industrious web surfer I must say that I now have the full sized trailer downloaded and saved from apples site and I now play it before my movies. Looks incredible and I didn't spend $30 at apples site. That is just insane to view a trailer and then exploiting a particular trailer's popularity to make a buck.

I would support apple more if they would stop brain washing their last actual supporters. That whole ordeal with their mp3 player was the last straw for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I didn't have to pay the $30 dollar upgrade. I have a G4 cube, it came with quicktime 4 so I download the latest quicktime over a month ago and the trailer played fine. The trailer isn't that amazing.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Certainly there are ways around it, I have the full sized trailer downloaded too, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't let them know what we think about their practices.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the dvd link trailer is WAY different and BETTER then the one at Monster's Inc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.