AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so for those of you who have done the fan mod, which direction does the cooling fan blow?

I bought an EP4000 second hand and the fan mod was already done. Right now the fan blows into the chassis. If this is the direction its supposed to blow why is there a filter on the front? Doesnt make sense to filter the air on way out does it?

And then furthermore the manual says back to front cooling, so which way should it be?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
That is correct, back to front. Don't know why the filter is on the front. Seems stupid to me too.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
For proper cooling the fan needs to blow from the back TO the front.

Yes I know...putting the filter in the front is completely stupid!!!

I'm very surprised they did that!

I have done the fan mode and the original fan WAS blowing back to front.

Please make sure you blow back to front or else it will get a lot hotter and quickly too!

The 1st thing I did BEFORE changing the fan I REMOVED that stupid filter in the front.

It will clog up and make the unit hotter. Again, I'm completely baffled by this design. It make no sense!

It's like a CPU fan cooler...It cools the heat-sink by blowing air to it not from it.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast /forum/post/20879283

Hijacking..

if i wire up two computer 12v 92mm fans in a series it should work as 24v fan right?

In my research on this topic I have seen where some tried this and failed due to not having enough current to get the fans started properly.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The best fan mod is the No fan mod!

Put in another area where it can huff to its hearts content. Mine overheated when I modded it, but thankfully did not let any magic smoke out. Got a balanced cable solution and moved it (them) into the shop, and no noise.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
I have considered that for my latest install. I have some larger crest amps that Im not going to mod. I can put them in my Garage (running off a 30amp circuit) and run wiring to my HT room above the garage. Im just not sure they will take the florida heat in my garage but then again they are used at live events in the same heat

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If they are NOT modded, they will handle the heat fine. I think they see more continuous on a gig, at high ambient temps, then they will see for our type use.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely amazed at the environments they will run in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.