AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that this has been answered already somewhere on this forum. But I am faced with an conundrum.

There is data supporting two different situations as the correct one, so I ask this.

For my situation, what are the correct jumper settings?

I have one source, a single RCA coming from a sub out on my AVR. I have two enclosures, both rated at eight ohm, and good for about 450 watts. (two dual opposed mfw's)

I don't want the amp modifying the signal at all, I just want the amp to amplify said signal.

So what's right?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And that is exactly why I am so confused. Cause why bother switching the filter frequency, if you are not having it on, and why bother turning the clip limiter on, if it really only clips high frequency?

not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34
And that is exactly why I am so confused. Cause why bother switching the filter frequency, if you are not having it on, and why bother turning the clip limiter on, if it really only clips high frequency?

not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.
The filter freq swith should not matter what position it is in-if it is turned off.

WHat makes you think the limiter only works on high freq?

And what is "high freq" At what point does it cease to be high freq?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not presume to know anything as much as one such as yourself Ivan. My knowledge about the clip limiter in the ep4000, is limited to what it states in the manual.

It clearly states that the clip limiter reduces high frequency distortions. My opinion of high frequency maybe different than the next, but I have yet to meet a bloke that considers less than 120hz to be a "high frequency"

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Be sure to try both ways for the high-pass filters. I had 2 units and the position on one was opposite of the other.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what do you suggest? play a 20htz tone measure, flip and replay?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Put the low cut filter to the 50hz position then try the low cut filter to the OFF position then ON, you should be able to tell easily which is correct when playing something like War of the Worlds. I have a EP4000 and the OFF position was correct on mine.

Your fine running the clip limiter on or off, I think most have it off but I have never noticed much of a difference either way so I left it on during my tests. I was testing the EP4000 with a pair of sealed LMS Ultra 18's and even with the clip limiter on it was pounding away, I don't think you will have a problem leaving it on for your MFW's.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Duh, I should have thought of that. thanks, found going to try that tonight.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those that are curious, the silkscreen on the back on my ep4000 is correct. I tried turning the filter on and off during some dubstep, (completely powering down amp before switching dips) and you can easily tell that the filter is working when switched to the on position.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Just wondering if this would work:

Receiver LFE to BFD channel 1

BFD ch 1 to EP4000 ch 1

EP4000 switches 4 and 5 to parallel

Ep4000 to two subs (1 on each channel)

Would this work or would it be better to use a y-splitter at the receiver instead and run thru both channels thru the BFD and EP4000?

·
Premium Member
14,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20779869

Just wondering if this would work:

BFD ch 1 to EP4000 ch 1

Would this work or would it be better to use a y-splitter at the receiver instead and run thru both channels thru the BFD and EP4000?

thats pretty much the same question I have

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Quote:

BFD ch 1 to EP4000 ch 1

That's exactly how I run my two subs with on LFE output from the receiver. I then run a REW sweep with both subs and EQ with 12 filters. Input 1 is duplicated to input 2, then the gains can be still set individually.

If you are trying to EQ two subs seperately then I see no reason why you can not split the signal from your receiver and then run leads to both inputs/outputs to your BFD and EP4000.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 /forum/post/0

That's exactly how I run my two subs with on LFE output from the receiver. I then run a REW sweep with both subs and EQ with 12 filters. Input 1 is duplicated to input 2, then the gains can be still set individually.

If you are trying to EQ two subs seperately then I see no reason why you can not split the signal from your receiver and then run leads to both inputs/outputs to your BFD and EP4000.

Is there a difference between the two ways that you have noticed or measured?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio /forum/post/0

will splitting the signal like that affect the input voltage? essentially causing it to cut in half between the two wires or does it duplicate the voltage out of say, the AVR?

I wouldn't think so because we are conceivably doing the same splitting at the receiver instead. If anything I would think the y-splitter would cause less input

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.