AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Awhile ago I picked up a pair of EPI 120 series floor speakers for like $10. They are in pretty good condition except both the woofers are blown. I really don't know anything about them and am hoping someone here can clear a few things up and give some advice.

My first issue is that I don't know what version they are other then the 120 model line. From what I understand there are different versions (B, C, etc) and series.  I used https://www.humanspeakers.com as a reference and from what I can determine based on the box size (30" x 10 7/8" x 9 1/2"), they are the 120 S series 2 or 3. They have an 8" woofer, 5" mid, and a tweeter. I'm not sure the size of the tweeter. Humanspeakers.com lists it has 0.5" but I was measuring 1 1/2".

Here is a picture. Sorry for the quality but it was rather dim in my garage and my smartphones battery was too low to use the flash.

The second issue, is rather or not I should use this for my surround system.

My current surround setup is as follows:

Denon AVR-3808CI Receiver

Pioneer S-FCRW2700 front & rear speakers

Pioneer CS-C280-K center speaker

Polk PSW505 subwoofer

My front & surround speakers are pretty low end. They came with my first home theater in a box system. They are all that is left from my old setup. I was thinking that I could use the EPIs as my front speakers and then use the current fronts as side surrounds. Then I could go from a 5.1 to 7.1 setup. I know this isn't ideal but I figured it would be better than what I have now until I am ready to invest in new speakers.

Obviously, I will need to either replace or repair the woofers. Is it even worth doing so? Do you think it would sound ok if I just took out the woofers and ran the mids & tweets since I have a subwoofer? I don't mind spending the money to fix the woofers if it is worth since it will still be much cheaper then what I plan to spend on my new speakers when the time comes.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I would contact Orange County Speaker repair to find out if they can repair those woofers. Are they actually blown or just need new surrounds?

I had a pair of EPI speakers in '69~71. I thought they were quite good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD  /t/1519892/epi-120-speakers-and-suitability-for-surround-system#post_24410330

I would contact Orange County Speaker repair to find out if they can repair those woofers. Are they actually blown or just need new surrounds?

I had a pair of EPI speakers in '69~71. I thought they were quite good.

I believe they just need new surrounds. I actually wouldn't mind trying to repair them myself just for the learning experience. It's not like I'd be out a bunch of money if I mess up.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I've done a few surround replacements...not difficult at all. Look on OCS web site, you might find the surrounds you need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts