AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a new home theater system from the ground up. So far I've chosen the denon 3311 for reciever and the new Q700 with a Q600 center. If i like the Q's for keepers I'll get the Q800 dipoles for rears. But here's the rift, I've read hundreds of pages here and other forums on subs,and now its down to 3 contenders..I'll be using it for home theater 2/3 of the time but do like listening to music. Any feedback from those who have some experiance with these brands would really be appreciated..I want strong bass but clear and not boomy. Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the room opens into the kitchen and dining room,so there's a ton of open space. it's also odd shaped. about 40' across and 20 from wall of ht setup to door with ceiling up to 9'. I havent had a setup in years as i was living in south asia and really miss having a decent sound system. I don't know whether I'd like ported or sealed in a sub..it'll be used mostly for movies-sports with 1/3 for music..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well the Outlaw would compare with the HSU VFT3.3 and the VFT15H is a step up from that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
That's a lot if space to fill. I would think the VTF-15H would be the best choice. Also note that all of the subs would meet your expectations of clean bass. It's more a matter of how much output you need.

Daniel

·
Registered
672 Posts
Do you have room for duals? Do you have placement options, or does the sub have to go in one spot that you've already picked out?

For a big, oddly shaped space like that you might want to look at dual subs to even out response throughout the room. In the $1000 range you might look at dual LFM-1 Pluses, dual Legends, dual Elemental Designs A3-300's...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
7200 cubic feet is a lot of space. You are going to need all of the spl you can get. The VTF-15H is the best choice out of the three for filling a room of that size. Even with it you are going to want to experiment with placement, and may find a nearfield placement is best. I suggest getting the biggest, baddest sub you can for that room and may want to add a double of it later on down the road to even response or add more spl.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have room for duals and since im divorced i can put what i want where i want.....but was thinking of gettin one to start,although i did see the dual legends seemed like a pretty good deal. im way older than most who post here but a kid at heart,but dont want the sub to overshadow the detailing of the trebles and upper mids..so under 1k it seems the hsu is looking good,but interested in more input before makin up my mind

·
Registered
410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp /forum/post/19569370

7200 cubic feet is a lot of space. You are going to need all of the spl you can get. The VTF-15H is the best choice out of the three for filling a room of that size. Even with it you are going to want to experiment with placement, and may find a nearfield placement is best. I suggest getting the biggest, baddest sub you can for that room and may want to add a double of it later on down the road to even response or add more spl.

+1 for the HSU...

·
Registered
672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajenn /forum/post/19570054

I have room for duals and since im divorced i can put what i want where i want.....but was thinking of gettin one to start,although i did see the dual legends seemed like a pretty good deal. im way older than most who post here but a kid at heart,but dont want the sub to overshadow the detailing of the trebles and upper mids..so under 1k it seems the hsu is looking good,but interested in more input before makin up my mind

So it's settled, then. Dual VTF-15's!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jaball i wish...that's way over budget..besides i live on a steep hill in northern cali and it might create a earthquake and i'd be sliding downhill, 2 vtf-15's and all....no one has chimed in on the epik empire yet,how that holds up to the hsu..

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The Epik Empire is a great sub. Subs are extremely room dependent and you have an extremely large room to work with that opens to other rooms. You would have to go with multiples of the Empire. The VTF-15 is a large 15" ported sub which will have more output than the Empire, and I believe to be a better fit for your room. If you listen at high levels then you would want multiples of the VTF-15. Volume level of -15dbs from reference still requires 100db lfe peaks at the listening position.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaball77 /forum/post/19570324

So it's settled, then. Dual VTF-15's!

Good choice!

I just got my second VTF-15h home a few hours ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.