AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13602/...-is-for-Wimps/



The latest issue of OXM features a six-page article on Unreal Tournament 3. More important, the preview contains the first details regarding the Xbox 360 version of the game, which both the developers and the magazine editors confirmed it is looking in its current state better than Gears of War.


The reason for that is Epic Games has improved the Unreal Engine 3 for Xbox 360 since they shipped Gears of War six months ago.


In the preview, Epic Games' Steven Polge, the lead designer of Unreal Tournament 3, confirms that the Xbox 360 version of the game will support four-player co-op and two-player split-screen in the single-player campaign, which will let you take different paths depending on the decisions you take.


The preview also revealed that Unreal Tournament 3 will feature 18 vehicles and 5 types of turrets. Epic also promises zero-time to spectacle thanks to the hoverboard (two of them being linked to a Manta in the picture below).


Click here to view high resolution screenshot featuring the hoverboard.



Regarding the controls, Polge revealed that they are so good that half the people who work on the game prefer to play the Xbox 360 version. Furthermore, the guy responsible for the controls has stepped in playtest sessions, where everyone was on keyboards, and with a controller he kicked everyone's butt.


Now that Epic is known among Xbox gamers for Gears or War rather than its emblematic Unreal franchise, the comparison between the two series is inevitable.


Jerry O'Flaherty, the art director for both games, says that Gears if a more confined game. UT is about big, huge distances. The speed of UT is so quick; it's not a walking environment, it's a running or flying environment.


Finally, Polge chipped into the discussion saying: It's Gears on crack. Cover is for wimps!


We encourage you to go and get the July issue of OXM to read this UT3 preview, which shows for the first time the Necris Scavenger, new levels and new screenshots of the game with plenty of gore and a disturbing headshot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,273 Posts
Sounds good and I'm from Missouri on the controller comments. They'll do anything to try to force us to hate a KM that we love. I mean really why isn't there such hatred of steering wheels? Why are they allowed to exist?


One thing I find funny is the saying they are using. Crack is supposed to be really bad. So it's Gears on Crack, really isn't that supposed to be an insult? And how do they know, they do crack over there? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/0


it is looking in its current state better than Gears of War.

Strong words, my friend.......strong words.




BourbonNcigars
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 /forum/post/0


Strong words, my friend.......strong words.




BourbonNcigars


Actually these are not my words that is from the mag in the link.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/0


Actually these are not my words that is from the mag in the link.

Oh, I know.....I just meant in general. Of course, they may be right.....



BourbonNcigars
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/0


Regarding the controls, Polge revealed that they are so good that half the people who work on the game prefer to play the Xbox 360 version. Furthermore, the guy responsible for the controls has stepped in playtest sessions, where everyone was on keyboards, and with a controller he kicked everyone's butt.

I'd love to believe this, but after years of competing in the UT series, I find it hard to trust.


Every demo I've seen of this game shows people running and hopping, without any dodging or proper axis movement.


Hopefully it'll be more dynamic, but I think it'll be tough to have controller vs. MKB when this rolls out.


-JR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
So will the 360 version have KB/Mouse Support? I hate the way the controls feel in GoW, hopefully UT3 is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
I am VERY excited. I love the UT series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,868 Posts
Well, so far since and before the release of GoW, nothing on either system (Xbox, PS3) comes even close to the quality of GoW. I even have my doubts that Halo3 will be much better (the beta is not impressive, and they may have detuned the beta, but its hard to believe that they will have a vastly superior product in 3 months). I have been playing Resistance and its not even close, as even CoD2 compared with that. If UT3 trumps GoW it will be the must have game on Xbox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
why do hover boards need shocks other than to look different than usual. The craft looks like a SW upgrade.


cant wait to see what other companies do with this engine...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,280 Posts
sorry, but it's not all about looks, gameplay plays a huge factor, and after playing the H3 beta, it trumps gears completely.


i'm a pretty big UT fan, i love fast paced FPS, but i'm not sure if it'll work on a console, but of course i'm willing to give it a chance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
I hope the controls are alot better then Gears was. The controls were ok for single player mode but horrible for Multiplayer. A simple click of the anolog stick for crouching and ducking behind objects would work and being able to press a single button for jumping would speed up the controls greatly!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,789 Posts
I agree with some earlier posters in that the Unreal series has always been about fast paced action and quick kills. So fast in fact that the intended gameplay has only been possible with a m/kb and on the PC. I just hope that they have not changed the game and made it slower so it can be played on consoles. That would be a shame.


I also hope that 360 releases a m/kb like the FragFx for the PS3. If they do then it will be a tough decision on what platform to buy for. Much more excited about this one than Halo 3 as far as multiplayer is concerned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidme /forum/post/0


I hope the controls are alot better then Gears was. The controls were ok for single player mode but horrible for Multiplayer. A simple click of the anolog stick for crouching and ducking behind objects would work and being able to press a single button for jumping would speed up the controls greatly!

wow are you serious?


Gears has one of the best control schemes for a shooter on a console...ever. Multiplayer is so easy to pick up and play.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
I thought the controls for Gears was fine.. I wouldn't say pick up and play just because every casual gaming friend that tried it had trouble for a bit, heck I did at first as the latching of the walls and running is awkward at first (very context sensitive). Once you get the hang it is fine. Still I'd change things like adding being able to just duck anywhere, not just against the wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deveng /forum/post/0


Well, so far since and before the release of GoW, nothing on either system (Xbox, PS3) comes even close to the quality of GoW. I even have my doubts that Halo3 will be much better (the beta is not impressive, and they may have detuned the beta, but its hard to believe that they will have a vastly superior product in 3 months). I have been playing Resistance and its not even close, as even CoD2 compared with that. If UT3 trumps GoW it will be the must have game on Xbox.

Judging by the last few gameplay videos of Bioshock, I'd say it smokes Gears both graphically and (especially) artistically. The dynamic lighting in particular is incredible.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top