AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn between the two. I have had long discussions with both Chad at Epik and a rep at HSU and am at a standstill. I don't know which way to go. I like the bigger driver and bigger enclosure for the Dragon, plus the $300 price difference is very nice. I also plan to add a second one down the road so the savings would be $600. I was just wondering if anyone here owns or has heard either one. I am also wondering what kind of step I would be going to as far as sound quality and output is concerned. I had dual MFW 15's but sold one so am running only one right now.

Thanks.

And if you read this Chad, thanks a ton for the time and information you gave me over the phone, you were very knowledgeable and professional and I could tell that you have a real true passion for building subs of high quality. I loved the conversation we had. Same holds true for the HSU rep, I wish I got his name.

I love this hobby!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have not heard any of the Epik subs, but I recently purchased a ULS-15 Quad Drive. They are in a 2050 cu ft room and are truly outstanding performers. With REW and a calibrated mic, I have measured response to below 10Hz at the main listening position.

Total available output and headroom with the 4 is oustanding, as you would think. So is sound quality - very fast, taut sound on LFE as well as music, especially on bass drum. I tried pushing them to find their output limits, but I gave up due to ear pain.

The ULS-15 has wireless, which may or may not be important to you. It was not to me - everything was already hardwired - but I tried it out of curiosity and it worked fine.

I posted my review with REW plots on the Hsu forum and on Hometheatershack.com.

I doubt that you can go wrong with either. I chose the Hsu because of the quantity discount and the wood veneer, which is quite attractive.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
JEFFREY,

Bottom line, what are you looking for in a sub? You had dual MFW 15's, you now have one. Why did you sell one of the MFW 15's? What finish did you have on the MFW-15? Are you looking for a sub with a good looking veneer that will play below 20Hz?

I almost bought the Dragon myself but I was not happy with the way it would look in a family room environment. It also would require good in room response to go below 20Hz where the Hsu is only -1 db down at 15Hz measured outside.

Are you planing on keeping the other MFW 15?

If so you would have the midbass slam covered by the MFW and get the added extension from the ULS-15. What are your listening habits? 50% music 50% movies or is it more towards movies?

Buy the way I have a Dual Drive Walnut ULS-15 system along with two older Velodynes in my very open family room and the bass actually sounds good upstairs in the middle bedroom.

Answers some of these questions and it will help you to decide on what to buy.

BTW I noticed you have only had the MFW's just over a year, maybe you should stop reading this forum. LOL

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. 4?!?!?! That must just be insane. Nothing exceeds like excess. You can never have too much. I wish I could buy 4 or even two at a time but unfortunately my budget can't afford it, I have to do piece by piece. I wonder if HSU would give me a discount if I bought another ULS-15 within 6 months or so. These sound like everything I am looking for. The first test I do with any new sub is with very fast paced kick drums. Do you have pics of your set up?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Click on MY system below signature

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The Dragon is very fast as well. I listen to techno, house, and trance music on occasions, and the Dragon was able to keep up no problem. It stops on a dime everytime. It doesn't matter it is hitting 110db's or 60db's the Dragon keeps up.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS /forum/post/17027055

The first test I do with any new sub is with very fast paced kick drums.

I can guarantee that the ULS-15 excels with kick drums.

Although I have not heard them in the same rooms, I have heard the ULS-15 in my room, and a MFW-15 at a friend's (old amp...he actually has two, but the other sub had a second dead amp). The two subs sound very different.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 /forum/post/17027393

The Dragon is very fast as well. I listen to techno, house, and trance music on occasions, and the Dragon was able to keep up no problem. It stops on a dime everytime. It doesn't matter it is hitting 110db's or 60db's the Dragon keeps up.

Hksvr4, what other subs have you heard?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I've had, Klipsch sub 12, PA120, and a Sony. I've heard Klipsch rt12d and some Polk stuff. Also listened to numberious car audio subs. Sealed, ported, band-pass. No radiators though. 10's,12's,13's,15's, and 18's. The Dragon can hold it's own.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS /forum/post/17027055

I wonder if HSU would give me a discount if I bought another ULS-15 within 6 months or so.

Hsu offered me 30 days to buy the second pair for the quad price. I knew I would end up with 4 anyway. I doubt they would extend the offer to 6 months, but you won't know until you ask.

Pics are on the Hsu website.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here is the front of the room - hard to take a good pic with the black wall treatment and white screen. Mains are 1998 vintage Klipschorns with a Belle Klipsch center.

Also attached is a REW freq. response plot using a calibrated Behringer ECM-8000 mic and with a BFD EQ engaged using 4 filters. This is with only the subs on and is at the main listening chair about 11 feet back from the front wall. The solid line is REW's default curve for 80Hz crossover, which is where I have mine set.

The valley above 100Hz almost disappears with the mains on. I added a 5th BFD filter to the subs to lift that range up a tad and now the valley is gone. I suspect that Audyssey sensed the interaction between the mains and the subs and caused the valley.

The rising response below 20 Hz sure seems to be real when playing test tones and is likely from room gain. It drops off again below about 7-8Hz. The mic is calibrated to 5 Hz.

For all measurements, the ULF trim on the subs was at 50Hz, which should be minimum EQ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.