AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well to begin i bought a svs Pc12-nsd cylinder sub while living in the parents basement. I never thought I'd leave but fast fwd 2 yrs later And I've now got my own place. The problem is the cylinder sub is an eye-sore in the living room. I would prefer a big box I can tuck next to the couch. The room is pretty big and open 14x31x10 and that doesn't include the hallway opening. So probably 5500 cu ft. Total

So where to start? I think I've narrowed down to the epik empire vs hsu vtf-15. I'm 80/20 movies to music. Spls > sq > looks > plug and play in order of pref. Budget? I'd prefer to stay at 1k but 2 empires for 1.5k sounds tempting. Open to any other brands and suggestions...OR do I suck it up and stick with the svs eyesore?

I should also mention that my fronts are def tech mythos STS. Yes I love my bass lol.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The PC12-NSD is a pounding sub. If you are looking to upgrade due to looks, I would go to something better than a black box, which is what the stock VTF15h and Empire is. I would be looking at a Rosenut VTF15, Cherry SVS PB12 Plus, or maybe the Elemental Designs A7-350 in one of their nicer finishes such as Bamboo or Gloss Black. A Rythmik FV15HP in the Piano Black would also look pretty sweet as well. If you're gonna replace a sub due to looks, might as well switch it for something gorgeous.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Are you in an apartment or home? If you're in an apartment The Captivator may as well be named The Evictor. Really though the Cap has excellent SQ to go with its insane LF output but its very big and over your budget. With that large open space I'd consider dual Empires or a ported sub and place it nearfield like the VTF15 or Rythmik FV15. Dual VTF15's or FV15's could be more aesthetic than a Cap but also significantly over your budget. A single Rythmik FV15(+/- the HP version) in Piano black is only slightly over budget. Not quite the pants-flapping spls of the Captivator but better looking and you can add another later as funds become available.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I asked the right question. I guess what I'm really asking is what kind of increase in spl would I gain from swapping out the svs with an empire or the hsu and is it worth 1k? I know that I want to get rid of the svs because of looks but I'm worried it will probably end up sitting in the basement til the end of time without being resold like the rest of my old equipment.

And the captivator? Ya that wildabeast!!! is not going to work for me lol. I should be more clear when I say I'm upgrading due to looks. I really just want a black box that will be easily hidden next to the couch. The empire and hsu fit the bill.

I am thinking because of the size of the living room I should go with one empire and upgrade to a second one in the future.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver /forum/post/20911115

I don't think I asked the right question. I guess what I'm really asking is what kind of increase in spl would I gain from swapping out the svs with an empire or the hsu and is it worth 1k? I know that I want to get rid of the svs because of looks but I'm worried it will probably end up sitting in the basement til the end of time without being resold like the rest of my old equipment.

And the captivator? Ya that wildabeast!!! is not going to work for me lol. I should be more clear when I say I'm upgrading due to looks. I really just want a black box that will be easily hidden next to the couch. The empire and hsu fit the bill.

I am thinking because of the size of the living room I should go with one empire and upgrade to a second one in the future.

Given that your priority is spl over sound quality, a ported sub can handle the kind of open space in your environment. That says to me the HSU VTF-15H @ $879 plus shipping, with the option to buy a second later on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.