AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right I have narrowed my search down to these 3 options. I'm looking for input on the pro's, con's and differences of the 3 option's and what you think will best fill my room with slam and killer bass. I use the system for 50/50 HT/Music. The lower extensions are nice but I want to feel it hit me when something happens.

My room is 20' deep and 25' wide with 10' celings. It is a family/dinning room combo has a 1/2 wall leading into a 2000cu ft kitchen. also opens to a 1500 cu ft foyer and hallway and then a 1400cu ft den. It's a new house from 3 yrs ago and is 18" tile with a 12' x 12' carpeted area that the sectional couch and other stuff is on. We sit 14" from the TV and I have no corners to put a sub in to. I have a TV niche behind my TV stand( only corners in the room that a sub will fit) where I can put 1 or 2 subs that is 5' wide and 36" deep.( would it be to boomy back there to put 1 or 2 subs.)) Other wise the sub(s) will go on either one or each end of the sectional. There is no room behind either part of the sectional to put a sub and no the wife said I can't pull it out from the wall.( Since she agreed to this I am not going to push my luck
). Musically it is a pretty bright room as the walls have some decorations put not much and the 20' wall is a slider and 2 big windows with light curtains that are never closed.

If I left out any important info please let me know.

I have read a number of post that people with this sized room should get 2 subs but all of them had a budget of $800.00 or less and am not sur if getting a Tower would change that ( also told no to the Conquest). I am not sure what differences I would see in these options and am hoping for some feedback/ideas.

Thanks in advance for your input.

PS-I could live with any one of these options and be very, very happy.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
If you're going with duals, most people logically choose mfw-15 duals, since they are cheaper that way.

If you layed the Conquest on its side (it sounds better that way) would she still say no to that?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on the MFW dual I don't want to wait 3-6 months for them to show up, plus I have been reading about all the problems people are having when they receive their subs. I think they would sound amazing but I will wait till they get there sh&% together and may be get some in the next couple years.

As far as the Conquest goes I like the lying it on its side idea but it may not work well where I am going to put it the it would have to come out into " The WAF ZONE" and that juist wouldn't work.

Ad finally I am already going over the $1000.00 budget the love of my life gave me and I don't have enough money left in my hidden "for Marks fun " stash after the new speakers, Receiver, CD/SACD/DVD player, Tape deck and all the new cables for all the above. I have a little ove r $300 left until I can find a wayto replenish it and get a PEQ for the sub.

With all that being said any of these options will be a HUGE improvement over my current...don't laugh.....
Bose acoustimass 3 sub form a system I've had for over 12 yrs. So you can see that anything will be a HUGE improvement.

I am really leaning to the Epik Tower unless someone can explain why I neeed 2 subs and the advantage to them

·
Registered
624 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON IN II /forum/post/14198368

I am really leaning to the Epik Tower unless someone can explain why I neeed 2 subs and the advantage to them

From my understanding, you get a smoother response with less peaks and vallies in the frequencies in the room. In addition, I think you get a SPL increase of 6 dB. This post also has some more info for you:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1038679

Opps. I forgot to mention. I currently have a Outlaw EX and would love to have 2! Another option would be to add a MBM with just one sub. That is what I currently have in a 2,300 cubic foot room. The EX handles 20-50Hz. and the MBM 50-80Hz.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input and link. I just got off the phone with Chad at Epik and I ordered two Knights. Chad at Epik is the best!! Period.

This was the last part of my sytem upgrade and now I don't know what I am going to do with all my free time
. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON IN II /forum/post/14199938

Thanks for the input and link. I just got off the phone with Chad at Epik and I ordered two Knights. Chad at Epik is the best!! Period.

This was the last part of my sytem upgrade and now I don't know what I am going to do with all my free time
. Any ideas?

Thanks

Please post your thoughts on them after you get them hooked up. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts