AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to post a brief review on the Episode 500 Series THIN soundbar. (keep in mind I am by no means an audio expert here so please excuse my basic review) I had never heard of Episode speakers until my custom installer suggested it. I have a large room with vaulted ceilings and my 60" TV is mounted on a wall that has a staircase going to the second floor behind it...so when I said I wanted to have in wall speakers he said it would be near impossible without re-framing the steps. I had some concern at first. At first glance, when I opened the box I was positively surprised at what was in it. The sound bar was well built and heavy. This is not a plastic soundbar, it was all aluminum, loaded with 4" woofers, 4" passive radiators, and 1" tweeters. It looks very clean, no branding on the outside, just piano black aluminum with a black cloth cover. The speaker comes with a wall mounting bracket, but we instead used two mounting brackets that were sold separately to allow it to hang from the bottom of the TV for a cleaner look. the speaker has a spot for a hidden IR repeater which I don't need but I would think would be nice for someone wanting to have their equipment hidden. After all was hooked up it was time to fire it up. I have it hooked to a Sony ST-DRG920 amp, and it was complimented by an Episode Triple 8 sub, and two Speakercraft in walls for the rear surround. We watched some TV, played a blu-ray, and listened to music and all different levels. The sound was amazing at all levels. My main concern was whether it would have a narrow range being that the center, left and right speakers were all together but this is not the case. I played a live song using Youtube from my Samsung smart hub, which as many know has its sound quality limitations so it only used the soundbar and sub, not the surrounds, and the sound completely blew me away. When seated on the middle of the couch I would have sworn the rear surrounds were on, the sound coming from this soundbar surrounded me. If you are looking for a really well built soundbar, that sounds as phenomenal as it looks, this is it...oh and did I mention its less than 2" thick? I'll post some pictures soon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts