AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at least not on WXIX - Cincinnati. They even displayed Fox High Resolution Widescreen at the opening of the movie, but all we get is a semi-stretched 4x3 version.

Bogus!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have it here on wflx-29. Its okay, I think the dvd looks better. Plus no 5.1

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bootz
at least not on WXIX - Cincinnati. They even displayed Fox High Resolution Widescreen at the opening of the movie, but all we get is a semi-stretched 4x3 version.

Bogus!!!
I'll second that "Bogus". The Last time we saw 16x9 from WXIX was the Superbowl, and for a week or so beforehand. A few of us have tried communication with WXIX and Fox to no avail so far.

What's even worse, I don't believe WRGT-DT Fox Dayton has any current plans to pass 16x9. In fact, they are currently off the air.

What really makes it look bad is all the other(6) Cincy/Dayton area locals either have HD, or 16x9 480p in the case of WCVN-DT KET/PBS -- Who has HD plans for the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
4x3 from WYNY, FOX NY. I tuned out right away after I saw that. It's bad enough they don't do HDTV, you would think they would give you SOME reason to watch. I jumped ship to Survivor and CSI.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The FCC should take Fox to task for false advertising, claiming high resolution. What a joke. It was presented in wide screen in boston area via WFXT, but became 4:3 in last 3 or 4 min. of the show. The lack of professionalism on the part of the Fox networks and affiliates is terrible.

Pat

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Does FOX claim to use high resolution? I don't think so....I think they brand it as "FOX Widescreen" if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My picture actually looked quite good. I have a 100" screen and it looked and sounded fine; I would say even better than my dvd does.

I hesitate straying from the norm but that was my experience here in Arcadia Calif, a suburb of Los Angeles.

Ernie

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ernie Smith
My picture actually looked quite good. I have a 100" screen and it looked and sounded fine; I would say even better than my dvd does.

I hesitate straying from the norm but that was my experience here in Arcadia Calif, a suburb of Los Angeles.

Ernie
I find that hard to believe, unless you

a) Don't have a DD5.1 receiver (in which case the DVD would be Pro Logic like the FOX airing

b) You don't have a progressive scan DVD player (which is the ONLY way that the 480p broadcast from FOX could possibly look better.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The banner at the beginning of the shows says:

Fox Widescreen

High Resolution Digital TV

What a crock!

·
Registered
357 Posts
In NYC it started as 4:3 then sometime in the middle it went to widescreen then flipped back to 4:3. The picture in widescreen didn't look any better than the DVD. I have a Sony 65XBR

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I started watching and recording it but was getting so many breakups I turned it off.

But what I saw was more or less DVD resolution except with some of the shimmery scaling defects on vertical pans that are usually typical of an upconvert from interlaced source.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I watched Episode 1 last night on FOX and I thought it looked terrible even for 480p. That broadcast last night in no way looked as good or even comparable to the DVD.

It also didn't help matters that I was switching back and forth from Episode 1 and HBO's HD showing of the movie "The Brothers" which looked outstanding.

I just don't understand what the hell FOX is doing broadcasting 480p while the other networks do 720p and 1080i. There ought to be a law that says either 1080i/720p or nothing.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
The picture in widescreen didn't look any better than the DVD.
Recall commenting earlier on Fox's first presentation, which I somehow managed to tune in only 9 blocks from NYC's transmitter. But multipath is so erratic I couldn't pick up the second episode, and skipped trying last night for CBS via cable instead. Growing rumbles that Time Warner here will soon add ABC, PBS, and even non-HDTV Fox to its current HBO, CBS, Showtime, NBC lineup. Fox really should adopt 720p or 1080i transmissions. You'd almost think someone in that organization had donated campaign funds to both parties in Washington and felt immune to requests from officials. Telling everyone it's high-resolution widescreen seems vaguely akin to its 'both sides' so-called news coverage, with an actual decided slant. Believe this technique has a name.

Suspect, if you've been fortunate enough to actually get stable 480p 16X9 Star Wars episodes that they would be much like DVDs in quality. That is, as outlined in "When is 480X704 better than 480X720?" , Fox is delivering much better color bandwidth via component out than DVDs, cable, or other sources deliver via S-video, NTSC composite or RF. Now all they have to do is bump the transmitted resolution up to HDTV standards. -- John

·
Registered
275 Posts
There is no point in beatting a dead horse, Fox has chosen to be the "Yugo" of TV, why bother trying to get good picture quality out of it.

It will never happen with Fox on a HDTV set, it is impossible. Just like trying to get good & accurate sound out a Bose system, no matter what Bose says.

C

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by carlosrojas-pdx
Just like trying to get good & accurate sound out a Bose system, no matter what Bose says.

C
And I thought I was the only one that believed that..

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Fox is delivering much better color bandwidth via component out than DVDs, cable, or other sources deliver via S-video, NTSC composite or RF.
But is it better color bandwidth than is actually stored on the DVD? What about those of us with HTPCs that connect via RGBHV to a projector?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.