Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm talking about any Epos bookshelf and Ascend 340. I haven't heard any of them, but from what I read they have quite similar characteristics: open and transparent sound, very good stereo imaging, great mids and the bass they have is tight and precise. Did anyone hear both of them and would care to make a comment or short comparison?

Thanks, Virgil.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv1612
Hi,

I'm talking about any Epos bookshelf and Ascend 340. I haven't heard any of them, but from what I read they have quite similar characteristics: open and transparent sound, very good stereo imaging, great mids and the bass they have is tight and precise. Did anyone hear both of them and would care to make a comment or short comparison?

Thanks, Virgil.
I haven't heard every speaker in the Epos line, but I have auditioned the M-12.2's and I would say they are about as far from Ascend as you can get. The Epos has that typical WARM British monitor sound and the Ascends are considered VERY neutral.

With the Epos 12.2's you could listen to them for hours and hours on end without any fatigue. Even with their aluminum dome tweeters which tend to "ring" a bit and be a little on the bright side, they are articulate and airy in the highs without that "brightness." You will also get a lush, warm mid range and fairly decent bass, that while not super "punchy," is still full for a monitor. Of course, these are the $900 per pair 12.2's, not the $275 per pair ELS-3's which I am assuming you are comparing to the Ascends.

Making another assumption, but based on absolutely no facts what so ever, I would guess the ELS-3's would "retain" some of the characteristics of it's big sibling in keeping with the "family" sound. The ELS-3's are also vinyl wrapped which I am not a fan of at all. Even with the recent improvements with the vinyls, they still look like what they are IMHO.... cheap imitations of what real wood "might" look like.

In the $900 range of the 12.2's (while I do very much like them), I have other favorites that I would choose. In the $300 price range (or a little higher), I would take the Ascends in a heartbeat. Just make sure the up stream components and source material are of nice quality. If not, you will DEFINITELY hear it with the Ascends.

Just my $.02, YMMV, IMHO, FWIW and all that....

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I haven't listened to the Acends, but when I bought my pair of EPOS ELS-3's I did listen to a variety of different speakers (the replaced a set of B&W 601 S2's, listened to speakers from Aperion audio that cost $100 or so more). The Epos were very neutral, and have a far more open soundstage than anything else my friend and I listened to in the price range (he got a set for his bedroom, I got two pairs and the matching center for my apartment's home theater). For $300, I didn't hear a single speaker out there that came close, and I'm find with how they look. I'm actually going to move my current ELS-3's in the front to rears, add the new 303's, and have a full EPOS 7.1 setup here soon, so I obviously think pretty highly of them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quadriverfalls: "The Epos has that typical WARM British monitor sound and the Ascends are considered VERY neutral. "

Smackrabbit: "The Epos were very neutral..."

quadriverfalls, I heard several times about the warm, laid back british sound, what exactly does it mean in your opinion? I used to think warm means some kind of bumps in the mids, but than they would not be neutral... About amplifiers, I'm thinking about Nad, Harman Kardon or Rotel. I'd choose any of the three for Ascends but only HK or Rotel for Epos, NAD seems to be kind of dark; any comments?

I'm in Canada but want to send the speakers in Romania; Ascend 340 would be towards $700 shipped there. Epos could be bought in Romania for surprisingly good prices: M12.2 for 490Euro, M5 for 370Euro and Els3 for 230Euro, tax included! That's what I have to choose from.

From Epos listeners, do these three bookshelves belong to a kind of family with similar sound, differing only in size, or is it some significant sound difference between them?

Thanks, Virgil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wait.... WARM British monitor sound??? I've yet to put my ears on a set of Warm British made speakers. Not to say that I don't enjoy a great deal of what I've listened to from Linn, B&W Dynaudio (which came closest to warm... still...)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Ascend 340 would be towards $700 shipped there. Epos could be bought in Romania for surprisingly good prices: M12.2 for 490Euro, M5 for 370Euro and Els3 for 230Euro, tax included!
$700! That's more than the cost of the speaker, assuming it's a pair only.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgroovee
Wait.... WARM British monitor sound??? I've yet to put my ears on a set of Warm British made speakers. Not to say that I don't enjoy a great deal of what I've listened to from Linn, B&W Dynaudio (which came closest to warm... still...)

Ok.... I guess, I'm going WAY back to my Spendor days. Their classic S-3/5 (I think?) monitors were always referred to as warm and lush. I found the Epos 12.2's to have the sound that most reminded me of those Spendors of long ago.

Not overly so as to be extremely "bumped" in the mids, just a nice "round" is what I would call it.... sound in the mids. The 340's are a way more neutral and "analytical" speaker, or some would say.... more accurate.

I agree that B & W has gone away from that "warmth" in a lot of their lines as well.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd
$700! That's more than the cost of the speaker, assuming it's a pair only.
Shipped not shipping.

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
If you can do this :

Quote:
I'm in Canada but want to send the speakers in Romania; Ascend 340 would be towards $700 shipped there. Epos could be bought in Romania for surprisingly good prices: M12.2 for 490Euro, M5 for 370Euro and Els3 for 230Euro, tax included! That's what I have to choose from.
For this, the M5 :

http://www.epos-acoustics.com/main_i..._images/m5.jpg

$370 Euro is about $450 US - The M5 is a fantastic speaker...

And even the $490 Euro for the M12.2 is under $600 US - and is a BEAUTIFUL speaker. For the prices you can get Epos delivered in Europe, IMO, that is the way to go.

The M12.2 ...

http://www.epos-acoustics.com/downlo...ages/m12.2.jpg

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd
What was I thinking? Or maybe I wasn't. :)
Getting a pair of $548 speakers from here to Romania for $700 with shipping is pretty reasonable.

And time you aren't thinking, drop me a PM. I could use the company .... :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$700 shipping included was a guess, I didn't ask Dave or anyone about that, so I don't know, it could be more. But I'm leaning more and more towards Epos, for their price in Europe.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd really be interested in a comparison between the 3 Epos bookshelves. Craig, you know something about that? :rolleyes:

Edited: Mainly, M12.2 compared to M5.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Plus, what a hassle if you had to return the Ascends. Logistically, probably better to go with what's locally available.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I feel quite confident that I'd like Ascends very much, but the shipping really scares me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quad,

I wish I had the same frame of reference. Being relatively young, I think I have missed a great deal of fine offerings in the past. My curiosity is piqued by the Epos line. I'd like to give them a listen, but haven't yet found a shop that offers them. I'll keep looking!

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
Quote:
I'd really be interested in a comparison between the 3 Epos bookshelves. Craig, you know something about that? :rolleyes:

Edited: Mainly, M12.2 compared to M5.
Just some listening at a dealer, but nothing in the way of a formal test. They both are excellent, musical speakers. And their finish is drop dead beautiful.

And watch that eye rolling stuff. :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub
And watch that eye rolling stuff. :p
Uoops, I'm not sure what I've done!

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Find a local dealer and listen to the Epos. If you like them, considering the costs, I think that would be the way to go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.