AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a house and it has a dedicated home theater room with a Epsom 8700ub is this a good projector. And what thing should I look for as far as maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The Epson 8700UB is a solid projector. It is a fair bit past it's prime at this point, but it is a full 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution model with solid reviews.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_8700UB_projector_review.htm

It's a 2010 model, which shipped last in 2012, so while it's not new, it's not terribly old either.

The projector has a good lens on it, and should deliver a quality image for several years to come.

The manual can be found here:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8700_UB.htm

So, go ahead, download it, and take some time to actually read it.

Regular maintenance likely involves an air filter on the projector, and odds are good that it is overdue for a serious cleaning. Make sure to be very careful when cleaning a projector.

If you get a good image from the projector, then hang onto it for a few more years. You may find that UHD projectors are finally on the market at a reasonable price. The 8700UB doesn't have 3D functionality, but delivers a high quality 2D image. Likely excellent for the room and space you are using it in, and since you just moved in and likely have low/no budget for upgrades, then this isn't the time to be spending a ton on a new projector.

You should check the lamp hours (in the menu) to see how many are on the current lamp. If the image looks poor, and very 'grey' instead of popping with color, then it may be about time for a new lamp. I know I left my old projector at my last house and it only had a couple hundred hours on the lamp and gave a great image that likely would look good for at least a year or two for the new home owners. So, you could have similar results.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks the projector look good but I think it needs a new bulb. I think I will stick with it until I decide to get a 4k projector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts