AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pj newbie here, starting ti build home theater. how far away does this projector have to sit from a 119'' screen. specs say like 3-70 feet, but i didnt know if i set it back 3 feet if the picture would look as good as 15' back

·
Registered
53 Posts
The closer the projector is to the screen, the brighter the picture will be (relatively speaking). Just something to keep in mind in case you don't have a light controlled room and you want to use the 'better' cinema modes.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with closer is always better.

Closer will maximize light output - but depending on the lens quality, may introduce some image distortion on the edges of the image. The 1080 seems to have a fairly good lens so the distortion is a very minor issue.

Further away reduces issues with the lens (again, very minor impact here). It does as was pointed out, decrease the overall brightness. This can be viewed as a negative - however, along with the decreased brightness, you can also get improved contrast.

Also consider fan noise (if you put the projector farther from you, the fan will seem quieter). Wife Approval Factor (WAF) also comes into play.

Roo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts