AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main question is...I would like to have the largest screen possible, but I've read that operating at the highest zoom will cause blurriness/loss of picture quality. So at which amount of zoom will I get the best picture? Or which screen size should I go with?


Some quick details to help answer...


I just purchased my first projector, the Epson 1080 ub. I've purchased screen material from a local projector store, and I'll be building a fixed screen. I bought enough material to cover a 120" screen. My projector will be 11.8 feet from the screen (that's the exact throw distance). I'll be sitting 12ish ft away from the screen.


According to the projection calculator I can hit 119" at full zoom, 1.83x zoom=106", 1.91x zoom=110", or at 1.99x zoom=115".


If anyone could help me with my issue I would be grateful! I've searched around the forms here, but haven't found any real solid details from an Epson 1080 ub owner about how much the zoom will effect the picture quality!


EDIT: Once I get this thing all together, I'll need some tips on calibrating this thing...seeing I've never had one of these!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATT /forum/post/14217413


The main question is...I would like to have the largest screen possible, but I've read that operating at the highest zoom will cause blurriness/loss of picture quality. So at which amount of zoom will I get the best picture? Or which screen size should I go with?


Some quick details to help answer...


I just purchased my first projector, the Epson 1080 ub. I've purchased screen material from a local projector store, and I'll be building a fixed screen. I bought enough material to cover a 120" screen. My projector will be 11.8 feet from the screen (that's the exact throw distance). I'll be sitting 12ish ft away from the screen.


According to the projection calculator I can hit 119" at full zoom, 1.83x zoom=106", 1.91x zoom=110", or at 1.99x zoom=115".


If anyone could help me with my issue I would be grateful! I've searched around the forms here, but haven't found any real solid details from an Epson 1080 ub owner about how much the zoom will effect the picture quality!


EDIT: Once I get this thing all together, I'll need some tips on calibrating this thing...seeing I've never had one of these!

You're in luck...I read this just today! Scroll to the last entry at the bottom

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...review-update/


I would go with the largest, personally. At that zoom, it will be plenty bright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,155 Posts
As with cameras, the more you use the zoom the bigger the effect on IQ. Of course, its all relative and hard to recommend a compromise because is something you need to find out yourself. Most people is able to live with whatever zoom they need and most of the time the bigger screen has the effect of really grabbing your full attention and make you forget about the technology....thats what we all want at the end of the day. :)


I say, try it on your own and let your eyes decide. Hopefully you can find a way to attach the material to the wall for some testing.

In my case I bought a bigger than needed DW Laminate and after watching movies for some time made a final decision on size...then went ahead and build the masking around the screen.

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/14217611


You're in luck...I read this just today! Scroll to the last entry at the bottom

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...review-update/


I would go with the largest, personally. At that zoom, it will be plenty bright.

Oh my gosh...this is exactly what I've been searching for! This made my day, forget that...my week! Hahaha! 5% of either end does sound reasonable enough. So that means I shouldn't go over 1.957 zoom. Which means I can hit 113" with no noticeable quality hits. However, from what the guy said, it looks like going even a tad higher wont hurt. I don't want to push it to the limit, but I know that hitting 115"/116" wont cause noticeable quality loss. Sadly, I wont be able to get test before building. I'm a jr in college, and I went my first two years at a local community college...now I'm transferring 3 hours away. The thing has to be built here, and taken there in a Uhall, so there will be no chance to test it out and see what I like. Hopefully I can find a friends house to test it at though.

So now for the second part. Is there any type of video that people use to calibrate...or is there a guide for the epson 1080 ub explaining what all the video settings are. I hate to be a total noob about this...but guess what...I am!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATT /forum/post/14218200


Oh my gosh...this is exactly what I've been searching for! This made my day, forget that...my week! Hahaha! 5% of either end does sound reasonable enough. So that means I shouldn't go over 1.957 zoom. Which means I can hit 113" with no noticeable quality hits. However, from what the guy said, it looks like going even a tad higher wont hurt. I don't want to push it to the limit, but I know that hitting 115"/116" wont cause noticeable quality loss. Sadly, I wont be able to get test before building. I'm a jr in college, and I went my first two years at a local community college...now I'm transferring 3 hours away. The thing has to be built here, and taken there in a Uhall, so there will be no chance to test it out and see what I like. Hopefully I can find a friends house to test it at though.

So now for the second part. Is there any type of video that people use to calibrate...or is there a guide for the epson 1080 ub explaining what all the video settings are. I hate to be a total noob about this...but guess what...I am!

You'll have to allow at least a foot and a half of clearance from the back wall for the projector itself and room to connect the cables in the back and room for ventilation.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14215463


Four your second part, check the main threads on the Epson Pro unit in the 3000 and up forum and the Epson Home unit in the under 3000. The manual should describe all the settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The room is 13 ft long. After doing a little measuring I thought I could get it in there with 11.8 from the lens to the screen...I'm guessing you would recommend allowing the extra .3 of space? That kills me size wise, hahaha!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top