Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news!

According to this page Epson is ready for 1920 x 1080 LCD panels.

http://www.areadvd.com/news/2004/200...Epson_D5.shtml

Bad translation :D

Quote:
Epson locked and plans the development of the new "D5"-LCD-Panel-Generation according to own data the beginning of the mass production in May 2005. For developers first production Samples is to be available still in October. The new LCD panels offer a native HDTV dissolution of 1920 x to 1080 pixels. Thus LCD Rueckprojektionsfernseher and LCD Videoprojektoren with genuine HDTV dissolution could already come into the trade in the coming year
Let´s see what are the prices of the new PJ. :)

Nacho.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Ah, this is interesting. I had understood from previous reports that only the 720P version of the D5 would be available in sample quantities for developers this month. This suggests we could see something VERY interesting at CES.

Thanks for translating and posting.

Dan

·
Registered
622 Posts
Epson Develops True-HD 1080p LCD Panels for 3LCD Projection Systems

Tokyo (JCNN) - Seiko Epson has announced the completed development of its D5 series of true-HD-ready high-temperature polysilicon (HTPS) TFT liquid crystal panels for 3LCD-type front-projectors and large-screen HDTV LCD projection televisions for the home. Epson will start shipping development samples of the new panels in October 2004 and plans to begin shipping the panels in production quantities in May 2005.

Epson sought to enhance brightness by increasing the aperture ratio and also to maximize contrast and resolution. Responding to demands from the consumer market for even better picture quality and lower prices, Epson announced in June that it had developed its first panel in the D5 series: a 0.7-inch, 720p model. Now joining the D5 series lineup is a 0.9-inch, 1080p model designed for true-HDTV systems. This latest addition to the lineup will allow users to enjoy true-HDTV picture quality on projection systems employing the 3LCD design, which uses three HTPS panels.

Details about the technology used in the new D5 series will be presented at FPD International 2004, which will be held at the Pacifico Yokohama convention center from October 20 - 22.

·
Premium Member
7,373 Posts
These are the chips in the Fujitsu that was shown at CEDIA as specified in the press release carried by WSR on their subscriber site. This announcement should come as no surprise.

TM

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
What size are the D4 panels? I thought the D5 720p was supposed to be a smaller chip.... does that mean the new 1080p chips will be the same size as the old D4 720p and therefore a drop in replacement? :D

With my luck, Panny will probably swap it out, call it an AE1080 and jack the price up like $15K just because they can!

-Matt

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
All else being equal, ie same screen size, same throw distance...

Would screen door be less apparent because of a greater pixel density into a given surface area? I think it would be, but I've been known to be wrong from time to time.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody
These are the chips in the Fujitsu that was shown at CEDIA as specified in the press release carried by WSR on their subscriber site. This announcement should come as no surprise.
If these chips were used in that projector then it would seem it couldn't ship very soon based on this. Are you sure those weren't D4 panels? I believe that Fujitsu should be shipping in the next month or two.

--Darin

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kotches

Would screen door be less apparent because of a greater pixel density into a given surface area? I think it would be, but I've been known to be wrong from time to time.
Yes, it would be less apparent.

BB

·
Premium Member
7,373 Posts
Here's the release I mentioned. I took from the language that these were a new gen of chips and therefore D5. Could be wrong I guess:

"Fujitsu To Add LCD Projector

By Greg Tarr -- TWICE, 9/27/2004

INDIANAPOLIS— Fujitsu is preparing to expand its home theater PlasmaVision offerings with an LCD-based front projector for home theater applications.

Tedd Rozylowicz, the president of Fujitsu, showed CEDIA dealers a prototype projector based on Epson's new “3LCD†technology.

“Epson made a new LCD array that allows us to do true 1,080p resolution,†he said.

Fujitsu's projector, which Rozylowicz said would probably sell for around $24,999 when it ships “hopefully before Christmas,†uses a two-piece design, including a source box that incorporates an A/V switcher.

“The resolution is so good on this projector that you literally cannot see the screen-door effect in the image. It is fabulous,†said Rozylowicz, who worked in Sharp's SharpVision LCD projector unit earlier in his career. “These units really have a superior picture [to rival DLP and LCoS technologies].â€

Fujitsu is one of about six manufacturers preparing to launch front projectors based on Epson's “3LCD†technology.

Rozylowicz said Fujitsu realizes that the high-end front projector business has a limited market, but the company believes it has developed enough of a high-end dealer following to warrant an expansion.

“We do such a good job in our plasma business, that our customers are just as inclined to give us [the projector] sale. It's not a big deal for them. We don't make them carry any inventory, and it is just a good arrangement,†he said.

Other features of the projector will include a long-life bulb, he said. Inputs include component video and HDMI/HDCP. The source box will not include tuners, Rozylowicz said.

He said Fujitsu will make the projector available through the same distribution network as its PlasmaVision displays."

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kotches

Brandon B says yes but I am not so sure, especially given the complexities of human visual perceptual response.

It seems reasonable that if everything scales equally so that the fill ratio is constant then screen door will be less visible on 1080 vs 720 resolution panels.

However, what if the dimensions of the interpixel gaps remain constant ? Then the fill ratio decreases and it is not so obvious to me that the screen door visibility will decrease (or at least decrease as much as one might expect).

What are our eyes sensitive to especially at the threshold of visibility ? Is it the actual detail (feature size) or is it the spatial frequency of the detail ?

Brent.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I have seen lower resolution projectors along side higher (SVGA vs. XGA) on the same setup. SDE is less apparent. BUT it sure isn't gone. And I wouldn't argue that it doesn't still have an effect on PQ.

So I don't think we disagree. I m just saying that the spatial frequency of the grid is increasing, which makes it a bit less apparent. It may or may not make the issue some describe as a "haze" over the image with LCD worse though, in the situation you describe where interpixel gap remains constant.

So I am not saying the picture is unconditionally improved by going from 720 or 768 to 1080, but it does make SDE less apparent.

BB

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon B
I have seen lower resolution projectors along side higher (SVGA vs. XGA) on the same setup. SDE is less apparent. BUT it sure isn't gone. And I wouldn't argue that it doesn't still have an effect on PQ.

So I don't think we disagree. I m just saying that the spatial frequency of the grid is increasing, which makes it a bit less apparent. It may or may not make the issue some describe as a "haze" over the image with LCD worse though, in the situation you describe where interpixel gap remains constant.

So I am not saying the picture is unconditionally improved by going from 720 or 768 to 1080, but it does make SDE less apparent.

BB
Well, according to Epson's press release regarding the D5 720p panels, they managed to close in the gaps to improve the fill rate by 20%. Combined this with the 1080p resolution, you have a good combo. Combine THAT with Panny's SmoothScreen technology, you have a VERY interesting combo. :D

Man. This baby is going to be expensive. Anyone remember how long it took the LCD 720p's to come down to today's prices of less than $3000 USD?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
So you guys are now telling me to sit with my 70/20 for another year?

BTW, just for the mood. I got a new desktop with a big LCD screen, and discovered "Tabatha's Secret" (Rob Thomas' first earlier group), so I'm rocking out with a glass of fine tequila. Makes it kind of hard to type. Watched the Astros kick butt last night in HD. Watch G.Bush senior sitting to the right of the batters all evening. Who's the cute babe he took to the game? Daughter-in-law? I actually had tickets and gave them to my partner. My son watched the game with me and we were screaming.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I want to know what those 1080P chips are going for, comparitively, in batch buys. Are we really suppose to believe they are 10X or more expensive than the 720P?

Also, if there is a 1080 D4, could this be possible that a D4/1080P in cheap-form to combine with D5/1080P in high-end form?

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFerret
Are we really suppose to believe they are 10X or more expensive than the 720P?
How do you figure 10X? If you think a projector price of 10X indicates that one component is 10X the price, then I think you are way oversimplifying things. For one thing, I would expect volumes to be more than 10X higher for $2.5k projectors than $25k projectors and there are a lot of other factors also. I would also be interested in hearing what these 1080p panels go for.

--Darin

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Not figuring anything. I just threw the figure out there because I had nothing to go by, but looking at the $25K for a Fujitsu 1080P LCD compared to a $3.5K 720P just formed the 'wild' notion I had. :)

I agree that production number would be grossly different, but then again a lot fewer people )take AVSers for instance) can afford a $25K projector compared to a $5K projector (or $2.5K). If the Epson D4/1080P is in that Fujitsu then I would definitely has a pause for the 'more money then sense' shopper.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
OK, now I'm confused. I thought there would be two D5s, one 720P, one 1080P. The 720P is supposedly out now in prototype quantities. Both would offer the improved fill factor, CR and response time. Is this incorrect?

Reading the above, it sure looks like the Fujitsu is using 1080P D5s, doesn't it?

Dan

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Dan, in the picture Tryg posted isn't there a 720P D5 panel that is third from the right-hand side?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Well, I thought so. I understood it was the one available now in prototype quantities, but apparently the 1080P one must also be available as well.

You know, Jason't prediction that CES is going to be anti-climatic to Cedia may be proven wrong. If both these chips are available to designers now, I can't believe they won't be showing projectors at CES. Hope, hope! :)

Dan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.