AVS Forum banner

3041 - 3060 of 4908 Posts

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
I am a new owner of an Epson LS10000 for about a month now and wanted to post my thoughts on it so far. Just for background, I have a dedicated light controlled room that is about 20 x 20. I am no expert on Home Theaters and normally research stuff for quite a while before I buy, so please take my opinions as my own. :)

We recently moved into a new home and I had a dedicated HT built into it. The room is light controlled with no windows. My old HT consisted of an VPL-VW50 (Sony Pearl) and I was looking for an upgrade. I have been following the Epson and JVC projectors for a while now and have been trying to decide between the two. I finally decided on the Epson because of the fairly good reviews and I did not want to buy bulbs anymore. I purchased it from a local installer and got a very good price for it.

The day came for the install and I was quite impressed with it just out of the box. It is much bigger than my old Sony. While the projector was being installed, I also had them install a new EPV Ambient Light Rejecting Screen (135 inches). After working on the install for most of the day, I came up to see how the configuration was going. When I walked in, he had Star Wars on the screen and it look great! The problem started a few minutes after that. The focus on the projector would automatically change and make the picture blurry. The installer would fix it and a few minutes it would go blurry again. He stayed up there for an hour on the phone with Epson and they could not figure out why it was doing this.

After another hour, the installer told me that he would leave the projector here and that a new one was coming in two days and he would replace it then. I played with the projector for a few days and while the issue got fewer and farther between blurry phases, it was still doing it. The installer showed up with the new projector (box was sealed) and had it changed out in less than an hour. I came up and was very impressed so far with the picture. After about an hour after the installer left, I started to hear a loud noise from the projector. It sounded like the fan was hitting something inside. I tried to remove the filter and look, but the fan is well inside the projector. I took a video and sent it to the installer and he about died. LOL. He came straight over to look and sure enough, it was making the noise.

The installer called his Epson rep and after a few minutes, he came back and said that he has never seen one fail before much less two of them. He said that the Epson rep would be out to my house tomorrow with a brand new projector and would do a calibration for me to make up for the problems. The next day he arrived and apologized for the issues. He verified the issue with the 2nd projector and swapped them out. He then spent the next hour doing an initial calibration on the projector. It was not a full ISF calibration, but he did show me a few of the things he did that I would not have known to do.

I can say that I am very happy with the Epson and even happier about the support provided. I could have switched to a different projector during these failures, but Epson kept me updated on the issue and worked to make me happy about purchasing the LS10000. We have already watched a lot of movies on it and could not be happier. I know it not a true 4K projector, but this should last me enough years to the point where true 4K projectors will be affordable. I hope at least that this helps others thinking about buying it.
From small to big projectors, I don't know of any other PJ company that takes care of it's customers like Epson. It's a goto brand for my customers.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Thanks Darell. So even up close to the projector with no sound in your room, you can't hear the Epson EH-LS10000? That would be impressive. :)
I guess if I get my ear right next to it I can hear a little air movement, but from my normal sitting position with the PJ 4' directly overhead, I can't hear it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can hear mine in ECO mode when sitting about 5 feet away. It's not a bother, as it's a low pitched hum, hardly noticeable. If I switch to NORMAL (UK medium) mode, it adds about 25% to the sound level, HIGH maybe another 25 to 30%.
The manual states it's a little louder in each mode with enhancement processing on.

·
Registered
29,675 Posts
Thank you guys for your answers! My unit is still more silent in ECO mode than the Sony HW65ES I am currently reviewing. :rolleyes:
But that is not comparing apples to apples. The Sony in low lamp is putting out more than twice as many lumens as the Epson in Eco. The 65ES in low lamp even puts out more calibrated lumens, than the Epson 10000 in mid lamp setting.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
But that is not comparing apples to apples. The Sony in low lamp is putting out more than twice as many lumens as the Epson in Eco. The 65ES in low lamp even puts out more calibrated lumens, than the Epson 10000 in mid lamp setting.
I compared an RS400 and RS500 to the LS10000 at the same time and in low lamp they too were putting out about twice as many lumens as the Epson in ECO and the JVCs were actually a tad less noisy which is extremely impressive when you factor in the lumen output. I didn't even realize this until someone else in the room mentioned how quite it was. Though, to be fair, all of these units are already very quiet. I just think the lumen to noise ratio is quite impressive on the Sony's and JVCs.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
THat was not the point of my comparison. The point was to say that the Epson EH-LS10000 unit I've got is maybe a tad more noisy than some other Epson EH-LS10000, but than even a pretty silent projector like the Sony HW65ES is still a bit more noisy.

Sony projector are known to be silent. Therefore the comparison. :) But I can remember that the HW50ES I had in the past was quite more silent. So Lumens are probably the reason for the HW65ES to be louder (that and a singing power supply).

;)

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
The problem started a few minutes after that. The focus on the projector would automatically change and make the picture blurry. The installer would fix it and a few minutes it would go blurry again. He stayed up there for an hour on the phone with Epson and they could not figure out why it was doing this.
Wish I could say that's an isolated defect but I saw the exact same thing on one of the three units I looked at. No amount of fiddling would produce a stable focus. Wonder if it's shipping damage or some kind of heat induced warping of the panels or optics. Is convergence good on your unit? That's another area that varied greatly between the units I saw.

·
Registered
29,675 Posts
THat was not the point of my comparison. The point was to say that the Epson EH-LS10000 unit I've got is maybe a tad more noisy than some other Epson EH-LS10000, but than even a pretty silent projector like the Sony HW65ES is still a bit more noisy.

Sony projector are known to be silent. Therefore the comparison. :) But I can remember that the HW50ES I had in the past was quite more silent. So Lumens are probably the reason for the HW65ES to be louder (that and a singing power supply).

;)
But that is misleading, since you are leading people to think that the Epson is quieter than a Sony. A lot of people have had the opportunity to hear Sony projectors, since many Best Buy stores have them. The Epson in Eco mode is only putting out something like 300/350 lumens. In other words, eco mode is pretty much unuseable for 98% of the people out there. About like saying the projector is silent in standby mode.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
But that is misleading, since you are leading people to think that the Epson is quieter than a Sony. A lot of people have had the opportunity to hear Sony projectors, since many Best Buy stores have them. The Epson in Eco mode is only putting out something like 300/350 lumens. In other words, eco mode is pretty much unuseable for 98% of the people out there. About like saying the projector is silent in standby mode.
I do not want to mislead anyone. Only share my own experiences.

My Epson EH-LS10000 puts out more than 600 Lumens in low power at zoom max. This is actually enough for many people since it lights up a 250cm 16/9 base screen without problem with over 16fL. :)

Many of the new Sony HW65ES have noise issues reported by many owners (power source). Not all, but many. Even with the noise issues, they are fairly silent projector. ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice story! Thank you! :) And nice service from Epson!

I also own the Epson EH-LS10000 since a few weeks and I am very happy with it. I knew what I was buying since I had an exemplar to review before that.

I am just a bit surprised that I do hear the projector even in ECO mode. With the previous one, I thought it was almost silent. It is almost like the fan bearing is a bit noisy on my own model...or just that I remember wrong.

To all LS10000 owners, can you hear the LS10000 on ECO mode? Only air noise, or also mechanical, or buzzing from laser?

What I really like in addition to the contrast in the motion handling. But also the sharpness is amazing. I am currently reviewing the Sony HW65ES and it really looks very soft in comparison. The difference is huge due to the much better optic of the LS10000.

Cheers,
Soulnight
I honestly cannot hear my projector at all even with it being completely quiet in the room. That is why I noticed the fan noise with the 2nd one. I am pretty happy with the level of noise from the LS10000 or the lack of noise.

·
Registered
29,675 Posts
I do not want to mislead anyone. Only share my own experiences.

My Epson EH-LS10000 puts out more than 600 Lumens in low power at zoom max. This is actually enough for many people since it lights up a 250cm 16/9 base screen without problem with over 16fL. :)

Many of the new Sony HW65ES have noise issues reported by many owners (power source). Not all, but many. Even with the noise issues, they are fairly silent projector. ;)
Yes, but with the Epson, low is not the economy setting, which is what you listed above. Economy only has about half the lumens of low. Epson has three lamp output settings, Economy, low and high.

·
Registered
29,675 Posts
I honestly cannot hear my projector at all even with it being completely quiet in the room. That is why I noticed the fan noise with the 2nd one. I am pretty happy with the level of noise from the LS10000 or the lack of noise.
I agree the LS10000 is not a noisy projector. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have spent the last couple of days working on darkening my HT by dressing the walls and ceiling in black cotton fabric, and I just finished it up tonight. I have to say the visual effect of only seeing the screen in your field of vision is simply spectacular. The image appears much brighter which means I can clamp down the iris some (in eco-mode), and the image also appears to have more contrast with an increased feeling of depth and dimensionality to it. Getting rid of room reflections little by little and seeing the effect it gave on screen after every work session was very motivating. :)

This has made me appreciate the dynamic contrast (laser modulation) of the LS10000 a lot more as well. This system, especially on the "fast" setting, is so much more fluid than the dynamic iris on my previous JVC RS400 was. I can't seem to find any scene that gives it trouble at all. What impresses me most, though, is how it can go from a very dark scene to blasting out a lot of light seemingly instantaneous. A perfect example of this would be the first episode of Lost season two, which I started yesterday, in the scene where Kate rappels down the hatch for the first time. It's a really dark scene, but there is a moment in the middle of it where her flashlight sweeps across the lens, and it felt almost blinding - just like it should. The same goes for all the other darker scenes in the jungle, where whenever a torch entered the frame it really lit up the screen with the same impressive transition from dark to bright. It's as if the system reads a few frames ahead in order to react to the change in time? It felt completely seamless. Man, this thing keeps impressing me with the picture it can deliver!

By the way, how does the laser modulation work exactly? Does it simply control the light output of the laser using the current setting as maximum headroom, which in my case would be eco-mode? I understand it's all electronically controlled without any physically moving parts? This is all kind of interesting with regards to HDR and how laser, with its ability to rapidly control light output through modulation, seems like it could be a match made in heaven for its implementation with projectors going forward.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

Yes, but with the Epson, low is not the economy setting, which is what you listed above. Economy only has about half the lumens of low. Epson has three lamp output settings, Economy, low and high.
Epson's laser modes are Eco, Medium, and High. Per Soulnight's review of the LS10000 they measured 816 rec709 calibrated lumens at medium power and reported 1.4x reduction in lumens for Eco mode ~= 582 lumens.

·
Registered
29,675 Posts
Epson's laser modes are Eco, Medium, and High. Per Soulnight's review of the LS10000 they measured 816 rec709 calibrated lumens at medium power and reported 1.4x reduction in lumens for Eco mode ~= 582 lumens.
I believe his numbers were higher than what some others reported, but regardless, thanks for helping me make my point. Even using the numbers you reported, eco mode on the Epson is several hundred lumens less than low lamp on the Sony.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hello Mike Garrett, tolling the bell once again I see:rolleyes: For what its worth, I am on Eco mode with the iris fully open, now fully calibrated primaries and secondaries on a 120" screen diagonal and I am getting around 14 footlamberts which is easily bright enough with excellent shadow detail. And the projector, positioned on a shelf from behind the sofa is murmur quite. After my Sim2 it could be regarded as a stealth projector.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Hello Mike Garrett, tolling the bell once again I see:rolleyes: For what its worth, I am on Eco mode with the iris fully open, now fully calibrated primaries and secondaries on a 120" screen diagonal and I am getting around 14 footlamberts which is easily bright enough with excellent shadow detail. And the projector, positioned on a shelf from behind the sofa is murmur quite. After my Sim2 it could be regarded as a stealth projector.
You're getting 600 lumens in ECO mode?

·
Registered
29,675 Posts
Hello Mike Garrett, tolling the bell once again I see:roll eyes: For what its worth, I am on Eco mode with the iris fully open, now fully calibrated primaries and secondaries on a 120" screen diagonal and I am getting around 14 footlamberts which is easily bright enough with excellent shadow detail. And the projector, positioned on a shelf from behind the sofa is murmur quite. After my Sim2 it could be regarded as a stealth projector.
How am I tolling the bell? I just took issue with saying the Epson in Eco is quieter than the Sony in low. I would have said something if the post had stated the same thing, no matter what projectors were listed. You need to at least use the same mode, low to low and even then, it is only fair, if both projectors are putting out about the same lumens. It was not an apples to apples comparison. I already stated that the Epson is not a noisy projector. That would about be like me saying the Sony VW5000ES in high lamp is noisier than the LS10000 in low lamp. Yes it is, but what is the point, since we are not talking the same lumen output.

3041 - 3060 of 4908 Posts