AVS Forum banner

3261 - 3280 of 4908 Posts

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Yup, the UB900 can, so far the Linker can't officially, that feature is listed as being in progress. So I'd say the Linker "probably" will be able to, but I wouldn't buy one today if you need it.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
lots are considering it as UHD player with a bonus console. They are in for a surprise audio wise.
They will have everything in the next Scorpion console late 2017. This is pretty much a re-fresh and I've read it doesn't have the proper chipset to do bitstream..... If anyone buys it expecting it to have every bell and whistle, well, thats on them for not looking it up.

I personally will be using it as a stopgap until the oppo comes out. The PS4 Neo thats coming out near xmas could get everything though since theyre will be some new hardware introduced. Theres no info about it yet though.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I also have a Linker on order, and was wondering is there a known advantage that the Panasonic UBD player has over the currently available Samsung--specifically as it would apply to the usecase of Epson LS10000 owners who wish to maximize PQ by using Linker to downscale the signal?

As I understand it, if the Linker is going to take full 4K/BT2020/HDR output from the player and downscale it anyway to something the LS10K can consume, what difference would the player make (assuming both Panasonic & Samsung output reference 4K/BT2020/HDR video)?

Just trying to clarify for my own understanding.
The Samsung player doesn't have the flexibility to individually enable each UHD feature (4K, HDR, WCG) on its HDMI outputs. You either get all of them, or none of them. The Panny UB900 at least has the ability to disable (remap) HDR and output 4K+SDR+WCG based on EDID inputs from the display. We need the Linker to output the correct EDID codes to the player and to down-convert 4K to 1080P. In order to get the LS10000 to display 10-bit WCG (bt2020), it must receive 1080p+SDR+bt2020. The only other UHD option for the LS10000 is 4K+SDR+rec709.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Panny UB900 at least has the ability to disable (remap) HDR and output 4K+SDR+WCG based on EDID inputs from the display.
Thank you, this was the bit that I was missing. I didn't realize the Panasonic had the capability of disabling HDR and still sending WCG. Having owned and returned the Samsung after a 30-day trial period, I didn't feel the 4K resolution bump alone was enough for me to justify keeping it (although the resolution improvement was noticeable at my viewing distance, I encountered some other minor problems with it). I'm intrigued by the 1080p/WCG 10-bit prospect, so will eagerly follow this thread to hear of other folks impressions.

·
Registered
29,338 Posts
Sounds like it could be fixed in software. Perhaps they want to sell a big number of units first to negotiate a for them better license cost.
From what I have read, it is a lot bigger issue than just a software change.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
It's probably architectural, the whole Xbox OS is designed from the ground up so that multiple things can be going on at the same time. The Xbox One OS is a hypervisor with separate VMs for the main menu/simple apps and for games. It's designed so that you can get audio from both at the same time. Bitstreaming would break that whole philosophy. And I'm guessing 99.9% of their market couldn't care less about bitstreaming, heck they probably don't have it connected to anything better than a soundbar.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
It's probably architectural, the whole Xbox OS is designed from the ground up so that multiple things can be going on at the same time. The Xbox One OS is a hypervisor with separate VMs for the main menu/simple apps and for games. It's designed so that you can get audio from both at the same time. Bitstreaming would break that whole philosophy. And I'm guessing 99.9% of their market couldn't care less about bitstreaming, heck they probably don't have it connected to anything better than a soundbar.
Worth mentioning, the PCM output on the XBOX ONE is spectacular. It does a fine job of encoding PCM, whether for Blu-ray, MP3, CD, etc. It is as good as any top notch Blu-ray player in this regard.

And re: bitstreaming, even myself I have a somewhat expensive home theater and this is a feature I don't care about. Why? Firstly standard Blu-ray Discs are really designed to be PCM-decoded in the player. You miss out on menu sounds and sometimes discs have glitches with bitstreaming. Second, Atmos would require so much retooling of my room's surround system it is totally not worth it. I have multiple seating rows and would need to do at least 13.2 or better yet 15.2 according to Dolby's recommendations for this, and worse yet there is ductwork in the ceiling that will likely rattle if I put speakers up there.

I realize you need bitstreaming for ATMOS, I just don't feel ATMOS is worth the cost or hassle. I already am using DPLIIx 9.2 (7.2 + front heights) and this sounds fantastic. As poster above mentioned, I imagine 99.999% of Xbox buyers have no intention of going beyond 7.1 (or even 5.1).

·
Registered
29,338 Posts
Worth mentioning, the PCM output on the XBOX ONE is spectacular. It does a fine job of encoding PCM, whether for Blu-ray, MP3, CD, etc. It is as good as any top notch Blu-ray player in this regard.

And re: bitstreaming, even myself I have a somewhat expensive home theater and this is a feature I don't care about. Why? Firstly standard Blu-ray Discs are really designed to be PCM-decoded in the player. You miss out on menu sounds and sometimes discs have glitches with bitstreaming. Second, Atmos would require so much retooling of my room's surround system it is totally not worth it. I have multiple seating rows and would need to do at least 13.2 or better yet 15.2 according to Dolby's recommendations for this, and worse yet there is ductwork in the ceiling that will likely rattle if I put speakers up there.

I realize you need bitstreaming for ATMOS, I just don't feel ATMOS is worth the cost or hassle. I already am using DPLIIx 9.2 (7.2 + front heights) and this sounds fantastic. As poster above mentioned, I imagine 99.999% of Xbox buyers have no intention of going beyond 7.1 (or even 5.1).
I had a 7.1 system. I went to a 5.1.4 system (Atmos) and like it much better. XBOX ONE is pretty much eliminated for any Atmos user and probably for any user that is considering going to Atmos.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I'm confused why outputting bitstream is so difficult. I was under the impression bitstream was the native format encoded on the disk for compression purposes. Even if the console does fancy PCM mixing from multiple sources during gaming, why can't all that be bypassed when watching movies?

·
Registered
13,310 Posts

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
It should be, PCM output should be the same from every device.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I'm confused why outputting bitstream is so difficult. I was under the impression bitstream was the native format encoded on the disk for compression purposes. Even if the console does fancy PCM mixing from multiple sources during gaming, why can't all that be bypassed when watching movies?
Yep its beyond me too why it is so hard to implement especially in a highly capable console.

3261 - 3280 of 4908 Posts