AVS Forum banner

Epson 4K (enhancement) e-shift laser projector....!!!!!!

374K views 5K replies 291 participants last post by  DavidHir 
#1 · (Edited)
Got news of a 4K enhancement laser projector for cedia!

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
The one thing I do not like about LASER is the short lifespan. 20K hours slogan becomes 6K at best, upon closer inspection of the spec. sheet, and drop-off curve, this was true of the BenQ, the Panasonic a year later, and every Diode LASER (/phosphor) projector since. Only in the big boys toys with output management do we see better lifetime/outputmantainance, due to overcapacity.

#24 ·
If Epson is advertising a "laser" projector i wonder if it means another iteration of that combo of red LED and a blue laser split into two sources by a dichroic mirror with one source illuminating a phosphor spinning wheel that provides the green primary color.
If that is the illumination source employed by Epson i don't really see it as being "market disruptive" nor fulfilling the premise that so many videophiles have been waiting for so long : projectors with R/G/B laser light sources spec'd to last at least 30.000 hours and provide at least 1.000 lumens of onscreen brightness.

#29 ·
Do you think the new Epson is likely to support 3D? These days I would think every new mid to high end projector would, but a few years ago I recall that they were not planning 3D support in the reflective technology pj (which never made it to market I think) that I think this one may be based around.

#32 ·
Sure JVC has true 4k chip projectors, only it uses those with e-shift to do 8K, the true 8K projectors and chips seemed to haven abandoned almost two years ago. There's still that OEM one, still at 180K? One could get two Christies and probably Barco's for that.

#36 ·
^^^

thread title updated

after a few minutes OP cannot change the thread title, you need to ask a mod for help

#48 · (Edited)
^^^

thread title updated

after a few minutes OP cannot change the thread title, you need to ask a mod for help
Mark, the forum says there is a reply posted five minutes after the opening post, many forums don't allow post editing after a reply has been posted. Perhaps that is also the case with the new AVS Forum software set-up.

Edit: nope can still edit my post;-).

#45 ·
Its all about advertising and salesmanship. The compromises we made were necessary to lower the cost to you and were determined to have only a minimal teeny tiny impact on PQ. Putting his arm around you. look at that image my friend. Its amazing. Its unbelievable. Their 4K doesn't look any better to your eyes when scaling HD and with OUR direct UHD in, see that REDRAY feed it, its pretty damn close without having to use more expensive chips and lenses.

#46 · (Edited)
From my experience differences are there but often very subtle. Are you willing to pay $25,000 for a projector you consider only slightly better than the $12,000 model, especially when you know in a year or two both will be considered obsolete. When you want to upgrade in a few years you'll be happier eating $6,000 than $12,500 on the used market. The new HT 4K laser (fake or real) projectors hitting the market place over the next 18 months or so are going to destabilize the used market -- depreciation has always been a problem but now I believe it's going to be a very bitter pill to swallow. It's really all about perception and marketing determines perception.

#50 · (Edited)
Zombie when I looked some time ago for that old BenQ brochure online and could not find it. I got a printed version at the ISE show, when the projector with BenQ's own hybrid LASER/Phosphor engine was launched. 20K hours, but it was an short throw WXGA projector aimed at the classroom market,i.e. light rooms that need all the lumens, so at the 2000 initial lumens setting, not the 1000 initial lumens that the marketing people say should last 20K hours. But that is to 50% output, i.e. 500 lumens if one is lucky. Take 10K hours and follow the curve it 70% was around 6K hours if I remember correctly, i.e. replace the unit at least every three years, perhaps quicker. The Panasonic 3500 initial lumens engine in the rz-370/470 and wxga models curve was still online a few weeks ago.

LED has 5% or 10% drop-off after 20K hours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.