AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can get the Epson 5025ub for 1600$ here in Canada.
I'm currently using an Optoma Hd25. I like the ansi/fine detail contrast that dlp provides, but whenever there is a darker scene with minimal details the weakness of the Hd25 is clear.

I know a lot of folks upgrade to something like the Jvc's and end up switching back because they would rather have the fine detail contrast of dlp vs the immense overall contrast of the Lcos (particularly Jvc).

So how do the Lcd projectors stack up for fine detail contrast/pop? Are they somewhere in between the dlp's and Lcos, or are they closer to Lcos?

I'm using a cinegray 1.1 gain screen in a darkened room, so I will be able to see the superior overall contrast of the Epson, but pop/fine detail differences are all the more evident on a gray screen as well.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also, is dark to light pixel transitioning a problem with these lcds? I play a lot of dark high contrast games (eg. Splinter Cell) and I've owned some lcd flat panels in the past (mainly va) that had issues with pixel transitions and ghosting.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feel free to jump in guys, I don't mind talking to people other than myself ;)

The other side of the coin is input lag. From what I have read, the Epson 5025ub/5030ub have 37 ms of input lag, while the Optoma Hd25 only has 17ms.

I previously did my gaming on a Samsung f5300 plasma, and didn't really have an issue with the supposedly 70 ms of lag outside of game mode. Perhaps there's no going back though :p

My plasma has been out of commission until the new screws for the base arrive. Once they are here in a few days I'll do a comparison between the Optoma and Samsung, and see if I can live with lag that's presumable somewhere in between.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't own a 5025UB, but there's a lot of discussion about it in its owners thread. Have you read that yet?
I've taken a look through yes, as well as reading a few reviews. Didn't find anything specific to ansi contrast vs dlp or ghosting, still reading though.

The last Va lcd panel I owned was a Samsung 2008-2010 era, it was also a budget model. It performed horribly for pixel transitions, most noticeable with the loss of details in darker scenes.
I've also seen this with a very high contrast benq va lcd monitor from around the same time period.

I've been out of the lcd crowd for years now, haven't owned anything other than plasmas and dlps. I'm hoping things have improved for lcd panel technology? Has va been replaced by something with equally high contrast and faster pixel switching?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Any recommendations between new Sony 40, this epson, or a gently used b stock jvc rs4910
The Jvc has the highest native contrast of the bunch without a dynamic iris (about 5-10 times higher native contrast depending on the Jvc model), it also has very high input lag (100ms+, unsuitable for gaming). Generally average 3d performance.

The Sony uses the same base technology as the Jvc (lcos) but it does not have the specific technology that offers immense native contrast. The Sony offers the lowest input lag of the 3. Not sure how 3d on the Sony stacks up against the Jvc, but many reviewers say the Epson's have better 3d performance.

Native contrast performance between the Sony and Epson is very similar. Although the Sony has a slight edge for native contrast, dynamic contrast is better on the Epson due to a stronger dynamic iris, however this have an effect on shadow detail in dark scenes.
Input lag is average, but I believe it falls closer to the Sony rather than the Jvc.
Said to have the best 3d performance of the 3 but I am curious how well it stacks up against dlp, as dlp is said to be the industry standard for 3d performance.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've owned the 5020ub for a few years now. I purchased it new for 2600.00. I use in a dark room with no ambient light (was not the case when I purchased it). I use a 100" cinewhite screen. I also own a 58" Panasonic plasma.

I do most my gaming now on my pc or on the plasma, movies on the Epson. input lag in single player games is not bad. however, when you switch to "fast" mode, the image isn't as sharp as "fine" but the lag is better. I've had a lot of fun playing games like Madden, Destiny, Assassin's Creed, Alien, Witcher, Dark Souls on it.

When doing anything remotely competitive - Destiny or BF4 - input lag is not acceptable.

I've never had any issues with pixel transition that you mention. some games look nicer with the frame interpolation feature turned on high. motion is not bad, but it is not near your plasma either.

Having never owned another projector, it's difficult for me to give you any valid comparisons. I will say, at 1600.00, it's a hell of a projector. Great blacks and contrast. I've had the money to upgrade for some time, but still struggle to find a projector that I can justify the move to given the value of the unit. Sony has the panel degradation, the low end JVC has no HDR, etc... hoping something in the next iterations makes a jump worth it.

The other projector that has great value is the Panasonic 8000 but it's also getting long in the tooth. you get motorized lens control and memory (which would be very nice), but blacks are not as good and if you own a plasma - it will bother you.

hope some of that helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not a gamer at all and this will be used mainly for blu Rays and directv, the room is also totally light controlled, no windows, size is 14 feet wide x 36 feet long 7' 7" ceiling..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts