AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently upgraded my home theater projector from a Penny AE-700U to an Epson 5030UB. all I can say is WOW. I thought the AE-700 had a good picture but the 5030UB blows it away in all respects.

But I have a question about the cooling fan.
On the AE-700 when I shut down the unit the lamp would go off and the fan would run for several minutes until the lamp cooled down then shut down completely.
On the 5030UB that doesn't seem to happen. When I put the unit in standby mode the lens shutters close, the power light stays on for a second or two then shuts off. However if I shut down the source, in the case my DVD player, the unit says on, including the lamp, for a fairly long time then shuts down.

I concerned the lamp not cooling down properly or the fan is not running and the lamp will have a shorter life.
If I put my hand in front of the grill I can feel warn air movement but very little. I could hear the fan on the AE-700 but not on the 5030UB.
Is this normal or do I have a fan issue?
Is there a proper way to shut the unit down or do I just put it in standby mode?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I've recently upgraded my home theater projector from a Penny AE-700U to an Epson 5030UB. all I can say is WOW. I thought the AE-700 had a good picture but the 5030UB blows it away in all respects.

But I have a question about the cooling fan.
On the AE-700 when I shut down the unit the lamp would go off and the fan would run for several minutes until the lamp cooled down then shut down completely.
On the 5030UB that doesn't seem to happen. When I put the unit in standby mode the lens shutters close, the power light stays on for a second or two then shuts off. However if I shut down the source, in the case my DVD player, the unit says on, including the lamp, for a fairly long time then shuts down.

I concerned the lamp not cooling down properly or the fan is not running and the lamp will have a shorter life.
If I put my hand in front of the grill I can feel warn air movement but very little. I could hear the fan on the AE-700 but not on the 5030UB.
Is this normal or do I have a fan issue?
Is there a proper way to shut the unit down or do I just put it in standby mode?

It's perfectly normal. I was concerned like you when I got an Epson 3010 and noticed what you notice. My previous projector went through a cooling cycle like you're expecting. The Epsons do not. Well at least I know the 3010 & my 5030ub do not. Yours is a pretty common concern.
If you should turn the pj off then turn it back on before it has cooled sufficiently (BAD IDEA!) then it'll turn the fan on very high to cool it off before displaying a picture.
Hope this helps. Enjoy your 5030, I LOVE mine!

Ed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ed,

Thanks, you've put my mind at ease.
Now I can sit back and enjoy a fantastic projector.

Reactions: old corps
1 - 3 of 3 Posts