AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post in this forum and I'm hoping if one of the expert members in this forum could give me some recommendations on which projector I should invest my money in.

I have done some research for the past two weeks on different projector models and brands and I reached a conclusion to choose between the Epson 5030UB which has very good reviews and the new Sony VPL HW45ES.

I'm debating between the two although I'm leaning more to the EPSON, but there is one thing that is concerning me about the 5030UB which is the fan noise.

Many people complains that the 5030UB has a loud fan noise when it's on High or playing a 3D movie and it sound literally like an hairdryer. Supposedly the Sony HW45ES doesn't have that issue and it also has a longer lamp life compared to the EPSON.

My heart tells me to go with the EPSON but my head says go with Sony. I really would like to get your feedback on this. I'm sure there are people on here who can help me to make the right decision.

Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Here is the rational for me picking the 5030
I'm no expert but I also did agonizing research. Many have said you can't go wrong with either, but I was comparing to the 40ES

I do not have it installed yet but did have it running on two occasions and @Fattykidd was so impressed he got one for his 138" screen
He could speak better to the noise level, but the fan being like a hair dryer is an exaggeration.

·
Registered
18,650 Posts
Hello, this is my first post in this forum and I'm hoping if one of the expert members in this forum could give me some recommendations on which projector I should invest my money in.

I have done some research for the past two weeks on different projector models and brands and I reached a conclusion to choose between the Epson 5030UB which has very good reviews and the new Sony VPL HW45ES.

I'm debating between the two although I'm leaning more to the EPSON, but there is one thing that is concerning me about the 5030UB which is the fan noise.

Many people complains that the 5030UB has a loud fan noise when it's on High or playing a 3D movie and it sound literally like an hairdryer. Supposedly the Sony HW45ES doesn't have that issue and it also has a longer lamp life compared to the EPSON.

My heart tells me to go with the EPSON but my head says go with Sony. I really would like to get your feedback on this. I'm sure there are people on here who can help me to make the right decision.

Thank you all in advance.
Just to muddy the water, you could also wait for the new Epson 5040, if they are in your budget - http://hometheaterreview.com/epson-...6040ub-projector-with-4k-enhancement-and-hdr/

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
The Epson 5030 is 3 years old,
The new unit is the 5040 with 4K e-shift and HDR capability.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2491081-epson-5040ub-2999-e-shift-4k-hdr10-wcg-powered-lens-position-memory.html

I've had an Epson 1080UB for the last 8 years
Flawless performance and over 13k hours on it on my 5th bulb,
Lots of awesome screen shots in my build page (link in my sig).

My next projector will likely be a JVC or new Epson 5040/6040
Just waiting on some reviews and comparisons.

I run my 7.4.4 Atmos system at reference levels,
85 dB with 100 dB peaks and have never noticed my pj's fan noise
Even though it's just 3 feet from my ears.

:)

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Oh my. That 5040 looks like a winner.

I've never heard my fan in my pj under normal watching conditions. If I'm sitting on the couch with no media playing I can hear the iris and fan but who turns their projector on to watch the screen saver..lol.
I've only watched a couple 3d movies and it's a wonderful quality picture and I didn't notice the fan then either.. Who in their right mind would watch in torch mode on this thing anyway, it has more than enough light output to fill my 138" silver over black spandex screen on low power thx cinema mode.
I have no experience with Sony but the Epson is quite incredible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you

Thank you all for you kind reply and feedback. I didn't know there was a new model coming for the EPSON, in fact, I was thinking about it the other day, and I was asking myself, it's been almost 3 years since EPSON released their 5030UB, isn't time to come up with a newer upgraded model? Sure enough they read my mind lol

In that case I guess I will just wait till August. Based on what I have read, the 5040UB can handle 4K and HDR. I think it's worth the wait and the price, the suggested price is $2,999. About $600 more than the 5030UB for all the nice upgrades you get. Now I have to be patient about it, meanwhile I have to make more decisions on my sound system and screen projectors. :)

Again, thank you all for stopping by and spending the time to read my thread. Interestingly, I didn't hear from the Sony fans. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the 5030UB too. I read, and can confirm the fan is louder when hung upside down. The projector is near my head and I can hear the fan, and think, wow that is a little loud, but as soon as any content is playing, I don't notice it.

That being said, I have seen people build a shelf for it, preventing the need to flip it over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got the 6030 and very happy. The new 6040 is just announced and reps from Epson say late October before they are available to buy. Smoking deal on Epson projectors to make room for newer models. I got it for $2000 under what the new one is mrsp. I figure by the time more content is available in 4k the prices would drop. I watched the same Bluray on the Epson 10000 and Epson 6030 and beside blacks being slightly less it was hard to tell the difference. 3 more years of Bluray quality is ok with me. I use mine as a daily TV. I do not have it in a dedicated room but blackout curtains help tons. The 6030 comes with spare bulb and ceiling mount in the box.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got the 6030 and very happy. The new 6040 is just announced and reps from Epson say late October before they are available to buy. Smoking deal on Epson projectors to make room for newer models. I got it for $2000 under what the new one is mrsp. I figure by the time more content is available in 4k the prices would drop. I watched the same Bluray on the Epson 10000 and Epson 6030 and beside blacks being slightly less it was hard to tell the difference. 3 more years of Bluray quality is ok with me. I use mine as a daily TV. I do not have it in a dedicated room but blackout curtains help tons. The 6030 comes with spare bulb and ceiling mount in the box.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I have had the Epson 5030 for nearly a year and I love it. If you have a light controlled room you will never, ever need to use the projector on bright mode, and in normal mode you will never hear it running it is so quiet. Plus the bulb will last a LONG time in normal mode.

In extra bright mode, the fan is loud, but not hair dryer loud. I never use it unless watching 3D, which is very rare for me.

If you have a light controlled room and don't care about 3D viewing, the loud fan will not be an issue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thank you all for you kind reply and feedback. I didn't know there was a new model coming for the EPSON, in fact, I was thinking about it the other day, and I was asking myself, it's been almost 3 years since EPSON released their 5030UB, isn't time to come up with a newer upgraded model? Sure enough they read my mind lol

In that case I guess I will just wait till August. Based on what I have read, the 5040UB can handle 4K and HDR. I think it's worth the wait and the price, the suggested price is $2,999. About $600 more than the 5030UB for all the nice upgrades you get. Now I have to be patient about it, meanwhile I have to make more decisions on my sound system and screen projectors. :)

Again, thank you all for stopping by and spending the time to read my thread. Interestingly, I didn't hear from the Sony fans. :)

Thanks
What projector did you end up getting? I am in the market for a new one. My Epson Home Cinema 3000 has a defect and am looking for an upgrade. I was looking into the Sony 45ES or Epson 5030 (both are on sale now-a-days and a definite upgrade from my current projector).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts