AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned this projector for roughly over 2 years, using it only with an NVIDIA Shield and XBox One through an AV receiver. No changes to the settings of any device. Over the past 6 months, the projector will simply shut off completely. I'll be watching a show on the Shield, or playing a game on the Xbox. The Shield and Xbox are still sending a signal and still powered on, and I'll still get audio through my receiver. It's very weird. No error messages from the projector, no abnormal lights. I'm able to power it up immediately like nothing happened. No unusual fan noise. The bulb has 1100 hours on it, and I've cleaned the filter, which isn't dirty. I've checked the power cord to ensure it's seated properly.

I called Epson Technical Support, and they claim it may be the Sleep Mode of the Shield or Xbox, but that's hard to believe since I've been using the units for over a year without problems before, and no changes to the settings. I strongly believe it's the projector unit.

It's happened about 2-3 times now, randomly, maybe about 2-3 hours into the projector being on, over the past 6 months.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have an Epson 5040 and it started doing the same thing to me a few months ago. I think I turned off something to do with HDMI link that would shut the projector off when receiving an idle signal even though I was watching a Blu Ray when it started happening. I am at work so I cant check the exact setting or menu but changing the setting fixed the issue for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have an Epson 5040 and it started doing the same thing to me a few months ago. I think I turned off something to do with HDMI link that would shut the projector off when receiving an idle signal even though I was watching a Blu Ray when it started happening. I am at work so I cant check the exact setting or menu but changing the setting fixed the issue for me.
I also have an Epson 5040 that just started doing this. I looked through the manual, there was stuff on HDMI Link, but nothing seemed to indicate that it would prevent the projector from turning off if it got an idle signal. The manual is pretty sparse on details. It seems to me that the HDMI Link stuff is more to control stuff via HDMI from the projector based upon turning the projector on or off.

buz

·
Registered
190 Posts
I also have an Epson 5040 that just started doing this. I looked through the manual, there was stuff on HDMI Link, but nothing seemed to indicate that it would prevent the projector from turning off if it got an idle signal. The manual is pretty sparse on details. It seems to me that the HDMI Link stuff is more to control stuff via HDMI from the projector based upon turning the projector on or off.

buz
It has been a few months since I changed the settings so I am not 100% sure on what I changed. All i know is that it no longer shuts off. I will look tonight and post what I changed. It should fix your problems and possibly the OP, since I imagine the 5030 menu is fairly similar.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
After looking through the manual, there is a HDMI Link option in settings. I think I'll try turning this off and see if this fixes the issue. Let me know if this sounds what like you did.

·
Registered
190 Posts
After looking through the manual, there is a HDMI Link option in settings. I think I'll try turning this off and see if this fixes the issue. Let me know if this sounds what like you did.
I checked and I do have HDMI Link turned off. If that doesnt do the trick there is also a sleep timer setting that you can turn off. Mine is set to off for the sleep timer as well. I am not sure if it set to off by default or if that is something I changed as well.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Make sure CEC (it's called by many different names but is the HDMI control link) is disabled in all the devices. A firmware update may have recently enabled it in one of the devices.

Reactions: Nitish1952

·
Registered
127 Posts
HDMI Link

Last night, I tried turning off HDMI Link on the projector, and that seemed to do the trick, the projector didn't turn off.

thanks for the info

buz

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked and I do have HDMI Link turned off. If that doesnt do the trick there is also a sleep timer setting that you can turn off. Mine is set to off for the sleep timer as well. I am not sure if it set to off by default or if that is something I changed as well.
Thanks for the recommendation. This was more helpful than Epson Technical Support! We'll see if this does the trick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I apologize for necromancing this thread, but I wanted to add some information here for other searchers in the future. I had a similar problem: my brand-new Epson Home Cinema 3100 was powering off randomly when I was using my attached gaming PC. It turns out, it was indeed the HDMI-CEC (called "HDMI Link") that was causing problems. Like the poster above, I also have an NVIDIA Shield (2019) and I suspect it sends out "go to sleep" CEC messages when it goes dormant. Once I turned off the "HDMI Link" on my projector, the powering-off problems ceased.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Been a while here... an Espon 5030UB renders me helpless... was working fine since February 2014 until I replaced my older faulty Denon for AVR-3600H over the weekend. Now for all the sources Kindle, PS3, Spectrum box, Apple the screen goes black randomly, hdmi 1 no signal flashes at the bottom for a quick sec, picture starts playing, goes black for a few more times then either it hangs at the last screen or in PS3/Kindle case brings it back to Home screen.

I did turn off HDMI Link after reading this thread and all its CEC variants on all the devices but still no game. Epson firmware is V100 as I have given up on installing t3111... it just doesn't work... got only windows 10 machines at my disposal right now.

I really don't want to upgrade as the Epson has been solid all these years with everything. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Been a while here... an Espon 5030UB renders me helpless... was working fine since February 2014 until I replaced my older faulty Denon for AVR-3600H over the weekend. Now for all the sources Kindle, PS3, Spectrum box, Apple the screen goes black randomly, hdmi 1 no signal flashes at the bottom for a quick sec, picture starts playing, goes black for a few more times then either it hangs at the last screen or in PS3/Kindle case brings it back to Home screen.

I did turn off HDMI Link after reading this thread and all its CEC variants on all the devices but still no game. Epson firmware is V100 as I have given up on installing t3111... it just doesn't work... got only windows 10 machines at my disposal right now.

I really don't want to upgrade as the Epson has been solid all these years with everything. Any help would be appreciated.
Your experiencing HDMI hand shake issue and is a major headache for all of us. The first suspect is your HDMI cables. Its possible the faster HDMI chips in the new AVR don't sit happy with your current cables. It's frustrating as the HDMI protocol sucks and issues get worse the higher the bandwidth we try to push through them. Make sure all your cables are "600mhz certified" and is a spec many manufactures don't even state in their spec sheets. Regardless it is an issue somewhere in the HDMI chain and reseating all your cables is the first step.

Reactions: Nitish1952

·
Registered
477 Posts
What was the issue with the Denon? may have done something to your Epson?

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your experiencing HDMI hand shake issue and is a major headache for all of us. The first suspect is your HDMI cables. Its possible the faster HDMI chips in the new AVR don't sit happy with your current cables. It's frustrating as the HDMI protocol sucks and issues get worse the higher the bandwidth we try to push through them. Make sure all your cables are "600mhz certified" and is a spec many manufactures don't even state in their spec sheets. Regardless it is an issue somewhere in the HDMI chain and reseating all your cables is the first step.
Thanks @rekbones I'm going to go by the troubleshooting tree with cables first but am curious tho as the same cables feed into my Sony X850F and monitor 2 takes it to the 5030 via a 50 ft Cetech highspeed HDMI... I know it may be laughable but I picked up those in 2014 during a remodelling and has worked amazing until I plugged in the new Denon. Sony plays everything while Epson goes black randomly as if it has lost signal with any of the sources via the Denon XR3600H and just pukes right out at anything from the Xbox OneS with "HDCP2.2 non compliant" message (which is understandable)... Here's what I'm going to do... hookup a Dell u2715hc to the HDMI feeding into 5030... if that works I won't upgrade to the fibre optic 50 footer yet. If it fails then am wondering if any of the HDFury goodies can set me up for a little until I upgrade to either a JVC or Epson? I don't have any 4k viewing except Netflix as the media library and bluray collection is all SDR anyways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks @tibimakai can't say for sure until I run the Dell and see what's happening. Put a little routine up there. Will test this theory out today (hopefully) and see where to go from it... would love to get any feedback on HDfury gadgets if I can live with SDR and be able to still watch until I really upgrade that'd be awesome.

·
Registered
43 Posts
okay... so the cable comes out fine I guess it's enough juice to play all sources via the Denon... even Xbox OneS worked on the Dell... The problem used to pop up about 10-15 mins into viewing on the 5030.

Questions: would any of the HDFury help me survive on 5030? which one would you recommend?

Thanks for the pointers.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
okay... so the cable comes out fine I guess it's enough juice to play all sources via the Denon... even Xbox OneS worked on the Dell... The problem used to pop up about 10-15 mins into viewing on the 5030.

Questions: would any of the HDFury help me survive on 5030? which one would you recommend?

Thanks for the pointers.
Just because the cable works with the Dell still doesn't eliminate the cable as the likely source of your issue. HDMI chips in projectors are weaker for some reason then most TV's and monitors. Replacing the cable is your best and cheapest solution. The same goes for new AVR's the faster chips are less tolerant of lesser quality cables.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.