Votes: 77 49.0%
  • No, my power supply has not failed

Votes: 80 51.0%
1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This poll is an attempt to find out what percentage of Epson 5040/6040 projectors have experienced the power supply failure extensively reported in the relevant unit thread.

Is *every* buyer of these PJs experiencing failure of the power supply? Or is just a small percentage? Or even a large percentage? It is useful to know since if it is, say, 10%, then 90% of us will be OK and probably won't experience the problem. 10% is still not acceptable of course, but it is difficult to tell in the main thread just how many owners are having problems.

Thanks for completing the poll.

If you wish, it would be useful to indicate in a post in this thread how old the PJ was when the failure occurred, the purchase date and/or how many hours the lamp had on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dear all,

I'm the owner of a former demo TW9300 (European model).
It has around 450hours on the lamp.
So far no power failure but I have experienced a green dot visible only on black/gray backgrounds (maybe a stuck pixel ?!? ) and the high fan on startup thing. That happened Yesterday :)
I have already contacted Epson and will return the unit pretty soon to have the green pixel fixed.

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
This is exactly what I was thinking about, Kbarnes701, a poll to get a better idea of lamp percentage failures. I purchased my Epson 6040 in March 2017. Didn't realize I've had this projector for almost a year, I hope I didn't jinx myself :nerd:...

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
103 Posts
6040 bought in August 2017. Approx 40 hours on it when it failed the week before Thanksgiving. I had no warnings or indications prior to it failing. Our replacement has around the same hours on it. To me, the replacement looks better on the screen and the remote seems much more responsive.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
If you wish, it might be useful to indicate in a post in this thread how old the PJ was when the failure occurred and/or how many hours the lamp had on it.
A purchase month and year would be great. That way we can see if there is a pattern.
I don't think the number of hours has any bearing, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quick question,

what if I answer no now, and tomorrow my projector failed. If I answer yes tomorrow, the no become a false answer and will squeeze the result toward the no answer.

I believe the poll would need an update button or something like that allows user to change their answer from no to yes. Unless it is a basic feature of the polling on this site.

Just my 2 cts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
This is a great idea but I wish it could have a way to indicate hours & length of ownership.:confused:
I indicated no power failure but I've only had it about 6 weeks and it has 200 hours on it. Most of the posts (all?) with the failure happen after the pj has been fine for a significant period of time--a number months at least.
Also, mine just started doing the high fan at start up. Something it never did before.:rolleyes:

Ed

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I had one go out after 125 hours

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27,254 Posts

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is a great idea but I wish it could have a way to indicate hours & length of ownership.:confused:
You're right Ed. Unfortunately the built-in poll doesn't allow for anything other than a tick or no tick option. I could create a proper survey elsewhere and link to it but how many would use it isn't clear. This AVS poll might give is some sort of idea how prevalent the failures are but, unfortunately, not when they are occurring.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quick question,

what if I answer no now, and tomorrow my projector failed. If I answer yes tomorrow, the no become a false answer and will squeeze the result toward the no answer.

I believe the poll would need an update button or something like that allows user to change their answer from no to yes. Unless it is a basic feature of the polling on this site.

Just my 2 cts
Very good point. Unfortunately the poll format on AVS doesn't allow for that. All it will do is give us a snapshot. I'll leave it up for now - ideally I;d like to see about 100 as a sample size. Currently the 'non-failures' are overwhelmingly in the lead at 14:3 but the sample size is far too small to give reliable indications.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My died after about 6 mths, on my 6th replacement due to issues with the previous ones.

Thanks everyone who responds, but can people try to be a little more specific and less ambiguous to make this effort more useful. What were the "issues" with your five other replacement units? I had also suggested elsewhere that it would be useful if people state what Epson did in response, whether they received a "refurbished" unit(s) as replacement, how long they have had the replacement unit and whether the replacement has been operating without issue. Thanks!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
The poll is a good idea. Thanks for making it. I do think the sample may be biased, however, in that people who have had issues may be more likely to take the poll at all, especially given the name of the poll. We can already see that almost all the posts so far are from people who have had issues. So I think the results are likely to overstate the frequency of the problem by a pretty large amount.

If someone were to go through all the Amazon reviews and take the % of people reporting a given issue, that may be more representative of what's happening in the market. That data source doesn't have the same kind of bias that this poll will likely have. At a minimum, the Amazon check would be a good sanity check of these results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Epson 5040UB

Purchased:

February 1st, 2018

Current lamp use:

~ 60 hours

Going strong. No problems to report.

I know it's early but I thought I would reserve a spot and update this if something happens.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The poll is a good idea. Thanks for making it. I do think the sample may be biased, however, in that people who have had issues may be more likely to take the poll at all, especially given the name of the poll. We can already see that almost all the posts so far are from people who have had issues. So I think the results are likely to overstate the frequency of the problem by a pretty large amount.

If someone were to go through all the Amazon reviews and take the % of people reporting a given issue, that may be more representative of what's happening in the market. That data source doesn't have the same kind of bias that this poll will likely have. At a minimum, the Amazon check would be a good sanity check of these results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good points. However, so far the vote is 7:1 for people who have had no faults at all. But yes, a danger of any polls of this nature is that they can be self selecting.

Good idea about Amazon.

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looked at Amazon. The result is that there are are a small number of people reporting failure of the power supply and a very large number of people who are having no problems at all.

81% give the unit a 5 or 4 star rating, with the remaining 19% making up the 3, 2 and 1 star. Unsurprisingly the majority of the 15 1 star reviewers mention power supply failures. In the 2 star category, a few mention it. And in the 3 star category most of the negative comments are about HDR issues or other (non power supply) issues.

So, based on 164 owners, the overwhelming majority are not reporting any negative issues, with a small (about 15%) percentage being unhappy for various reasons, including power supply issues.

The conclusion seems to be that while power supply failures are definitely an issue with this unit, they are very much in the minority (as with our own poll so far, albeit with small sample size). So the odds are that if you do buy this unit, or do own one, you will be OK, but there is a defined risk that you may not be. How we view that is, of course, open to question...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 257 Posts