AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Check out the recent posts on the Official 5040 thread. Dave Harper has created custom grayscale settings that apparently produce an incredible image for HDR content.

Agree. The bandwidth limitation was short-sited. I'm waiting for a revision with a new chipset. Not so sure I will wait for Dolby Vision if it's not in the next model. I can't wait forever.

This is true. I can't wait til the next revision. I'd like to pick something up by July, August at the latest. I'm looking at some of the upcoming Optoma offerings. Hopefully they've got what I want in similar price range. Unfortunately, from all the speculations, it looks like the 5040 might be still be the best bet.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
This is true. I can't wait til the next revision. I'd like to pick something up by July, August at the latest. I'm looking at some of the upcoming Optoma offerings. Hopefully they've got what I want in similar price range. Unfortunately, from all the speculations, it looks like the 5040 might be still be the best bet.
Optomas are DLP and no 3D.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree that there are limitations to the 5040, but I wouldn't use the word "unfortunately". It's a pretty darn capable projector, especially considering the price. I compare it to my neighbor's 5 year old JVC, which was considerably more expensive, and it the Epson is dramatically better. If we wait for the perfect, reasonably priced projector, we might never get one. I'm going to take the plunge.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Look, I love the Epson 5040UB. Why they couldn't find the budget to include full 18gbps spec in their HDMI board is a mystery to me. All in all, it's a wonderful pj but, no DolbyVision. If I had it to do over again, I'd wait until there was a projector that's affordable and can do all of the latest HDR and 4K decoding. After spending north of 16k in the last 12 months upgrading gear, I'm still falling short. Our needs demand a projector. Flat panel just will not make it for us. It would be nice if there could be a hardware upgrade to bring our gear up to current for hobbyists that take the risk of early adoption, only to once again fall slightly short of enough bandwidth, to decode all picture and sound features. It's damn frustrating. I don't have a bottomless bank account, nor should I have to. I've spent enough to be at the top of the totem pole.
I feel your pain sir, I spent over 12K upgrading my equipment, including discounts, over the last year (i.e AVR, projector, etc). I wish I could purchase a real 4k projector, but alas had to settle for the Epson 6040UB. Based on Harper Vision config (4K HDR, thanks Dave), and the multiple Memory settings (Qty:10), I utilize 9 of them, I am very happy with this projector, even though DV is not an option. I figure the Epson 6040UB will last until true 4K projector prices fall and I can sell my Epson 6040, then of course there will be 8K projectors, but I digress. The only thing constant is change (technology), we will never catch up, only compromise, can you say technology refresh, this hobby never ends...Enjoy,

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'd go with the Epson, more advantages and still has awesome black levels, the eshift 4k works great, awesome customer service, plus the other things you listed.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Will any of the JVC's play Dolby Cinema? Do the high end 4K's play it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also recently had to pick between the 5040 and x570 and viewed them both. While the JVC had better blacks, the vertical banding while using cmd made the 5040 the clear choice for me.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
I had the Epson 6040. And now I have the JVC RS400. I really want to like the JVC however I must admit I am a bit underwhelmed. Colors brightness seems flat.

Black levels are good but not great without iris enabled. No direct sharpness control. Only the "enhance" setting which leaves the picture either too soft or over pixelated. Seems to be alot of noise in the image without noise reduction setting enabled.

The Epson 6040 had excellent color brightness and showed a naturally sharp image. My only complaint with the 6040 was it's low native contrast without it's iris enabled. It's blacks were noticeably inferior to the Sony HW45ES without it's iris enabled.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
@LumensLover, in your eternal search for the unicorn, er, perfect projector that doesn't exist and never will you are doomed to spend the rest of your life rejecting every imperfect projector in the universe one by one by one. ;)
Understood. Though I prefer to try various models and learn about the strengths and weaknesses of each. Rather than give in to the prevailing attitude in this forum which is "I'll wait for the next generation of projectors with fewer flaws to be released. Until then I will stick with my Benq W1070."

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Understood. Though I would rather try various models and learn about the strengths and weaknesses of each. Rather than give in to the prevailing attitude in this forum which is "I'll wait for the next generation of projectors with fewer flaws to be released. Until then I will stick with my Benq W1070."
After subscribing and reading a bunch of different threads on the forum here, the right projector for a person all depends on personal opinion of what you want out of it, comparing it to what you currently do or don't have and cost to me. I have not seen the Benq W1070 so I can't say what it looks like, but I have seen the Epson 5040, 6040, Sony 40ES, JVC-RS400, 420, 520 and 600. They all looked great to me and I would be happy with any of them really, but the best out of the bunch I thought was the JVC-600, but it was also the most expensive at over $5K for a used projector.

I have a 720p projector so anything above that will blow it away, I am just trying to find a good projector that I can use for at least 10 years or more, because my wife is not going let me spend a ton of every few years to upgrade. I am liking the price of the new UHD60/65, but Epson now has another e-shift projector in the HC4000 witch is close to the 5040 and about $300 to $400 less so may go that route because of the powered zoom lens so I can use a scoped screen.

I have almost bought a BenQ W1070 or an Epson 2045, but am waiting a little longer till I decide on my theater room. It is looking like it may go from a dedicated theater to more of a media room. My wife likes the idea of it being more open to what will at some point be our bar/game room in our basement. This just means I may have to soundproof a bigger area now say 1100 sq ft or so. This hobby can be very expensive, but a lot of fun.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm currently debating between keeping my 5040ub or going with the 420. If I could score one for 3K would it be best to go with the 420? Do we have a clear winner here? I game alot in 4k on my PC, PS4 Pro and will watch 4k HDR movies when given the chance. I mainly will be streaming movies and shows however and I watch alot of basketball and football. Which of these is best?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm currently debating between keeping my 5040ub or going with the 420. If I could score one for 3K would it be best to go with the 420? Do we have a clear winner here? I game alot in 4k on my PC, PS4 Pro and will watch 4k HDR movies when given the chance. I mainly will be streaming movies and shows however and I watch alot of basketball and football. Which of these is best?
The best one is the new projector about to come out. Seriously, wait 30 days (or less) as Cedia is happening and announcements with new models will be coming out shortly. Saw some posts from France I think this morning and they are already discussing a much cheaper true 4k Sony. Lot's will be happening the 1st week of September. I am holding out to see what there is, and if nothing grabs me I will purchase one of the current models at a reduced price!

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Want the perfect projector... Here it is. Side by side 4K setup. 220" diagonal for each size. A total of over 30' of width. 32x9 aspect ratio...

Unfortunately, not projection.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a chance to spend some time with both projectors: RS420 and 5040UB in dedicated room.

Few observations after testing several movies/settings: SDR, HDR and 3D

- Epson is brighter (from the tests also you can read it has ~ 500 lumens more when calibrated)
- HDR is stunning on both
- Epson seems sharper
- JVC image was more soft and bit more deep (plasticity)
- on / off contrast is higher on JVC, blacks better but not to that extent that it is significant viewing difference
- ANSI contrast is higher on Epson which provides good details when there is same time black and white scenes on the screen
- Epson has HDMI limitation, JVC has full speed HDMI (wonder if Epson get this fixed for CEDIA/IFA in September)

I didn't check gaming but from the specs both should work fine, lags are very low (restriction in Epson causes on consoles you cannot do both 4K and HDR same time).

- JVC takes some time to sync, Epson was faster in detecting HDMI source
- 3d I liked more on Epson due to extra brightness and flicker free (initial crosstalk disappeared after changing the settings, JVC was crosstalk/ghosting free but I was able to see flicker, some may not notice it but refresh is lower in 3d: Epson has 120hz, JVC 96hz)
- small thing Epson has motorized lens cover, JVC doesnt (only higher models RS520/RS620 have it)
- From what I recall JVC has blur reduction working also in 4K mode while frame interpolation is not working in Epson when 4k enhancement is on.

You cannot go wrong with buying these projectors.

Reactions: Haiej

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
Want the perfect projector... Here it is. Side by side 4K setup. 220" diagonal for each size. A total of over 30' of width. 32x9 aspect ratio...

Unfortunately, not projection.
I think a lot of us assume the days of projection are numbered, assuming video wall tech like the Sony CLEDIS and other similar direct LED or OLED modular video walls come down in price at the historical rates we've seen for current TV panels and projectors

Could take 10 years to get there re: size vs cost for us below $3k'ers, though

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
I think a lot of us assume the days of projection are numbered, assuming video wall tech like the Sony CLEDIS and other similar direct LED or OLED modular video walls come down in price at the historical rates we've seen for current TV panels and projectors

Could take 10 years to get there re: size vs cost for us below $3k'ers, though
I concur. I strongly believe home theater projectors will be obsolete in ten years.

·
Registered
8,697 Posts
I concur. I strongly believe home theater projectors will be obsolete in ten years.
I've also envisioned flexible large size OLED screens, capable of being rolled up into projector screen size housings. Buy and install like a retractable projection screen, but the image is generated on the screen, no projector needed.

These screen wall techs will take time to mature and cost reduce, so there's many years left in the projector space.

Plus, nostalgic and/or film purists will probably want bulb based projectors for the authentic theater look and feel.

Be tough to beat 5040UB refurbs for ~$2K or less for many years :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a chance to spend some time with both projectors: RS420 and 5040UB in dedicated room.

Few observations after testing several movies/settings: SDR, HDR and 3D

- Epson is brighter (from the tests also you can read it has ~ 500 lumens more when calibrated)

- HDR is stunning on both

- Epson seems sharper

- JVC image was more soft and bit more deep (plasticity)

- on / off contrast is higher on JVC, blacks better but not to that extent that it is significant viewing difference

- ANSI contrast is higher on Epson which provides good details when there is same time black and white scenes on the screen

- Epson has HDMI limitation, JVC has full speed HDMI (wonder if Epson get this fixed for CEDIA/IFA in September)

I didn't check gaming but from the specs both should work fine, lags are very low (restriction in Epson causes on consoles you cannot do both 4K and HDR same time).

- JVC takes some time to sync, Epson was faster in detecting HDMI source

- 3d I liked more on Epson due to extra brightness and flicker free (initial crosstalk disappeared after changing the settings, JVC was crosstalk/ghosting free but I was able to see flicker, some may not notice it but refresh is lower in 3d: Epson has 120hz, JVC 96hz)

- small thing Epson has motorized lens cover, JVC doesnt (only higher models RS520/RS620 have it)

- From what I recall JVC has blur reduction working also in 4K mode while frame interpolation is not working in Epson when 4k enhancement is on.

You cannot go wrong with buying these projectors.

Bumping this for the guy in the uhd60/uhd65 thread considering the JVC and Epson too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 93 Posts