AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have an Epson 5040ub with plans to paint a screen wall. I’ve been a long time lurker, so I know MM is the go to guy for DIY painted screens. My current ceiling mounted throw distance is 11’ 6”. The wall dimensions are 14’ 8’. I also have a light controlled room with dark walls. UHD Movies are my main viewing preference.

I’m currently in the skim coating phase...getting rid of orange peel texture and making a true level 5 finish. I’ve got an HVLP sprayer with 1mm tip all ready to go for the priming and SF application.

My big question is: What Silver Fire 2.5 variant do you recommend?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,467 Posts
Hi guys,

I have an Epson 5040ub with plans to paint a screen wall. I’ve been a long time lurker, so I know MM is the go to guy for DIY painted screens. My current ceiling mounted throw distance is 11’ 6”. The wall dimensions are 14’ 8’. I also have a light controlled room with dark walls. UHD Movies are my main viewing preference.

I’m currently in the skim coating phase...getting rid of orange peel texture and making a true level 5 finish. I’ve got an HVLP sprayer with 1mm tip all ready to go for the priming and SF application.

My big question is: What Silver Fire 2.5 variant do you recommend?

Hello Joe!

Welcome to active posting, and the start of your Project!

To start, with a Throw of 11'-6" you have a maximum 16:9 screen size range limitation of 110" diagonal. If you cannot move the PJ placement back, the first decision to make is exactly what size screen you can and will accept. I would hope you could move the PJ back to 12'-9" and go up to 122" diagonal (60" x 196" @ 16:9) so that in 2.39:1 mode you could enjoy an image that is 106" x 44" off your UHD Discs.

I'm here to help you nail it down.

A lot of info I could use is still absent:

• Room dimensions (all of them)
  • Seating distance
  • Do you try to employ HDR with your UHD Movies? (5040's 12 gb input limitations)
  • Are you in fact wanting to paint the entire Wall with SF or just a predetermined sized area?

The following is based upon a standard 3 Quart sized SF Mix...and such a quantity would not provide coverage across 14'-8"

So...assuming that 110" will be the screen size settled upon...............................

Your choice with the room as described is fairly simple. If you go with Silver Fire v.2.5 w/No Colorant, you will have maximum gain, and still retain the improved Blacks and saturated Colors SF affords. At 110" diagonal, the screen would have just over 3' distance from each end of the screen to the side wall (54" x 96")

You would in fact be able to run the 5040 on Low Lamp Mode without HDR engaged if you desire....further improving Black levels.

Or.......if you keep on Normal Lamp Mode you could use up to 4 oz SF/BF Colorant and have the black levels become OLED-like, yet still have vibrant saturated Colors and bright Whites. You would still have enough screen brightness that the 5040's penchant to show many UHD-HDR titles as too dark would not be an issue.

If instead you choose the larger screen size option (122" diagonal) I would suggest limiting yourself a SF 2.0

Sometimes at these points preconceived plans must be adapted. I can bear the weight of being the Buzz Kill Merchant, or the satisfaction of giving you all the pleasure your hoping for. No matter the choice you make, you can be assured of getting not just what you expect...but a good deal more than your expectations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Joe!

Welcome to active posting, and the start of your Project!

To start, with a Throw of 11'-6" you have a maximum 16:9 screen size range limitation of 110" diagonal. If you cannot move the PJ placement back, the first decision to make is exactly what size screen you can and will accept. I would hope you could move the PJ back to 12'-9" and go up to 122" diagonal (60" x 196" @ 16:9) so that in 2.39:1 mode you could enjoy an image that is 106" x 44" off your UHD Discs.

I'm here to help you nail it down.

A lot of info I could use is still absent:

• Room dimensions (all of them)
  • Seating distance
  • Do you try to employ HDR with your UHD Movies? (5040's 12 gb input limitations)
  • Are you in fact wanting to paint the entire Wall with SF or just a predetermined sized area?

The following is based upon a standard 3 Quart sized SF Mix...and such a quantity would not provide coverage across 14'-8"

So...assuming that 110" will be the screen size settled upon...............................

Your choice with the room as described is fairly simple. If you go with Silver Fire v.2.5 w/No Colorant, you will have maximum gain, and still retain the improved Blacks and saturated Colors SF affords. At 110" diagonal, the screen would have just over 3' distance from each end of the screen to the side wall (54" x 96")

You would in fact be able to run the 5040 on Low Lamp Mode without HDR engaged if you desire....further improving Black levels.

Or.......if you keep on Normal Lamp Mode you could use up to 4 oz SF/BF Colorant and have the black levels become OLED-like, yet still have vibrant saturated Colors and bright Whites. You would still have enough screen brightness that the 5040's penchant to show many UHD-HDR titles as too dark would not be an issue.

If instead you choose the larger screen size option (122" diagonal) I would suggest limiting yourself a SF 2.0

Sometimes at these points preconceived plans must be adapted. I can bear the weight of being the Buzz Kill Merchant, or the satisfaction of giving you all the pleasure your hoping for. No matter the choice you make, you can be assured of getting not just what you expect...but a good deal more than your expectations.

As much as I want to move the PJ back, it is not possible in this converted bedroom/office. I’m at the room’s dimensional limits.

- Room dimensions are a 12.5ft x 12.5ft...with 8 foot ceilings. The screen wall extends to the entryway of the room adding roughly 2ft of space that is out of the projectors field of view. The extra 2ft of space is almost always covered, assuming the door is open. So...kind of a waste of paint it would seem. Open to suggestions.

- Seating distance is 11ft.

- I do use HDR, although I’ll probably need to upgrade the projector in the future if I want to get “real” HDR performance.

At this point, based on your advice, I’m leaning towards SF/BF 2.5 w/ 4oz colorant. OLED-like black levels are just what I’m looking for.

Thank you for all of the info MM. I’m open to all ideas. Looking forward to this whole project.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,467 Posts
Ideas? You just had'ta ask.....

Ok...now I can understand and realize why you would..or might have to accept having a smaller diagonal screen.

12' x 12' is what I call a "Pocket Home Theater", but that's not bad because with the right approach for both Audio & Video it can easily become a "Virtual Reality Cube".

110" would seem to be ideally suited for you....however with the projector already in place you can experiment by putting on a UHD Movie that is 2.39:1 and zoom out to within the last 5% of your PJ's range.

That would represent your Maximum Image Width for that format, and while that might be too wide in 16:9 because of the increased image height, it would be great for immersion when watching CinemaScope content. The 5040 has Lens Memory so enacting changes between Formats is no issue at all.

After finding out what that maximum width is, you would use that dimension along with what you consider the maximum allowable height for 16:9 and use that to determine the maximum area to paint.

So you would have a painted area that would be called "Non Format Specific" and let you choose just how big an image you want in any given instance.

Normally that would entail simply choosing the maximum Image Width and then painting the Wall from Baseboard to Ceiling to that width or perhaps a extra 12" to both sides (120" wide) But painting a 10' x 8' area with a 3 Quart Mix could and most likely would leave you shy, whereas one whose height was limited to just beyond the maximum "height" size required for the 16:9 would not. Cosmetically though, painting from Floor to Ceiling, that would be the best choice and exactly what I would do if doing such for someone.

The beauty of doing it in that manner would be the SF' 4.0's ability to mask the Format Bars (both Horizontal & Vertical) so that you would not need any Screen Trim whatsoever. You'd simply have the image size of Choice. That would also serve to accommodate a future upgrade into a Short Throw true 4K PJ, one that could use even more of the available Painted wall area.

I gotta assume your using Floor Standing or Bookshelf Speakers, so leaving the necessary space required for the Center Channel also comes into play here....but considering that a 60" high 16:9 on a 8' wall would leave you with 36" open wall to use should give you viable options....say keeping the topmost edge of the image 8" from the Ceiling (in 16:9) and retaining 28" of space off the Floor...pleanty for a lower placed Center Channel in a smaller sized room.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty, after doing some tests, it looks like 100”x 60” SF v2.5 4.0 will be ideal for my situation. If I add some foam panels to the left and right of the painted screen, it will rather nicely frame the wall and help with the aesthetics of the room.

The bottom 24” of the wall will actually be covered by some furniture which also hold my front 3 speakers, so painting all the way to the baseboard probably won’t be necessary.

Thanks for all of the great info MM!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,467 Posts
Alrighty, after doing some tests, it looks like 100”x 60” SF v2.5 4.0 will be ideal for my situation. If I add some foam panels to the left and right of the painted screen, it will rather nicely frame the wall and help with the aesthetics of the room.

The bottom 24” of the wall will actually be covered by some furniture which also hold my front 3 speakers, so painting all the way to the baseboard probably won’t be necessary.

Thanks for all of the great info MM!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Mississippi,

I’m gathering my SF v2.5 4.0 ingredients.
Let me know if the amounts are correct.

32 oz Pearl
12 oz Silver Metallic
20 oz PPG Diamond Flat
4 oz Colorant

20 oz. Matte Poly
16 oz water (+ additional until SF mix is sprayable)

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,467 Posts
Ok Mississippi,

I’m gathering my SF v2.5 4.0 ingredients.
Let me know if the amounts are correct.

32 oz Pearl
12 oz Silver Metallic
20 oz PPG Diamond Flat
4 oz Colorant

20 oz. Matte Poly
16 oz water (+ additional until SF mix is sprayable)

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts