AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
At this point skip the 5040UB or 6040UB models and go for the refurb 5050UB for $2250 or new for $2700.

The gimped 10gps HDMI chipset and inferior HDR on the 5040 and 6040 isn’t worth buying at $1700 IMO. At $1200 for the Refurb 5040UB it’s still worth buying it if you can find it that cheap (like it used to be).

I say this as a 5040UB owner.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
At this point skip the 5040UB or 6040UB models and go for the refurb 5050UB for $2250 or new for $2700.

The gimped 10gps HDMI chipset and inferior HDR on the 5040 and 6040 isn’t worth buying at $1700 IMO. At $1200 for the Refurb 5040UB it’s still worth buying it if you can find it that cheap (like it used to be).

I say this as a 5040UB owner.
I just bought a 6040ub with extended warranty for $1700, so 5 years of coverage. Could not get myself to spend $700 for a refurb 5050 especially since my target was a NX5 but at $5k a lot more than I wanted to spend. Coming from a ten year old epson 6500ub, its a night and day difference. I figured the 6040 will easily keep me happy for 5 years and by then true 4k and HDR 10 projectors should be a lot more reasonable...guess it depends on ones plans and where they are coming from....

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
I just bought a 6040ub with extended warranty for $1700, so 5 years of coverage. Could not get myself to spend $700 for a refurb 5050 especially since my target was a NX5 but at $5k a lot more than I wanted to spend. Coming from a ten year old epson 6500ub, its a night and day difference. I figured the 6040 will easily keep me happy for 5 years and by then true 4k and HDR 10 projectors should be a lot more reasonable...guess it depends on ones plans and where they are coming from....
I’ll be curious what your take on HDR is given some time. I flat out disable my HDR on the 5040UB. It’s bad. And it’s not just my sample. I’ve had 5. The SDR is great. That’s why I kept it. That and the price since I paid ~$1200 for my refurbed.

If HDR frustrates you like it does me on the x040UB series then I’ll give you some hints to just rid it and make everything look like SDR does on this projector — which is great!

Buy the Panasonic DP-UB420 for $150 on sale right now and B&H Photo. Lots of folks say you can use the HDR slider and optimization on it to make HDR good on projectors with poor HDR, (which I’d say to varying degrees is anything less than the JVC NX series). But I’ve found in my tinkering I just prefer to have the Panasonic player remap HDR disks to SDR with BT2020 color mapping.

For streaming media buy a Roku 4K stick and simply choose 4K 60Hz Instead of 4K 60Hz HDR in the display settings.

With HDR remapped to SDR, 4K UHD HDR Blu-ray disks are good experience instead of a frustrating muddy dark mess of one.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I’ll be curious what your take on HDR is given some time. I flat out disable my HDR on the 5040UB. It’s bad. And it’s not just my sample. I’ve had 5. The SDR is great. That’s why I kept it. That and the price since I paid ~$1200 for like refurbed.

If HDR frustrates you like it does me on the x040UB series then I’ll give you some hints to just rid it.

Buy the Panasonic DP-UB420 for $150 on sale right now and B&H. Lots of folks say you can use the HDR slider and optimization on it to make HDR good on projectors with poor HDR, (which I’d say to varying degrees is anything less than the JVC NX series). But I’ve found in my tinkering I just prefer to have the Panasonic player remap HDR to SDR BT2020.

For streaming media buy a Roku 4K stick and simply choose 4K 60Hz Instead if 4K 60Hz HDR in the display settings.

With HDR remapped to SDR, 4K UHD HDR Blu-ray disks are good experience instead of a frustrating muddy dark mess of one.
Yeah thanks man, I appreciate the tips. Just having stepped into this world of HDR, tone mapping etc, I am having to learn things a bit. One thing for me is that I play pretty much all my media via a portable drive where I have the stripped movie files. I am not sure if the panny will play media especially UHD through a USB connection? The Oppo 203 I have does play but I am sure it does not do HDR as good as what the panny does perhaps. I know it struggles to play 3D files from the portable drive and plays 3D material only with a physical disk. It just gets stuck at 50% load. Any idea of the panny capabilities in this regard?

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Yeah thanks man, I appreciate the tips. Just having stepped into this world of HDR, tone mapping etc, I am having to learn things a bit. One thing for me is that I play pretty much all my media via a portable drive where I have the stripped movie files. I am not sure if the panny will play media especially UHD through a USB connection? The Oppo 203 I have does play but I am sure it does not do HDR as good as what the panny does perhaps. I know it struggles to play 3D files from the portable drive and plays 3D material only with a physical disk. It just gets stuck at 50% load. Any idea of the panny capabilities in this regard?
I believe the Panasonic is considered the best HDR remapping device out there right now with the exception of MadVR. I never had an oppo so I don’t know much about them. The Panasonic cannot play HDCP protected ripped media files from USB. So that opportunity is only with the oppo. The Panasonic excels at playing 4K disks. It has a streaming interface too with the same fantastic video processing, but frankly the look, feel, speed of the streaming GUI feels a decade old.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I believe the Panasonic is considered the best HDR remapping device out there right now with the exception of MadVR. I never had an oppo so I don’t know much about them. The Panasonic cannot play HDCP protected ripped media files from USB. So that opportunity is only with the oppo. The Panasonic excels at playing 4K disks. It has a streaming interface too with the same fantastic video processing, but frankly the look, feel, speed of the GUI feels a decade old.
Yeah that is a conundrum for me at the moment...may look into some other options player wise but not sure there are many. May be Nvidia shield....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts