AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 437 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with experience of these models have an opinion on the value proposition of these projectors? I have a dedicated theater with total light control and my aging Sony HW50 1080P projector. I want excellent contrast and 4K/HDR, and didn’t think the Epson would compete but I jut saw the Epson running at a theater store and it looks pretty darn nice. I can’t demo a JVC around here that I know of.

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
Anyone with experience of these models have an opinion on the value proposition of these projectors? I have a dedicated theater with total light control and my aging Sony HW50 1080P projector. I want excellent contrast and 4K/HDR, and didn’t think the Epson would compete but I jut saw the Epson running at a theater store and it looks pretty darn nice. I can’t demo a JVC around here that I know of.
I own the 6050. I have a 120 Seymour Glacier White Screen 16x9. Velvet black pit dedicated theater. The 6050 throws a sharp detailed image. HDR performance is really good . Blacks are really good. The JVC projectors are sharper and have better blacks. Higher contrast with the JVC does present an image with more depth and better shadow details. The Dynamic Tone Mapping firmware update that came out for the JVC lineup in October only further increased its HDR advantage over the Epson. Brighter image overall without sacrificing specular highlights and shadow details. The HDR is much more set and forget on THE JVC. Your room conditions will really allow either projector to live up to it's full potential. The JVC has the better overall performance. If you had a non light controlled room and really needed the extra lumens maybe the Epson would fit your room better but that is not the case. The NX7 is slightly brighter than the NX5 and has the DCI-P3 COLOR filter which will give better saturation of colors and will help with HDR. Only you can decide if the price differences are worth the better performance. But the differences between all 3 are noticeable under the correct room conditions and viewing high resolution content. How close you will sit does impact how much of a difference you will see for faux 4k versus native 4k. On the typical 120 inch screen the detail brought out by the additional pixels of true 4k are readily apparent at 10 ft and closer. Further out the differences are less apparent. But regardless of viewing distance the HDR , contrast and sharpness of the JVC 4k projectors will be appreciable by most video enthusiasts. Your average viewer would notice probably only when you point it out to them. I have seen all three projectors under optimal viewing conditions and if money were not a factor I would choose the NX7.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it worth consider the older JVC DLA-X970R? Similar price to the Epson 6050UB and both are pixel shifters. Better contrast to the NX7 and 6059UB?

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
Is it worth consider the older JVC DLA-X970R? Similar price to the Epson 6050UB and both are pixel shifters. Better contrast to the NX7 and 6059UB?
Definitely worth considering if you can find one with a warranty. The NX7 and NX5 are still at the top and the 6050 is much easier to get HDR performance from. You can get great HDR from the 970r but you need customized curves . The 790R wins for Contrast and black levels over the other projectors. It is an amazing pixel shifter.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own the 6050. I have a 120 Seymour Glacier White Screen 16x9. Velvet black pit dedicated theater. The 6050 throws a sharp detailed image. HDR performance is really good . Blacks are really good. The JVC projectors are sharper and have better blacks. Higher contrast with the JVC does present an image with more depth and better shadow details. The Dynamic Tone Mapping firmware update that came out for the JVC lineup in October only further increased its HDR advantage over the Epson. Brighter image overall without sacrificing specular highlights and shadow details. The HDR is much more set and forget on THE JVC. Your room conditions will really allow either projector to live up to it's full potential. The JVC has the better overall performance. If you had a non light controlled room and really needed the extra lumens maybe the Epson would fit your room better but that is not the case. The NX7 is slightly brighter than the NX5 and has the DCI-P3 COLOR filter which will give better saturation of colors and will help with HDR. Only you can decide if the price differences are worth the better performance. But the differences between all 3 are noticeable under the correct room conditions and viewing high resolution content. How close you will sit does impact how much of a difference you will see for faux 4k versus native 4k. On the typical 120 inch screen the detail brought out by the additional pixels of true 4k are readily apparent at 10 ft and closer. Further out the differences are less apparent. But regardless of viewing distance the HDR , contrast and sharpness of the JVC 4k projectors will be appreciable by most video enthusiasts. Your average viewer would notice probably only when you point it out to them. I have seen all three projectors under optimal viewing conditions and if money were not a factor I would choose the NX7.

I find it interesting that you recommend the JVC if money isn’t an issue (it always is) but bought a 6050UB which is the other I’m considering, which sort of implies it was “good enough”. That’s what I’m trying to get a feel for and you’d be a good person to tell since you’ve seen both and own one of them. If I can feed 4K, get good or great contrast/blacks, good motion, gold upscaling, etc from 4K eshift 6050UB, plus get an extra lamp and longer warranty (plus mount as I understand it) and it’s 5x better than my Sony HW50 for $3000 less than the JVC NX-7... that’s hard to say no to. How about when compared to the NX5?

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Is your room blacked out entirely?

What is your Screen Size, and how far from the screen do you sit?

Will you be doing 4k gaming?

------------------------------------

The main reason to take the NX-5 over the previous JVC is because of the tone mapping for streaming, or if you are a gamer that wants 4k.

The NX series are sharper, but this should really only benefit gamers or people sitting very close MOST of the time. However, the NX series might be slightly cleaner, but to me it'd still be a hard call between the NX-5 and JVC RS-540 / x790 if your decision is ONLY based on contrast.

I've seen native commercial 4k projectors WAY sharper than JVC's, and in that case it made some difference, but it wasn't dramatic. I looked at the pixels up close because I was the only there on a Tuesday morning. Some of those commercial projectors, even though they are 3 chippers, have such perfect alignment that they appeared sharper than a single chip DLP. However, they are like $50k+ projectors, so in that case I'm assuming the MFR uses a completely different alignment system. I have seen some commercial 4k projectors that weren't that sharp also, but seen a couple that were mind blowing.

I still say contrast is more noticeable than sharpness from most peoples seating distances, unless you are gaming.

The Epson will have a more aggressive Dynamic Iris than the JVC's, which only kick-in on pure black pretty much (maybe a tiny bit with a few white pixels).
This can be both good or bad at times, as DI motion will be easier detected on the Epson.

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
I find it interesting that you recommend the JVC if money isn’t an issue (it always is) but bought a 6050UB which is the other I’m considering, which sort of implies it was “good enough”. That’s what I’m trying to get a feel for and you’d be a good person to tell since you’ve seen both and own one of them. If I can feed 4K, get good or great contrast/blacks, good motion, gold upscaling, etc from 4K eshift 6050UB, plus get an extra lamp and longer warranty (plus mount as I understand it) and it’s 5x better than my Sony HW50 for $3000 less than the JVC NX-7... that’s hard to say no to. How about when compared to the NX5?
For all the compelling arguments you made pro Epson I went with it. It delivers a very pleasing HDR and SDR image. I compared an NX5 to the 6050 prior to purchasing. This was before the DYNAMIC TONE MAPPING update. I didn't look at an NX7 because it was just out of my budget completely. I was super happy with the extra cash in my pocket from the Epson, until JVC gave the free firmware update. Then I spent more time with my friend's NX5. The HDR rarely needs any adjusting. The Epson I adjust for content and even find myself adjusting the HDR slider within a movie. I don't feel the need to do so with the JVC PROJECTORS. Because of the dynamic tone mapping I would at this time choose the JVC over the Epson. Even with the higher lamp costs. I watch about 40% HDR content. Which will only increase. The deeper blacks, better depth, better contrast, sharper image and more detailed image were all in favor of the NX5 over the 6050 back in May when the Epson came out. I just didn't feel the price difference was justified. The dynamic tone mapping IMHO justifies the higher cost along with the other picture quality pros mentioned above.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Is your room blacked out entirely?
No windows, so total light control. Wall where the screen is, is painted dark brown. The rest of the walls and ceiling are a medium tan/brown.

What is your Screen Size, and how far from the screen do you sit?

Will you be doing 4k gaming?
120” screen, 1.2 gain matte material.

Sit about 14-15 feet away. Thinking that favors the 6050UB since that’s probably a distance far enough that its 4k-shifting will probably be indistinguishable from native 4k.

This can be both good or bad at times, as DI motion will be easier detected on the Epson.
DI motion? Dynamic Iris? Is this referring to black pulsing from the DI?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For all the compelling arguments you made pro Epson I went with it. It delivers a very pleasing HDR and SDR image. I compared an NX5 to the 6050 prior to purchasing. This was before the DYNAMIC TONE MAPPING update. I didn't look at an NX7 because it was just out of my budget completely. I was super happy with the extra cash in my pocket from the Epson, until JVC gave the free firmware update. Then I spent more time with my friend's NX5. The HDR rarely needs any adjusting. The Epson I adjust for content and even find myself adjusting the HDR slider within a movie. I don't feel the need to do so with the JVC PROJECTORS. Because of the dynamic tone mapping I would at this time choose the JVC over the Epson. Even with the higher lamp costs. I watch about 40% HDR content. Which will only increase. The deeper blacks, better depth, better contrast, sharper image and more detailed image were all in favor of the NX5 over the 6050 back in May when the Epson came out. I just didn't feel the price difference was justified. The dynamic tone mapping IMHO justifies the higher cost along with the other picture quality pros mentioned above.

Exactly the sort of posts I was hoping for that really laid out the differences and whether they’re worth it. Thanks!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@pdoherty972 what's the screen format and fabric type?
How far is the projector from the screen, or what other distance could it be mounted at?
Not sure what type of fabric. It’s matte material at 1.2 gain.

Projector is about 15-16 feet from the screen. Most viewing is done from the back row of seats which are at 14-15 feet, with the front row just ahead of that at about 12-13 feet.

·
Banned
4,169 Posts
No windows, so total light control. Wall where the screen is, is painted dark brown. The rest of the walls and ceiling are a medium tan/brown.

Sit about 14-15 feet away. Thinking that favors the 6050UB since that’s probably a distance far enough that its 4k-shifting will probably be indistinguishable from native 4k.

DI motion?
DI stands for dynamic Iris. Some people are more susceptible to seeing the DI pumping when the scene changes from dark to bright and vice versa. I have only noticed it a handful of times when viewing content on my 6050. The DI helps with contrast and black levels. Think of it as a brief flash of bright when going from a dark scene to a lighter one.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts

I would choose the JVC RS-540/x790 or NX-5 for that screen size, personally I'd probably take the RS-540 at that distance. The NX 5 is favored for tone mapping, but you'll have plenty of extra brightness to just change the aperture setting when something is too dark anyways. Though the NX-5 tone mapper could potentially help balance the image or make it contrastier looking, the Panny 420 does a good job for movies anyhow.

The extra sharpness of the NX-5 will make very little to basically no difference from that seating position. Maybe a tiny tiny bit from the front rows, but even your front rows are pretty far back. The extra contrast of the RS-540 will allow those space scenes to look a bit more vivid, the difference in contrast is significant enough to be seen even in actual scenes, not just total blackouts.

I don't see a compelling reason to go with the Epson in this case, not for that screen size and your uses. I can see the argument for either NX-5 vs RS-540, but not really for the Epson.

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
Not sure what type of fabric. It’s matte material at 1.2 gain.

Projector is about 15-16 feet from the screen. Most viewing is done from the back row of seats which are at 14-15 feet, with the front row just ahead of that at about 12-13 feet.
I will be surprised if you do not want to move to the front row, once you have a better projector.

·
Registered
30,765 Posts
I would choose the JVC RS-540/x790 or NX-5 for that screen size, personally I'd probably take the RS-540 at that distance. The NX 5 is favored for tone mapping, but you'll have plenty of extra brightness to just change the aperture setting when something is too dark anyways. Though the NX-5 tone mapper could potentially help balance the image or make it contrastier looking, the Panny 420 does a good job for movies anyhow.

The extra sharpness of the NX-5 will make very little to basically no difference from that seating position. Maybe a tiny tiny bit from the front rows, but even your front rows are pretty far back. The extra contrast of the RS-540 will allow those space scenes to look a bit more vivid, the difference in contrast is significant enough to be seen even in actual scenes, not just total blackouts.

I don't see a compelling reason to go with the Epson in this case, not for that screen size and your uses. I can see the argument for either NX-5 vs RS-540, but not really for the Epson.
With JVC's free lamp offer on the RS2000, it makes the gap between the RS1000 and RS2000 pretty small.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
If I were sitting that far back, I would take the contrast over the resolution, am certain about that. From my own seating distance, 8' to 10' (variable reclining positions) from 118" Scope, I would have to A/B it to know. From that distance, it's an easy decision other than the tone mapping and better CMD mode I guess. It can go either way, but for me personally, I'll take the higher contrast of the RS-540. Problem is sharpness is so content-dependent anyhow.

At 12+ feet, pretty much all content looks 4k at that screen size, really close to it anyhow.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I’m in same situation. We stream all content through a roku player and my Epson 5040 sucks for hdr. I want a projector that I don’t have to fiddle with the settings for everything I watch. I want set and forget. But here is the rub. I have windows and during the day we watch sports and I hate to close the blinds. Sun dosnt hit the screen dead on but it’s bright in here. The 5040 has no problem with the ambient light for sports. I want a jvc nx7 for its hdr maping but I’m afraid during day it doesn’t have enough punch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sonus faber, Anthem, Monolith and JVC
2,158 Posts
For the price difference I would just go for a Epson 5050UB. You can get really good pricing on them.

Reactions: skylarlove1999

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
I’m in same situation. We stream all content through a roku player and my Epson 5040 sucks for hdr. I want a projector that I don’t have to fiddle with the settings for everything I watch. I want set and forget. But here is the rub. I have windows and during the day we watch sports and I hate to close the blinds. Sun dosnt hit the screen dead on but it’s bright in here. The 5040 has no problem with the ambient light for sports. I want a jvc nx7 for its hdr maping but I’m afraid during day it doesn’t have enough punch.
Dual projector setup then I guess.

1 - 20 of 437 Posts